Alex Gordon.......Joey Gathright called up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alex Gordon.......Joey Gathright called up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Alex Gordon.......Joey Gathright

Postby AmericanShipbuilding » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:08 pm

Yoda wrote:PECOTA is not always the best way to measure prospects because they are based on historical performances and when dealing with minor leaguers with limited track record, projections can get skewed.

I still love AG in a heterosexual way. I just thought he was overrated coming into this season.


Totally agree. I was only saying that those numbers weren't just coming from overzealous Cafe denizens making wild guesses at what Gordon might achieve; they were coming from one of the most respected and accurate prediction models available to the public. He was overrated, sure, but he was overrated by (almost) everyone.
Image
AmericanShipbuilding
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 239
Joined: 21 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Alex Gordon.......Joey Gathright

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:16 pm

AmericanShipbuilding wrote:
Yoda wrote:PECOTA is not always the best way to measure prospects because they are based on historical performances and when dealing with minor leaguers with limited track record, projections can get skewed.

I still love AG in a heterosexual way. I just thought he was overrated coming into this season.


Totally agree. I was only saying that those numbers weren't just coming from overzealous Cafe denizens making wild guesses at what Gordon might achieve; they were coming from one of the most respected and accurate prediction models available to the public. He was overrated, sure, but he was overrated by (almost) everyone.


I can agree with that. I overrated him apparently as well. His season so far is worse than Blalock's rookie season (veterans know what that was like). That's how bad he has been and they haven't sent him down yet.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Alex Gordon.......Joey Gathright

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:27 am

gathright has ALWAYS intrigued me simply because hes the fastest guy playing baseball. ill definitely be keeping my eye on him, but hes let me down time and time again.
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: Alex Gordon.......Joey Gathright

Postby DVauthrin » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:29 am

Snakes Gould wrote:gathright has ALWAYS intrigued me simply because hes the fastest guy playing baseball. ill definitely be keeping my eye on him, but hes let me down time and time again.


doesn't matter how fast you are if you are mediocre defensively, have no power and can't steal 1b.
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7316
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: katy, texas

Re: Alex Gordon.......Joey Gathright

Postby Prooks25 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:44 am

When will Butler get another chance?
Image
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1949
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 22 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Alex Gordon.......Joey Gathright

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:53 am

DVauthrin wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:gathright has ALWAYS intrigued me simply because hes the fastest guy playing baseball. ill definitely be keeping my eye on him, but hes let me down time and time again.


doesn't matter how fast you are if you are mediocre defensively, have no power and can't steal 1b.


:? i never said he could do those things. thats why hes just "intriguing" and not owned in any leagues at this point.

but, everything you said about him really doesnt matter. look at juan pierre. he has NO arm, NO power, and has a pretty mediocre OBP as well. gathright could easily be pierre down the line. hes shown before that he can have a high avg, albeit with a low OBP. i dont see why he cant be a pierre/taveras/duffy type of player.
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: Alex Gordon.......Joey Gathright

Postby DVauthrin » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:09 am

pierre is his best hope, but he's not as refined as pierre in making contact as frequently. taveras is a strong defensive centerfielder which gathright isn't.(more like pierre in that regard).

I only was pointing out why he has let you and other owners and organizations down repeatedly and why I wouldn't bet on him personally, esp with dejesus in CF in KC.
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7316
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: katy, texas

Re: Alex Gordon.......Joey Gathright

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:11 am

DVauthrin wrote:pierre is his best hope, but he's not as refined as pierre in making contact as frequently. taveras is a strong defensive centerfielder which gathright isn't.(more like pierre in that regard).

I only was pointing out why he has let you and other owners and organizations down repeatedly and why I wouldn't bet on him personally, esp with dejesus in CF in KC.



Pierre doesn't exactly make contact alot. He batted .276 two years ago and then pushed it to .292 last year, but this year is hitting .269. I wouldn't be surprised to see him under .300. Not too mention his OBP is under .300 right now and for his career its .348.

Anyways I, like Snakes, have always been intrigued by gathright. At this point he can't really burn you because if he does come up and you do decide to pick him up its not like you are heavily invested. Therefore he really should only be able to help and not hurt you that bad. Anyone remember a few years ago when he legged out a triple in 9 seconds. 9 SECONDS!! Hes WICKED fast. By now we've all seen him jump over cars, but i'm not sure how that translates to baseball. If gathright does indeed get called up I think he'll definately be worth a pickup by those hungry for steals.

My question is, is why does alex gordon get treated completely different than Butler. Not only does Gordon get to start the year in the majors but the organization stays heavily invested and lets him struggle through the first 2 months of the season. Then when Butler does get called up he doesn't play everyday, and at the first sign of a struggle he gets sent back down. Isn't Butler supposed to be a better hitter than Gordon? If they were going to stick with gordon for so long why didn't they give that same priviledge to Butler??
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 2021
(Past Year: 24)
Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Cafe of Fantasies

Re: Alex Gordon.......Joey Gathright

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:37 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:gathright has ALWAYS intrigued me simply because hes the fastest guy playing baseball. ill definitely be keeping my eye on him, but hes let me down time and time again.


doesn't matter how fast you are if you are mediocre defensively, have no power and can't steal 1b.


:? i never said he could do those things. thats why hes just "intriguing" and not owned in any leagues at this point.

but, everything you said about him really doesnt matter. look at juan pierre. he has NO arm, NO power, and has a pretty mediocre OBP as well. gathright could easily be pierre down the line. hes shown before that he can have a high avg, albeit with a low OBP. i dont see why he cant be a pierre/taveras/duffy type of player.



No, no, Gathright's problem is not OBP, his Isolated OBP is decent to good. He have a ton of problem making contact.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13262
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS

Re: Alex Gordon.......Joey Gathright

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:42 am

I gave up on Gathright a long time ago. I don't ever see him becoming a regular in MLB.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact