Isn't this about the time when .. .. (Political) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Isn't this about the time when .. .. (Political)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:36 pm

Okay. Mookie, you make some good points. I do understand that cocaine is harmful, though not as bad as many would have you believe. I do believe that most of the harm comes from overuse, which comes from addiction. I am not arguing that cocaine is only dangerous because it is illegal. What I am arguing is that cocaine is made much more dangerous because it is illegal. I do think that education is the answer, not incarceration. Furthermore, I believe that people would be more likely to seek treatment if it were legal. I realize that there would be some bad side effects, but I think that the benefits would outweigh the bad effects.

To sum up - I believe that people are smart. And I believe that people are responsible. And I believe that if given the information, as with tobacco, drug use would fall. But in the end, I do think that people should be allowed to make those decisions for themselves. I know that I don't need a nanny to tell me not to take drugs and that you do too. I believe that everyone else is responsible enough to handle their own lives as well.

On a side note: I think that the disparities between crack and cocaine sentences is ridiculous. It's the same drug.

Hootie - 80 years ago, a man's chest was considered a sex organ. Look at something like Marlon Brando in "A Streetcar Named Desire." People were scandalized and all he got down to was an A-Shirt. I'm not advocating nudity by any means, but it does seems silly all the fuss over Janet Jackson's breast. It goes against man's eternal search for aesthetic sensability that Janet Jackson cannot go topless but Jerry Falwell can. That's all I'm saying.

My final statement on the matter: It seems to me that in the best sense laws should be agreements between neighbors. I'll agree not to rob your house if you agree not to rob mine. We get police to monitor, but that's it. It doesn't bother me if you decide to put nails through your foot. I don't care. I may think you're an idiot, but I'm not going to call the police because it doesn't affect me. To me, drugs are the same way. If you want to sit in your house and get high, I couldn't care less. If you decide to go driving while you're high, we've got a problem. If the drugs cost so much that you can't afford your habit on a McDonalds salary and you end up robbing my house, again: we've got a problem. Keep it to yourself and we're fine.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk