100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Anyone work in Finance?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Anyone work in Finance?

Postby JTWood » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:30 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
JTWood wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:The first couple of months were brutal, learning Oracle to handle GL, AP, and AR primarily, but have mastered it pretty much.

You're using Oracle for a startup? How big is the company?

I believe a month or two before I jumped on board, they started to implement Oracle back when I think there were about 20 employees. I think it's now 35-40 employees and we have a few offline consultants working for us working in Europe.

They decided to use Oracle for the sake of upping the valuation of the company as opposed to using Quickbooks.

Ah, that makes sense. They're planning on selling the company later, huh?

Little advice: I used to work under the VP that did our M&A at my last job. Become a stakeholder in your current company. If they sell, they are under no obligation to give you any of the proceeds.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone work in Finance?

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:31 pm

JTWood wrote:Ah, that makes sense. They're planning on selling the company later, huh?

Little advice: I used to work under the VP that did our M&A at my last job. Become a stakeholder in your current company. If they sell, they are under no obligation to give you any of the proceeds.

Yeah, I haven't heard of a viral video startup that ever made it into the black and so, the aim is to build as much perceived value to be acquired for a relatively good price by a big Internet player (i.e. Google, Yahoo, Microsoft) or a traditional media giant (i.e. NBC, Fox, Comcast, Verizon).

When I was promoted, I had my shares doubled, but because Revver has gone through rough times since the big re-org shakeup last December, it seems that if we are purchased, it'll go for relatively cheap, but enough for the investors to break even. I'm afraid there's not much to be had for everyone else after that, no matter how many shares owned.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk