prior... a lock for a first rounder? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

prior... a lock for a first rounder?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby gypsyspot » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:37 am

I'd go 1. Arod, 2. Pujols, 3. Beltran, 4. Prior, 5. Soriano, 6. Vlad
Beltran could easily swipe 45+ where vlad's steals are a huge question.
I know the future!!!!!!!
gypsyspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:55 am

Prior should be the top SP picked, probably in the top 10 picks, but probably not in the first 6-7 picks.

I can't beilieve all the Beltran hype after last year.

Oh well, bodes well for me in my drafts. I will gladly pass on Beltran that early, and I said last year he was overvalued at pick 20.

I'm not sure why people are high on steals. I routinely ignore the category in favor of guys that hit .300+ with 30+ HR's. I don't 'tank' the steals cat, but I'm not all over the Ichiro's and Beltran's like some.

Beltran has a little power, but a top 5 pick? come on! when has the guy EVER proved he is worthy of that pick?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby stevelabny » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:52 am

Prior is definately a 1st round pick

But if you took him in the third round last year, you DID take him too early. No matter what his stats said.
You could definately have gotten him in the fourth or fifth round, and maybe even in the 6th or beyond.
"Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." -- Leo Durocher
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tool069c » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:59 am

Anonymous wrote:Prior should be the top SP picked, probably in the top 10 picks, but probably not in the first 6-7 picks.

I can't beilieve all the Beltran hype after last year.

Oh well, bodes well for me in my drafts. I will gladly pass on Beltran that early, and I said last year he was overvalued at pick 20.

I'm not sure why people are high on steals. I routinely ignore the category in favor of guys that hit .300+ with 30+ HR's. I don't 'tank' the steals cat, but I'm not all over the Ichiro's and Beltran's like some.

Beltran has a little power, but a top 5 pick? come on! when has the guy EVER proved he is worthy of that pick?

Beltran does have 30+ hr power, can bat over .300 and steal 40+ easily...go along with 100+ in rbi and runs every year, how is he not around a #5 pick?
tool069c
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:49 am

I'd take Vlad over Prior, but Prior is definitely a first round pick. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:53 am

stevelabny wrote:Prior is definately a 1st round pick

But if you took him in the third round last year, you DID take him too early. No matter what his stats said.
You could definately have gotten him in the fourth or fifth round, and maybe even in the 6th or beyond.

Look at me. Agreeing with Steve.

Sure, Prior put up great numbers. But I got those numbers out of the 8th round. In the 3rd I got Gagne.

But to me, he's around pick 7 or so. Below Beltran/Helton but above Mags
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby -Slap- » Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:26 am

Picking Prior in the third round was sound advice for anybody who wanted him in my leagues last year because I took him in the fourth round four times and missed him by one round once. I would say that any league where Prior lasted until round eight was not a very competitive one.
-Slap-
College Coach
College Coach

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:15 am

Anonymous wrote:I can't beilieve all the Beltran hype after last year.

Well, let's see, how about $38 earnings in a 5X5 last year. Overvalued at pick 20? Not hardly. You won't find 10 guys who earned $38 last year. He was $33 and $34 the 2 years before that. A consistent low $30 to high $30's guy. ;-D
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Re: prior... a lock for a first rounder?

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:19 am

Erboes wrote:I wouldn't fault anyone for taking him as high as second. Only Johnson is capable of pitching better than him now if Prior continues at this level.

Don't discount Pedro. Pedro had the better era and whip.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Erboes » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:15 am

Some points here:

Pedro no longer has the K's and the win totals that he used to. He may get more wins from time to time, but the days of high K totals I believe are over. With his sterling ERA and WHIP last season, he was still only worth $30.

Steals aren't undervalued. I mentioned this very thing on, Ahem, Rotoguys.com. In an average league a SB is worth 2 HR's or 8 RBI's. For example, Crawford's 55 SB's would have equated to 60 HR's and 200 RBI's, so it's like he hit 65 HR's and knocked in 254 RBI's. Is there one player who can get you close to half of the HR's or RBI's that you'll need to win those cats? No, but there are a few who can in steals.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers