OPS - What's good and what's bad? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

OPS - What's good and what's bad?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: OPS - What's good and what's bad?

Postby Laean » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:08 pm

tecmobowl12 wrote:Ok you're right .870 is high, in my 10 team league the leader has an .882 (mine is .798 which is 4th worst, not 2nd as I earlier wrote). Fantasy-wise. Basically I'm trying to find, in general:

Excellent OPS is ___
Good is ___
Average is ___
Bad is ___
Drop this player immediately is ___

i play in an ops league every year. generally, try to avoid speedsters with no power like pierre, podsednik, figgins, etc. try to get speedsters with some power instead for speed. guys like sizemore, crawford, rollins, jeter, beltran, etc are more valuable in ops leagues. even guys like furcal and ichiro are ok.

second, keeping the first rule in mind, when faced with two hitters with equal pop/avg etc, try to get guys who walk more. francouer's value plummets in an ops league because he doesn't walk at all. it's the same with cano, tejada (though he's still alright), etc.

as for what you wanted, it's not as simple as ".900 is good, .800 is bad" because it depends on the position, and what else they contribute to your team (hr+sb output mostly).

excellent ops is .900+. for 2b and ss, i'd say around .850 is excellent. catchers too.
good ops is .850+. for 2b, ss, c i'd say anything .800+ is good.
average ops for of, 3b, 1b = around .850. for 2b, ss, c around .750.
bad ops for of, 3b, 1b = anything below .800. for 2b, ss. c anything below .700.
drop immediately (well, i wouldn't say drop since these guys can single handedly get you 45+ Sbs, but i'd try to have only one of these players on my team max) = pierre, podsednik, etc.
drop immediately (the 30 sbs from these guys are not worth it) = taveras, freel, dave roberts, etc.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers