Improving ERA and WHIP: Who is the best middle relief guy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Improving ERA and WHIP: Who is the best middle relief guy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Improving ERA and WHIP: Who is the best middle relief guy?

Postby samjerky » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:38 am

In regards to Broxton, he had some really bad luck in that last game if you saw it. He should have had two outs but for some fielding errors / tough plays. Also, he's a young guy and I think there is extra pressure in moving to the closing role, so you've got to give him time. This year I think he's still worth having, because he's definitely next in line in LA for the closing job and because he's a strikeout monster (he just got another one as I type). So as far as middle relief goes, he's definitely still in the elite.
samjerky Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Improving ERA and WHIP: Who is the best middle relief guy?

Postby deutschland » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:37 am

Fugetaboutit wrote:Im gonna go against the grain and say Betancourt. I think he has the best chance to get saves from this group of middle releivers you mentioned. His ratios also look stellar. Broxton I feel might have a shot to close as well if Saito's injury is more serious, or he just starts showing his age in the second half. I dont think either is too likely at this point, but I feel they have the best chance to get future saves this year.

Yup, Betancourt is probably the most forgotten middle reliever right now. Early on everyone was talking about F. Cabrera taking over if Borowski failed but Bet has been stellar since F-Cab's struggles. I liken Betancourt to R. Soriano right now. They are both setting up similar guys in Borowski and Wickman. Betancourt is also likely less owned than a lot of other comparable middle relievers, like Neshek or Broxton.

Another guy to not forget about is Jason Frasor. He is quietly putting up really nice numbers since he lost the closer's job. Accardo has struggled in his past couple of outings. Good insurance for current Accardo owners as I don't see anyone else in Toronto as a viable closer option. Remember, Ryan is gone for sure. It's either Accardo or Frasor for the rest of the year.
deutschland
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers