Any thoughts on Curtis Granderson? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any thoughts on Curtis Granderson?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any thoughts on Curtis Granderson?

Postby horatio » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:40 pm

Just grabbed him off the waiver wire - Any reason to believe that he's playing over his head right now or will he keep up the good work? TIA - WHIR.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Any thoughts on Curtis Granderson?

Postby lowelltr » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:59 pm

I've had him all year, and am pretty happy with him. I wish he was a little less streaky...but when he's on, he's ON!
lowelltr
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MTUCache » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:06 pm

horatio wrote:Any reason to believe that he's playing over his head right now or will he keep up the good work? TIA - WHIR.

Pros:
- He bats leadoff for arguably the best offense in the Majors right now.
- He bats in front of the best hitter with RISP for the last three years in a row (Polanco)
- He bats in front of two of the best RBI guys in the league (Sheff and Maggs)
- He bats in a triple-friendly park.

Cons:
- He's usually sat against lefties. He's getting better against them, but still not consistant enough for Leyland's liking.
- He used to strike out a lot. With a new hitting coach and another year of experience he's getting much better this year, but historically he has struck out a lot.

All in all, I'm very surprised he's on any WW this year... an incredible pick-up for you.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stumpak » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:42 pm

If your roster allows it, a Ganderson/Monroe platoon is highly effective. Monroe shreds righties and Granderson will give you nice numbers against lefties. A Granderson/Monroe composite should easily net .280/25/15 over a full season no problem and it could be more like .290/30/20 - nothing to sneeze at. Having platoon players on a single team really maximizes them, and to me this is the most atractive such situation since Dellucci/Mench in Texas a couple of years ago.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sabolives » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:16 pm

stumpak wrote:If your roster allows it, a Ganderson/Monroe platoon is highly effective. Monroe shreds righties and Granderson will give you nice numbers against lefties. A Granderson/Monroe composite should easily net .280/25/15 over a full season no problem and it could be more like .290/30/20 - nothing to sneeze at. Having platoon players on a single team really maximizes them, and to me this is the most atractive such situation since Dellucci/Mench in Texas a couple of years ago.

You got mixed up there. Grandy shreds righties and Monroe hits the lefties. I've been pondering the same platoon myself, but Monroe, historically, isn't as good against lefties as he's shown thus far. Still one hell of a platoon.
sabolives
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby ScarletP » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:19 pm

He shouldn't be on any waiver wires (unless you're in a 4-team league). He's pretty horrible against lefties. Once he learns to steal bases, he's going to rack up a few more SBs. Anyone play in a league tha counts triples? He has 6 in his last 8 games 8-) 8-) 8-)
ScarletP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sabolives » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:32 pm

ScarletP wrote:He shouldn't be on any waiver wires (unless you're in a 4-team league). He's pretty horrible against lefties. Once he learns to steal bases, he's going to rack up a few more SBs. Anyone play in a league tha counts triples? He has 6 in his last 8 games 8-) 8-) 8-)

I play in a trips league. His trips pace is just ridiculous. Especially that so many of them are on the road. With his splits, I think he's legitimately one of the top 25 in a trips league. Combine him with a Lofton and you get a lower K player and higher speed. ;D
sabolives
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby horatio » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:33 pm

You guys are awesome, thanks for the feedback.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby The Mighty Trow » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:40 pm

Granderson was just put on the table in a trade - my league scores triples and walks, so someone like Granderson could be invaluable.

I recall people on the forum being very high on him going into last season, so there I assume we expected this kind of production from him at some point. There isn't a large sample size to work with, since for two seasons he only played post-ASB. But what are your thoughts for the rest of this year? Does he drop in production? Rise? Continue at the same pace? Would you want him going forward?
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby stumpak » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:51 pm

I would say around the same pace.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager