Dye for Duckworth and Williams, should I object? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dye for Duckworth and Williams, should I object?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dye for Duckworth and Williams, should I object?

Postby timkell » Sat May 11, 2002 8:45 pm

Hope someone is out there. I'm in a ten team mlb cbs sportsline league, and two teams just ok'd a trade that's up for league approval.

One team is trading Jermaine Dye for Brandon Duckworth and Woddy Williams.

I could show you rosters and everything, but it's probably not worth it. To me, the trade is pretty one sided with the team giving up dye getting far too little in return. Here's the pitchers on the team giving up Dye:
Mark Mulder
Matt Clement
Kevin Appier
Cory Lidle
Derek Lowe
Jamie Moyer
Hideo Nomo
John Smoltz
Ugueth Urbina

A clear cut veteran outfield star, who's only getting better in his recovery from injury, for a rookie who's inconsistent with granted major upside potential, and a mid level starter (who's been hyped due to a great second half last year, but look at the career stats) who's been injured the whole season and won't return until the end of the month? Williams should really be on our waiver wire right now, who knows how he'll be when he returns.

I think I should object to the trade and get this thing quashed. I don't want to be a jerk, though, so what do you think?

Thanks!

Tim
timkell

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Sat May 11, 2002 9:40 pm

I agree with you that the side receiving Dye comes out ahead here (given the other owner's rotation, at least), but I don't think it's bad enough to warrant a veto. In general, I like Duckworth and could understand someone being nervous about Dye's health. There are enough question marks regarding those two players that opinions on which is better can legitimately vary.

Why anybody would feel the need to add those two pitchers to this rotation, however, escapes me, unless he's planning another trade right away, has a stacked of, or similar reasons.

Not sure if this helps. On the whole I don't like to veto deals unless there is obvious collusion or other cheating involved. If it's a matter of (mis)judgment, I'll let it pass or ask the team in question about their motivation. I can understand your reaction, but it's often better to let a trade you disagree with pass than risk having the entire league devolve into bickering, with future trades of your own vetoed solely to get even.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mktgteach » Sat May 11, 2002 9:49 pm

Ugh, that is tough. It is always tough to be the one who squashes a trade.

:-o

Trades are all about filling needs. Based on the pitchers that you listed, the guy doesn't have a true #1 starter. He has some good pitchers, but no Maddux, Mussina, Clemens, Pedro, etc. Lowe is his best pitcher so far, but he is still only one month into his first year as a starter since he entered the pros with the Mariners.

Had the outfielder been someone who doesn't have a great injury risk, then I might tell you to worry. However, I see this trade as both teams taking a risk. Dye has only been back for a short period of time with only 1 HR thus far. Duckworth, in my opinion, is a pitcher that will reach Kerry Wood status. Great stuff, strikes out a ton when he is on, but has control problems from time to time.

As for Williams, he did win 15 games last year and he plays for a proven team that, when healthy, will win games.

So after all of that, I wouldn't be concerned about this trade. Both owners are taking a risk with this one. Actually, if Duckworth works out his control problems and Williams comes back healthy to finish the year, the team getting those two might have a slight advantage over the team getting Dye.
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby mktgteach » Sat May 11, 2002 9:54 pm

One last thing, Arlo said it best in his last paragraph. We all play fantasy baseball b/c we love the feeling of managing our team. Nothing will make your league turn into the "no fun league" faster than trades being vetoed.
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby timkell » Sat May 11, 2002 10:34 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys. After thinking about it, I didn't object, but I did state my opinion in the discussion group. Not complaining, but just stating that I think Dye is worth more than a high potential, inconsistent rookie and an injured pitcher with one good year in his career (even though that good year was last year.)

I agree we need to let managers take risks and make mistakes. So, I'll let it fly. I still think it's an awful deal for Dye, but that's my opinion.

Thanks again!
timkell

Postby Arlo » Sun May 12, 2002 7:19 am

Congratulations. I think you made a good call in a tough situation. Posting on the discussion board was a good idea. By doing this but not formally protesting the trade, I think you've improved the quality of your league and should earn the respect of its members.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Now I'm pissed!

Postby timkell » Sun May 12, 2002 12:58 pm

Someone else looked into the trade and noticed that Woody Williams was pulled off the waiver wire yesterday, then offered in this trade. So that means the trade boils down to Duckworth for Dye.

This sort of changes things. The guy who has Duckworth and Williams clearly knows he's screwing the guy with Dye.

Well, I hope he'll learn his lesson.
timkell

Postby nkeitt » Sun May 12, 2002 7:17 pm

One good thing has definitely come from this, you know to do some double checking if ever this guy offers you a trade in the future (especially if it looks even or weighted to benefit you).
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers