What's better to have solid Hitters or Pitchers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

What's better to have solid Hitters or Pitchers?

Re: What's better to have solid Hitters or Pitchers?

Postby THE TERMINATOR » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:58 am

There is no question that it has to be Hitting. Most leagues are standard 5x5 Head to Head and with hitting if you make sure to get the best Hitting team in your league. It is a pritty sure thing that you can win every stat almost every week other then maybe stolen bases.

But on the other end. You can try to put together the best pitching staff that any fantasy league has ever seen. But if you hog closers there is no sure thing that you will win saves and having a great pitching staff don't stop 1 single pitcher having a bad outing and giving up 6 runs and you end up losing ERA and WHIP that week becouse of it. Belive me ERA and WHIP is more offen desided by luck and wise choses of who to start or bench then it desided by who has the better pitching staff.
THE TERMINATOR
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nene » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:27 pm

Needless to say, I think you have to strike a balance. I know I have, and it's been pretty successful for me the years I have played fantasy baseball *last year was an exception.
[b]Founder of the Hilarious Homers League[/b]
Nene Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby MaudDib » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:03 pm

Just like almost everyone else has said hitters are more reliable and I will always spend an early pick on a hitter. But when you get into a draft you have to take what comes at you and be ready to take the best player available. This is where creating some sort of cheat sheet comes in. The worst thing you can do is go into a draft and have your mind set one what you are going to do. Really the only time I prefer hitters over SP is in a dynasty or keeper league because hitters are much more consistent.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:20 am

MaudDib wrote:Just like almost everyone else has said hitters are more reliable and I will always spend an early pick on a hitter. But when you get into a draft you have to take what comes at you and be ready to take the best player available. This is where creating some sort of cheat sheet comes in. The worst thing you can do is go into a draft and have your mind set one what you are going to do. Really the only time I prefer hitters over SP is in a dynasty or keeper league because hitters are much more consistent.

I'm having a weird draft right now in the Cafeholics Mock. I'm drafting in the 12th slot out of 12 and several times just haven't liked the value of the hitters available. So far I've taken the following:
1.12 Johan Santana (SP-Min)
2.01 Jake Peavy (SP-SD)
3.12 Derek Jeter (SS-NYY)
4.01 Bobby Abreu (OF-NYY)
5.12 Chris Young (SP-SD)
6.01 J.J. Putz (RP-Sea)

I'm going to have to take chances on a lot of hitters with upside, maximize some categories, etc, but had I not done this I'd have Vlad over Peavy right now (you could certainly make an argument for that move), and someone like Dan Uggla or Jason Bay over Chris Young or Putz. With pitching being pretty top-heavy this year and the third tier of SP's being less than exciting either due to age (both too old and too young) or mediocrity I don't mind taking a shot like this in a single-season league this year. The key is exactly what MaudDib said - you have to take value when it's there.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby RyeWhiskey » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:53 pm

Firstly, as has been mentioned before, strategy depends completely upon the settings of the league. But, with this in mind, there are a few rules of thumb.
1. In the early rounds of the draft, your pick ought to be dependent solely upon value, not necessarily position. Granted that position scarcity factors into value, this is to say that drafting Utley over Holliday isn't advised even though 2B is shallower than OF.
2. As previously mentioned, hitters are less injury-prone than pitchers. Hence drafting hitters earlier is a safer strategy.
3. Standard leagues generally favor hitting slightly more than pitching, so keep that in mind.

BUT, with all that said, I still like heavy SPs. Here's why:
1. Having killer SPs will win you 4 pitching categories (SVs aside). Wins, Strikeouts, ERA, and WHIP are all primarily dictated by SPs. Granted that having great RPs and maybe even some mid-relief pitchers will help you in ERA and WHIP, your starters go for 6-7 innings each start and will therefore have a greater effect on ERA and WHIP (while relievers generally pitch one inning). Wins and Strikeouts are obviously geared towards SPs.
2. Given the enormous bunch of mediocre SPs, having the better/best ones will give you a greater comparative advantage.

So if you can lock down some solid hitters (not necessarily the best of the best, but solid) you can compete in the hitting cats each week. And if you then lock down the best starters, you know you'll have the advantage in pitching every week, thereby giving you a comparative advantage over your opponents.

This is only how I tend to view fantasy baseball draft strategies, it's not for everyone, but I like it.

- Monkey
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Chicago 2 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:43 pm

In my opinion it is definitely better to have solid hitters over pitchers.

Everyone is going to generally take hitters in the first three rounds because of how many good hitters are available at the time but for the most part every year it is easy to find a consistent pitcher in the later rounds or that draft day sleeper at the pitcher position that your targeting.

For example take last year, In the majority of my leagues I didnt draft pitching until rd 8 when I finally started taking pitchers and nabbed John Smoltz, rd 9 Justin Verlander, rd 10 Felix Hernandez, then a string of closers and still had the time to get Chris Young of the Padres in rd 14-15 in most leagues. Not a bad haul if you asked me. Even if you completely ignored pitchers like the minority of people great pitchers like Ian Snell, James Shields, Joe Blanton and Fausto Carmona could still be had in FA.

Last year it just seemed there was a lot more good available pitchers in the later rounds that it was worth passing up the likes of Johan, Peavy and Beckett.

Its just generally easier I think to come by better pitchers later in the draft than hitters.

The only reason I might take someone like Peavy or Santana early is because in the playoffs if two teams tie 5-5 in a matchup, the better seeded team doesn't win the matchup but the team with the better season era, at least these are the rules for Yahoo. So in the long run having a better hitting core could hurt you but Ill take the risk if someone like Smoltz and Chris Young can be had towards the end of the draft.

One good strategy is to run two mocks taking pitching early with one team and hitting early with another and whichever team you feel is better thats the direction you could draft your team.
Chicago 2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby horatio » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:19 pm

I'm with the angry monkey on this one.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:08 pm

Take the best value available. Now, look through this thread. The common theme is that people want hitting. Well, I've got news for you. Pitching is just as much a part of the scoring as hitting (at least in most leagues). With all these people taking hitters first, go ahead and grab pitchers. If you can win most pitching catagories and come in the middle in most hitting catagories, you'll have a decent shot at winning every year.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:27 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Take the best value available. Now, look through this thread. The common theme is that people want hitting. Well, I've got news for you. Pitching is just as much a part of the scoring as hitting (at least in most leagues). With all these people taking hitters first, go ahead and grab pitchers. If you can win most pitching catagories and come in the middle in most hitting catagories, you'll have a decent shot at winning every year.

We're running the Cafeholics Mock right now. These are some VERY good people drafting here. I've taken this tack and after 10 rounds my pitching staff is Santana, Peavy, and Chris Young as starters with J.J. Putz, Matt Capps, and Chad Cordero as closers. Obviously my hitting has suffered so far (Jeter, Abreu, Posada, and Francoeur) but as A Fleshner Fantasy mentioned with the pitching staff I've drafted I need to have an average to below average set of hitters. I'm competing to get 30+ points in hitting to win the league - not a great set of hitters.

Now value is in the eye of the beholder. I think I got great value with the spots I took my pitchers. That said, I'm probably going to take the results of the mock and knock down my valuation of pitchers. Just because they have good value doesn't mean you shouldn't wait on them another round when their value would be even greater.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby MaudDib » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:16 pm

Like I said before I would go with hitters not because you are out smarting the other managers or going against the curve but because pitchers are so inconsistent. I started with a league aabout 6-7 years ago with 5 keepers and at the time I figured that it would be better to keep 3-4 pitchers and go in to the draft with one of the better rotations. And every year after the draft I would look at my team and think of how good my pitching staff would look like. Then come around all-star break I would notice that 1-2 of those 3-4 SP's I kept would either be on the DL or just not putting up the numbers I thought they should. Now I pretty much keep hitters and I haven't finished below 3rd and I won the league twice. So you can draft pitchers and have one of the best pitching staffs on paper but come all-star break you better hope those guys are still there.

One last thing to think about. If a SP gets hurt and goes on the DL for 6-8 weeks you are likely to lose about 8-10 starts for that pitcher which only gives you about 20 starts. A hitter might go on the DL for 6-8 weeks which is about 150 at bats could leave you with about 400 at bats left. I don't know if this helps much but I would rather have the 400 at bats than the 20 starts.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner's Forum