Rick Porcello - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Rick Porcello

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rick Porcello

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:04 am

It looks like DD has done it again. Our Tigs landed arguably the best young arm in the draft with the 27th overall pick. Clearly he fell due to signability concerns, but with DD having a very good working relationship with Boras (Pudge, Maggs, Guillen, and A. Miller off the top of my head - wasnt Maybin a Boras guy too?), there seems to be a real good chance of getting him to sign before August 15th.

Personally, I'm ecstatic. What a STEAL! Yeah it all comes down to money, but I really dont feel sorry for teams who have owners who wont open up their checkbooks for top talent. Illitch has shown over the last few drafts that he doesnt mind spending a bonus over the slot price if it means landing elite players, and Porcello is clearly in that elite catagory. From what I have read he was regarded as a top 5 talent in pretty much every ranking - and the top HS pitcher bar none. I have read that Boras is looking for at least a $5mil bonus, which I hope isnt true as it would rate at or near the top for highest bonuses paid in this format - but then again, pretty much every Boras client that raked in at least a $3mil bonus has proven his worth over the last decade. If he's worth it, pay him.

Can you guys imagine a 2009 rotation of Bonderman, Verlander, Miller, and Porcello? I know its a long way to go, and there are a ton of things that could go wrong, but if they all lived up to their hype we could be talking about one of the best rotations we have ever seen. :L
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rick Porcello

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:47 am

I just ran across this list:

Porcello - 18
Trahern - 21
Jurrjens - 21
Miller - 22
Zumaya - 22
De La Cruz - 23
Bonderman - 24
Verlander - 24
Vasquez - 25
Tata - 25
Sleeth - 25

Now that is some serious young firepower.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby slomo007 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:02 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Can you guys imagine a 2009 rotation of Bonderman, Verlander, Miller, and Porcello? I know its a long way to go, and there are a ton of things that could go wrong, but if they all lived up to their hype we could be talking about one of the best rotations we have ever seen. :L

That Zumaya kid in the bullpen is no slouch either. :-° :-°

Congrats to the Tigers for turning their team around so much...I'd be lying if I said I'm not rooting for them. Afterall, my teams suck and are not getting any better (Reds and Rangers).
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:31 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I just ran across this list:

Porcello - 18
Trahern - 21
Jurrjens - 21
Miller - 22
Zumaya - 22
De La Cruz - 23
Bonderman - 24
Verlander - 24
Vasquez - 25
Tata - 25
Sleeth - 25

Now that is some serious young firepower.

holy crap! I knew we were stockpiling arms, but you don't get a feel for how young they are until you list them. Thanks CBM. They should think about grooming a couple closers out of that bunch, in addidtion to Zumaya of course.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:45 am

Let's get this kid signed! :D
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Strained Oblique » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:45 am

I would cross Sleeth off that list though. He was our top pick a few years back, 2003 maybe, and has had all sorts of injury problems. He will have to break through next year or I see them moving him. Too bad because he had great stuff, but his delivery was violent!!
"All is fair in Love and Little League"

Strained Oblique
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Detroit Tigers