What's better to have solid Hitters or Pitchers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

What's better to have solid Hitters or Pitchers?

Re: What's better to have solid Hitters or Pitchers?

Postby RotoFan07 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:20 pm

Hitting, Hitting, Hitting.

Just like in real baseball, you never trade good hitting for pitching. Pitching is too unreliable.
RotoFan07
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sgnilloccaz » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:44 pm

Im sure ill be repeating someone who posted previously, but if its a head-to-head league build you team around hitting because other league members won't focus on hitting as much and you could potentially dominate them week in and week out. I mean it helped me win the 2007 Dirts Fantasy Baseball League. :-)
sgnilloccaz
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:12 pm

I think you have to take value wherever you can get it. Given two equally valuable players I'd almost always go with the hitter but the problem is that people know this now. You're going to find yourself in leagues where some really good sp's fall in the draft and being willing to break out of a 'I'm only taking pitchers after round x' mode can get you some real value in the draft. Also, while pitchers are riskier you need to take risks to win more competitive leagues...taking a pitcher when the value is right can be a very good calculated risk in a challenging league.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby J35J » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:40 pm

RotoFan07 wrote:Hitting, Hitting, Hitting.

Just like in real baseball, you never trade good hitting for pitching. Pitching is too unreliable.

I'll disagree with the "real baseball" comment. I'll take the Johans and the Peavy's of the world over any hitter if i was buidling a "real baseball team". Thats for a different thread though.....for this thread...what Amazinz said works great! ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby horatio » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:38 pm

My thought is that you can potentially dominate 4 of 5 pitching categories with 4 top quality SP's, so grab 5 and if there's an injury (or just a bust) with one of them you're still solid, I don't believe you need top tier closers because even middle of the pack closers will usually give you a better ERA and WHIP than a lot of starters. Also good pitchers tend to slump a lot less frequently than good hitters do.

Give me a starting lineup of (1)Peavy and/or Santana, (2) Webb/Beckett/or CC Sabathia, (3) Lackey/Bedard/or Hamels, and (4) Verlander/Harang/Haren/Smoltz, and (5) Oswalt/Halladay/Zambrano/Young/Vasquez, and I'll like my chances no matter what your hitting looks like.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby pjalst » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:07 am

Draft Hitting first, then get decent Pitchers in the middle rounds. At the end of the draft fill your bench with Pitchers that have upside. As the season goes on you can drop the non-productive pitchers to fill in for DL'd players and so on.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 65)

Postby greenbaydude1232 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:11 pm

Hitters first. Drafting a pitcher before the 3rd round in most leagues can be deadly. This is reflected by most top 50 boards which usually have only around 5 pitchers in the top 50. A great example of this is here.. Because pitchers only go once every 5 days, the depth of your pitching staff is important. Especially in daily roster changes leagues. Also, because every team has 5 starting pitchers, there is much more depth at the position than any offensive positions.
greenbaydude1232
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pjalst » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:32 pm

greenbaydude1232 wrote:...Especially in daily roster changes leagues. Also, because every team has 5 starting pitchers, there is much more depth at the position than any offensive positions...

I'm leagues with daily roster changes you can pick and choose your matchups. Even an average SP can look like an Ace against a team that's not scoring runs.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 65)

Postby thedude » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:06 am

hitters become even more important if you are playing in a keeper or dynasty league. Even though you can make reasonable predictions about how a guy will preform in a given year during spring training, you are really taking a shot in the dark about how he is going to preform several years down the line. pitchers can fall off the face of the planet rapidly.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby converge241 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:28 pm

Hitting to infinity

every league I have ever been in I can find pitching on the wire (except for one league that has no add/drops in which case I will spend a LITTLE more for pitching but good pitching can still be found late)

Pitching is in such surplus and can also be so volatile..do you want Johan and Jake Peavy the years they both get Tommy John for example

Most leagues will be nature require you to fill more hitting spots as well (sometimes by a large margin hitting slots over pitching slots) so I believe it's always better to invest more in the hitting and then get your learn on regarding every pitcher you can so when its time to make a speculative pitcher addition you are well informed and "information is the most valuable commodity I know of"

Some people do think the opposite that because pitching is so hectic and you field less of it then it makes more sense toinvest heavy in solid pitching. I wouldnt go to war with these people over it and if they convince you that is the way: more power to them.

As an experiment in one free league I took Pujols @ 1 then took 13 pitchers in a row. I won the league but I lucked into a lot of other batters clicking for me in a planets allign type of way. I wouldnt try it again in a serious/pay league
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner's Forum