Basis for DET Playing Sean Casey. Any Ideas? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Basis for DET Playing Sean Casey. Any Ideas?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Basis for DET Playing Sean Casey. Any Ideas?

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:40 am

MTUCache wrote:I'll admit that Casey needs to pick it up before he loses his job... big time. But Shelton is not a solution at 1B. In fact, with the exception of the first couple of weeks of last season, Shelton's career has been borderline awful.

It's no secret the Tiger's could use more production out of both CI spots (Casey and Inge), but at this point I think Leyland is happy balancing their defense (both well above-average defensively) with the rest of the squad's offense. When you're averaging 6+ runs per game, even with these two in your lineup, and they're contributing defensively, it's not a panic situation.

That being said, I'd like to see some changes made. Thames at 1B has been only a mild success, and definitely not long-term.

Long term the 1B solution is going to be Pudge Rodriguez. He's not staying behind the plate forever, and he's still an offensive weapon. He's very capable at 1B, and he won't be holding down any prospects in the organization.

For this season though, platooning Thames and Casey there isn't hurting us.

Was Shelton that bad in 2005? :?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:41 am

dillpickle wrote:Yeah. Lets just try somebody else just for the purpose of trying someone else. Maybe Rob Deer or Dave Kingman are options as well. If you aren't upgrading, there is no point of changing.

Exactly, you try somebody else even if their chance of succeeding isn't that great if you have a guy struggling that badly in 1B. Angel Berroa was basically replaced for the sake of being replaced in KC.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dillpickle » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:05 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
dillpickle wrote:Yeah. Lets just try somebody else just for the purpose of trying someone else. Maybe Rob Deer or Dave Kingman are options as well. If you aren't upgrading, there is no point of changing.

Exactly, you try somebody else even if their chance of succeeding isn't that great if you have a guy struggling that badly in 1B. Angel Berroa was basically replaced for the sake of being replaced in KC.

Kansas City probably does a lot of things like this. How has that team done recently?

Don't get me wrong though. I would like an upgrade at 1B. It has to be an upgrade though. Short of that (an undeniable upgrade...i.e. Texiera) , there is no point in messing with the chemistry of a team that is by far the best offensive unit in MLB.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:26 am

dillpickle wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

Kansas City probably does a lot of things like this. How has that team done recently?

Don't get me wrong though. I would like an upgrade at 1B. It has to be an upgrade though. Short of that (an undeniable upgrade...i.e. Texiera) , there is no point in messing with the chemistry of a team that is by far the best offensive unit in MLB.

Shelton's OPS the last 2 years were over .800, plus his glove is at least adequate(maybe not as good as Casey, but the difference isn't that big), what makes you think it's not an upgrade?

Either way, I sort of agree with you that you shouldn't mess with the team chemistry, but as soon as that offense starts to struggle for an extended period, it will be time to bring Shelton up to hopefully light a fire.

And please don't take shots at the Royals, you think we aren't hurting enough? :~( I didn't overly made fun of the 03 Tigers....(well, except for Maroth, for some reason I like to laugh at him, but that's just me)
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dillpickle » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:02 am

Shelton's OPS the last 2 years were over .800, plus his glove is at least adequate(maybe not as good as Casey, but the difference isn't that big), what makes you think it's not an upgrade?

Either way, I sort of agree with you that you shouldn't mess with the team chemistry, but as soon as that offense starts to struggle for an extended period, it will be time to bring Shelton up to hopefully light a fire.

And please don't take shots at the Royals, you think we aren't hurting enough? :~( I didn't overly made fun of the 03 Tigers....(well, except for Maroth, for some reason I like to laugh at him, but that's just me)[/quote]

I share your humor with Maroth. The first thing the Tigers need to do is get him off the roster. Guys with 77 mph fastballs and a 76 mph changeup don't get me too excited. The only excitement they create is with the opposition's batters. My hope is that, with given the desperation for pitchers among most every major league team, that Maroth somehow manages to string together three good outings. Then maybe there will be some sucker franchise out there to take him off our hands via a trade.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tvv44 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:08 pm

MTUCache wrote:I'll admit that Casey needs to pick it up before he loses his job... big time. But Shelton is not a solution at 1B. In fact, with the exception of the first couple of weeks of last season, Shelton's career has been borderline awful.

It's no secret the Tiger's could use more production out of both CI spots (Casey and Inge), but at this point I think Leyland is happy balancing their defense (both well above-average defensively) with the rest of the squad's offense. When you're averaging 6+ runs per game, even with these two in your lineup, and they're contributing defensively, it's not a panic situation.

That being said, I'd like to see some changes made. Thames at 1B has been only a mild success, and definitely not long-term.

Long term the 1B solution is going to be Pudge Rodriguez. He's not staying behind the plate forever, and he's still an offensive weapon. He's very capable at 1B, and he won't be holding down any prospects in the organization.

For this season though, platooning Thames and Casey there isn't hurting us.

MTUCache is right on here ;D

First of all, Casey was aquired last year because he is a lifetime .300 hitter who makes CONSISTANT contact with the ball. That was something the Tigers were desperately looking for last season. They re-signed him this year mostly because of his level of play in the world series. He was about the only Tigers player who played very well. Not to mention he plays solid defense and hits .300. They have enough power in their lineup now where they can afford Casey at 1st.

Why would you want to bring in Shelton when they score 6 runs a night right now? Maybe when the rest of the team cools off, but now right now. :t

Long term solution at 1B was suppose to be Shelton. I'm not so sure that's in the cards anymore. Maybe Pudge, maybe Guillen, maybe someone new. Who knows right now.

The Tigers problem right now isn't Casey or Inge, it's the bullpen. Their horrible :o

Rodney gives up a run everytime he pitches. Grilli is one of the worst pitchers I've EVER seen. Jones is and always will be shaky at best. Zumuya's hurt. They need to get Rogers and or Robertson back to form so Durbin can go help out in the pen.
Owner of the Detroit Tigers in Strike Zone Dynasty
tvv44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dillpickle » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:38 pm

I think Casey is fine for this team. If overall team power was an issue, I’m sure I wouldn’t feel as comfortable with Casey at first as I am. After all, a typical first baseman should provide power. However, the rest of the team more then makes up for the power while Casey provides a solid contact hitter to move runners, if nothing else.

That said, I believe Guillen will move to first in a couple years. I think they drafted three SS in the top nine picks this year. I’m sure they are hoping one of them pan out.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers