prior... a lock for a first rounder? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

prior... a lock for a first rounder?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

prior... a lock for a first rounder?

Postby sinicalypse » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:12 pm

i remember my drafts lsat year where i took prior in the third round of all three of my drafts. the little chatrooms were filled with people who ridiculed me "too early" "hahhaha overpaid" "sini ur a MORON"

and yet, 18-6 2.43 era at age 22? jesus H christ that was brilliant.

so my question to you sages this year, is, will prior be a for-sure 1st rounder? i mean, overall, who's a better pitcher than him? pedro? unit? really i think prior's the #1 overall pitcher in fantasy this year and he's going to be a unilateral top 5 pick.

what do you guys think?

oh and if i can take vlad or prior with my 1st round pick, who do i take?
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:13 pm

i'd take and keep Prior.

Vlad or Prior?

oh man...

that's a good question...
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby kentx12 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:13 pm

In most of the mocks I have seen or been a part of this year he has gone from pick 7 to 12.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Dude86 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:13 pm

Prior should be a first round lock in any league. And I would take Prior over Vlad because I'm still not convinced that Vlad's back is completely healthy.
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: prior... a lock for a first rounder?

Postby Erboes » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:15 pm

sinicalypse wrote:i remember my drafts lsat year where i took prior in the third round of all three of my drafts. the little chatrooms were filled with people who ridiculed me "too early" "hahhaha overpaid" "sini ur a MORON"

and yet, 18-6 2.43 era at age 22? jesus H christ that was brilliant.

so my question to you sages this year, is, will prior be a for-sure 1st rounder? i mean, overall, who's a better pitcher than him? pedro? unit? really i think prior's the #1 overall pitcher in fantasy this year and he's going to be a unilateral top 5 pick.

what do you guys think?

oh and if i can take vlad or prior with my 1st round pick, who do i take?

I wouldn't fault anyone for taking him as high as second. Only Johnson is capable of pitching better than him now if Prior continues at this level.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sinicalypse » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:15 pm

vlad had some monumental 500 foot homeruns last seasonw hen he returned, i remember one off of randy johnson. damn i wish i would have taped baseball tonight for those.

i dont think his back is going to be an issue. he was tearing it up vladstyle when he got back, and i dont think the back is going to be an issue at all.

tho i hope everyone thinks it is, because i will gladly roll the dice and play balls out with vlad if i can land him in late round 1 or round 2.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby james2266 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:18 pm

I'm with you there. Prior is top five in my books. Now Vlad vs. Prior for 1st overall? or are you asking just in the 1st round? I wouldn't take either 1st overall. that would be Pujols or more likely A-Rod. I would not let Prior out of the top 5 though. I might even take him #3 overall. I like Vlad but that bad back scares me a little still and he wasn't running when he came back either which makes him alot less valueable in my books. So my top 5... 1. A-Rod 2. Pujols, 3. Prior, 4. Soriano, 5. Vlad or maybe even Beltran. I'm assuming this is a 5X5 league or standard H2H as well.
james2266
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:45 pm

the only way a pitcher makes my top 5 overall is when he is striking out 300+ guys a year like the unit is "was" capable of doing. Prior is going to put up some real nice numbers but he isn't going to strike out 300 batters. I bet its more like 270, which is nice don't get me wrong but not top 5 overall. I mean he could get screwed on run support like Pedro the last couple of years and only come away with 15 wins. He's a first round pick but not a top 5 overall pick!

Jason

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jonnyblack » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:40 am

james2266 wrote:.. 1. A-Rod 2. Pujols, 3. Prior, 4. Soriano, 5. Vlad or maybe even Beltran.

This is close to what I have been thinking in the last week or so. With Soriano's possible line-up issues, and Vlads back, and perceived steal decrease.

In No particular order, I'll have Helton in there A-Rod, Pujols, and with Prior in the top five. That leaves on space (in the top five) for guys like Vlad, Soriano, Beltran, etc. I just can't decide whether to put prior BEFORE these guys, after them, or in-between them.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby Pedantic » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:48 am

I wouldn't take Prior before A-Rod, Pujols, Soriano, or Vlad. Maybe not even Beltran.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers