Basis for DET Playing Sean Casey. Any Ideas? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Basis for DET Playing Sean Casey. Any Ideas?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Basis for DET Playing Sean Casey. Any Ideas?

Postby FalcoAtL » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:57 am

CrashOverrid3 wrote:Personally I think we should try and move (any combo of) Monroe, Casey, Thames, a pitcher Robertson, Maroth, Rogers, Miner or if we have to, throw in Shef for Carl Crawford. This could also give Shelton another shot at first base (he plays good D he just needs to see more Pro pitching), and if that does not work we could just target a 1b in the draft. Most of these guys have 1 year left on their contracts anyhow..

This not only gives us the hardcore speed we need, a left handed bat, and a young stud.

Man I would love to see this trade, but I doubt they will do it

Do you really think the Rays would deal their best player for garbage + Shef? NO!!

If they deal Crawford it would have to include a prospect near the calibur of Kazmir. I mean, if they demanded Kaz for Zambrano, how would they acquire Crawford for players with less potential?
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsaddict » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:11 am

FalcoAtL wrote:
CrashOverrid3 wrote:Personally I think we should try and move (any combo of) Monroe, Casey, Thames, a pitcher Robertson, Maroth, Rogers, Miner or if we have to, throw in Shef for Carl Crawford. This could also give Shelton another shot at first base (he plays good D he just needs to see more Pro pitching), and if that does not work we could just target a 1b in the draft. Most of these guys have 1 year left on their contracts anyhow..

This not only gives us the hardcore speed we need, a left handed bat, and a young stud.

Do you really think the Rays would deal their best player for garbage + Shef? NO!!

If they deal Crawford it would have to include a prospect near the calibur of Kazmir. I mean, if they demanded Kaz for Zambrano, how would they acquire Crawford for players with less potential?

Gotta love people on the Cafe with their fantasy-like trades in real life baseball. :b

Sorry, but it doesn't work like this in the majors. Maybe you can package Sheffield with Maroth and land Crawford in your 10 team head to head league, but in the majors, the TB GM would have to be on crack to do that trade. To trade a young stud in Crawford for an aging Sheff would be his ticket out of town essentially. As the poster above mentioned, the only way the Devil Rays deal Crawford is if they are getting top prospects. The best prospects, really. Crawford is one of the best trading chips out there right now, probably the hottest commodity on the market.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MTUCache » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:04 am

Sp_Da_Man wrote:It's too bad they can't get one of the OF's to play 1B (Monroe, Granderson, Thames) so they wouldn't have to shuffle all of them around.

Casey is one of the most overrated players out there.

Thames is playing 1B... just not everyday.

I don't think anyone really has him "highly" rated... he's an average player on a good team.

Would it be nice to have a power hitter over at first? Umm... yeah. But I don't see the Tigers giving up too much from their Major league club or from thier minor league system in order to put a star at 1B.

Honestly, the long-term scenario here is probably going to be either Guillen or Pudge. Guillen played 1B during the WBC last summer, doing a very good job defensively. Infante has always been one of Leyland's favorite players, and he'd love to get him in the everyday lineup. Likewise, as Pudge starts breaking down (knocking on wood, this guy is made of steel!), he'll also be looking to transition into a less stressful position. He's played a few games over there as well.

Believe me... 1B is not a problem for the Tigers. They've got tons of choices.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AbraCadaver » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:33 am

they should just bring back Cecil ;D
AbraCadaver
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fpower » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:08 pm

Casey is in a slump, but I think the answer is that his track record makes Leyland comfortable that he'll come out of it eventually. He won't put up lots of power numbers, but it's not unlikely that he'll eventually get his OBP back up there. He's also a left handed bat, which the Tigers are low on.

Thames is a decent player, but he's like Inge; powerful, but inconsistent. Normally Casey is the opposite, which is more useful given the other players in the Tigers' lineup. Casey's defense really is pretty good, too. He picks errant throws very well over there.
Fpower
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CrashOverrid3 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:00 pm

FalcoAtL wrote:

^

I know they would most likely have to add Andrew Miller or Maybin with some MLB talent, but I wouldn't say that they get garbage in return. Plus draft picks and all of the salaries will play a part etc. The fact is I doubt Crawford stays in Tampa and I am just trying to think of a way to get him :)

(Oh and Sportsaddict I don't play 10 team h2h and never will.. I play in a 20 team league with -12x12- with 24 player spots so please don't insult me)
*I created this sig
CrashOverrid3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:53 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:could be because he's a career .300 hitter, plays above average defense and they really had no one else in their system or on the FA market to replace him with

Shelton? :? How hard is it to remember him?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:58 pm

dillpickle wrote:What part of Shelton's 3 HR's (212 AB's) and .288 batting average for the Toledo Mud Hens really gets people excited for him to replace Casey? Sometimes I read this stuff and just shake my head and laugh.

What part of Sean Casey's .278/.333/.348 makes you think trying somebody else is a bad idea? If a good fielding shortstop hit the above line, you'd say he's quite an offensive blackhole but we'll take it for his defense. But at 1B? There's no excuse. Heck, after tonight, Casey's bat is almost = to Tony Pena Jr. Sadly.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dillpickle » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:05 am

Yeah. Lets just try somebody else just for the purpose of trying someone else. Maybe Rob Deer or Dave Kingman are options as well. If you aren't upgrading, there is no point of changing.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MTUCache » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:23 am

I'll admit that Casey needs to pick it up before he loses his job... big time. But Shelton is not a solution at 1B. In fact, with the exception of the first couple of weeks of last season, Shelton's career has been borderline awful.

It's no secret the Tiger's could use more production out of both CI spots (Casey and Inge), but at this point I think Leyland is happy balancing their defense (both well above-average defensively) with the rest of the squad's offense. When you're averaging 6+ runs per game, even with these two in your lineup, and they're contributing defensively, it's not a panic situation.

That being said, I'd like to see some changes made. Thames at 1B has been only a mild success, and definitely not long-term.

Long term the 1B solution is going to be Pudge Rodriguez. He's not staying behind the plate forever, and he's still an offensive weapon. He's very capable at 1B, and he won't be holding down any prospects in the organization.

For this season though, platooning Thames and Casey there isn't hurting us.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers