Hideki Matsui - The Wrist - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Hideki Matsui - The Wrist

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hideki Matsui - The Wrist

Postby lostraven » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:35 am

I'll keep it brief. What's the likelihood that his wrist injury last year sapped his HR
power? This year he's pretty close to his career average/per game in doubles so
far (just slightly more than average). His HR numbers seem a bit pedestrian, though
he's on a similar pace to 2005. I ask because I have a Webb trade that involves
my choice of either Matsui or Sheffield plus another player.

-ShawnD
lostraven
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hideki Matsui - The Wrist

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:47 am

Unfortunately, I can't help out with the wrist injury...but I think Matsui should still finish with mid 20 HR, 100, 100...he's too solid...but I'd take Sheffield over Matsui since Shef splashes in the occasional SB...
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby ragged25 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:06 pm

I too would go for Sheffield...
^Thanks Alec03^
ragged25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sabolives » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:18 pm

I wonder if this posted only due to the inane comment from the ESPN broadcasters on this topic from the Monday night broadcast. The ESPN announcers, just as their football broadcasts, are IDIOTS. The play-by-play moron talked about how matsui hit 50 HRs in japan and acted like his lack of power since coming over has been some kind of on-going concern. Now time for the facts. Japanese players are expected to hit less HRs over here. Additionally, the announcer incorrectly said matsui hit 31 HRs when he first came over, in fact it was 16. Matsui also hit only 23 HRs in his last full season BEFORE the wrist.

He's simply a 20 HR hitter. Take him for what he is, a modestly low K, (sometimes) high OBP doubles hitter who hits in the middle of the best lineup in baseball. But come on, never EVER listen to ESPN announcers. Sutcliffe, Dusty Baker, Theismann, Morgan = :*
sabolives
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby KING OF QUEENS » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:37 pm

lostraven wrote:I ask because I have a Webb trade that involves
my choice of either Matsui or Sheffield plus another player.

-ShawnD

Has the "player to be named later" been named? Sheffield has been so hot lately that you should be able to get a better 2nd player paired up with Matsui then you would with Sheffield. Both these guys will have the numbers at season's end, so I would look at the whole deal.

Lost Angels of Anaheim
KING OF QUEENS
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:05 pm

Good post sabolives. I don't think there should be any concern at all about Matsui right now. ESPN does suck now, I read on some blog that they did a SportsCenter segment about 'Johan Santana's bad start' and if he will turn his season around. Pretty funny considering he has a 3.30 ERA and a K/9 ratio above 9
FantasyFreak
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby lostraven » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:17 pm

sabolives wrote:I wonder if this posted only due to the inane comment from the ESPN broadcasters on this topic from the Monday night broadcast.

I can honestly say "no". I ignore ESPN for the most part, and didn't watch any games last night.
I raised the issue because it's general knowledge that baseball players that break their wrist will
often have reduced power. While Matsui is hitting the ball well, I have natural concerns about
his power numbers coming off such an injury. I compared his 2B/HR numbers currently with his
career U.S. numbers and found them to be fairly close. If I saw a profound increase in doubles
and a drop off in HR, I'd be more concerned. I was merely curious what other people's opinions
were concerning Matsui.

KING OF QUEENS wrote:Has the "player to be named later" been named? Sheffield has been so hot lately that you should be able to get a better 2nd player paired up with Matsui then you would with Sheffield. Both these guys will have the numbers at season's end, so I would look at the whole deal.

It's a keeper league with a minors system so the second player could likely be a minor leaguer
like Longoria. It hasn't been fully discussed yet. Your observation is interesting though!

-Shawn
lostraven
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sabolives » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:45 pm

I went again and checked out Matsui's numbers immediately after coming back from the surgery last year. He hit 3 dingers in 18 games in September (27 HR pace, albeit, small sample size) so everything appeared, even then, as a-OK from a health standpoint.

Apart from the wrist, I think Abreu's seeming return will definitely help as his OPS, historically, is much better deeper in the lineup than in the 3 hole, where he had been while Abreu was slumping. In the 6 hole, with a raking Cano behind him, makes me think (hope) we could be looking at his best production (R/RBI) yet. ;D
sabolives
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby sabolives » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:56 pm

I also got offtrack by my chance to rant on ESPN, so I forgot to answer your actual question. Despite my Godzilla optimism, I think Sheff is a no-brainer in the deal. I do have serious doubts that he'll stay on anything resembling his current HR pace due to Comerica. I'd wager he falls short of 30. But due to his SB potential, better R opportunities, and, most importantly, his ability to garner more value in subsequent deals, I'd take Sheff in a heart beat.
sabolives
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Injuries & Player Updates