Biggest surprises, favorite fantasy players of 2007. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Biggest surprises, favorite fantasy players of 2007.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Biggest surprises, favorite fantasy players of 2007.

Postby bananaphone » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:29 pm

I figured it would be interesting to see who your favorite players on your team are this year. Who are your biggest surprises, and biggest let downs?

Favorite Soggy Bottom Boys, and biggest surprises (in descending order):
Gary Matthews Jr., Picked him up for cheap in the offseason through trades, and he's been nothing short of quality since.
Dan Uggla, He's giving Utley a run for his money as a 7th round draft pick this year.
Russell Martin, I figured he would be good, but not this good. I especially love the SBs.
Tom Gorzelanny, Quality pitcher, got him in the last round :).

Biggest letdowns:
Lance Berkman, Has not been my big 2nd round bat that I need him to be, luckily I got some help from the previous list.
Andruw Jones, I wasn't a big fan before, but I got him for the dingers. He's hit a few, but the .220 batting average is terrible.
Pat Burrell, I expected some early production out of him, but got absolutely nothing.
bananaphone
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Biggest surprises, favorite fantasy players of 2007.

Postby scotty_pod » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:04 pm

I grabbed BJ Upton and Hunter Pence figuring I'd give them a shot. Upton I ended up moving for Jason Bay and Pence continues to carry my offense some days. Oliver Perez and James Shields were the bum pitchers I took after the draft so I could drop Gomes and Cantu.

on the flip side....I'm sorry but I just can't feel bad for anyone who drafts A Jones or Berkman. Berkman's never put up two solid seasons in a row...and "trolls" like me can only point that out so often in offseason discussions before becoming marked men....haha.

Jones is always streaky. He won't hit .220 all year, but the fact that he does it for months at a time is the reason I won't draft him.

My own goats have been Zambrano who was a keeper as for one year I decided to start out with a good pitcher, which I will probably now never do again. Rich Harden, Rocco Baldelli, and Octavio Dotel have also made my life miserable!!
scotty_pod
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mac-unit » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:20 pm

favorite player for me has been upton. i got him in the 18th round and i recently traded him away in a package for reyes and martin.

biggest fantasy surprise so far was james sheilds.

biggest letdown. i would say andruw jones but the bad avg. is something you take with the 30 HR and 90+ RBI and runs. so ill say the biggest letdown so far has been vernon wells, but i do think he will turn it around and have a decent year.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 25)

Postby Dislexic Irishman » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:58 am

Not exactly surprises, but I guess my favorite fantasy players would have to be Rich Hill, Danny Haren, and BJ Upton. All of whom I got pretty cheap in at least 3 out of my 4 leagues.

Letdowns are LaRoche, who I expected a big year from and C Zambrano
Dislexic Irishman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bananaphone » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:06 am

scotty_pod wrote:I grabbed BJ Upton and Hunter Pence figuring I'd give them a shot. Upton I ended up moving for Jason Bay and Pence continues to carry my offense some days. Oliver Perez and James Shields were the bum pitchers I took after the draft so I could drop Gomes and Cantu.

on the flip side....I'm sorry but I just can't feel bad for anyone who drafts A Jones or Berkman. Berkman's never put up two solid seasons in a row...and "trolls" like me can only point that out so often in offseason discussions before becoming marked men....haha.

Jones is always streaky. He won't hit .220 all year, but the fact that he does it for months at a time is the reason I won't draft him.

My own goats have been Zambrano who was a keeper as for one year I decided to start out with a good pitcher, which I will probably now never do again. Rich Harden, Rocco Baldelli, and Octavio Dotel have also made my life miserable!!

I didn't expect Berkman to hit another 45, maybe more like 35, but I expected him to carry a better average, and benefit from actually having some protection. I don't like drafting Jones either, but he was the best option at the time, and I really wanted to pick up one more homer power bat.

As for your goat Zambrano, I think he's still money. I don't like his style because he walks way too many, but he gives you good numbers. It's just a bad start for him.
bananaphone
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Return to Commissioner's Corner