What stats to use? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What stats to use?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What stats to use?

Postby princethomas » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:24 pm

I played last year for the first time. It was my first time and all of my friends first time as well. I had Runs Hits HRs RBIs SB's Total Bases and Avg. I added Total Bases last year because I wanted to reward extra base hits. But I dont think that stat worked out very well. One team got ahead and no one ever caught them.
Ive heard that OPS is the best stat to use. It incorporates walks and extra base hits and power andhaving a good eye.
So what should I use? What about fielding % Id like to maybe try that. I dont think I want to use negative stats.

What do all of you guys use? For pitching too?
princethomas
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby allyg » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:34 pm

Its a tough call to decide which stats to use. Most leagues are 5x5. Five pitching (era, k's, saves, whip & wins) & five hitting (hits, avg., hr,runs and sb). Personally, I feel that is more than enough. When you begin to add total bases and other categories, they begin getting redundant and overlap. For example, if you get a guy who hits alot of dingers, hes already getting credit for every category, now your making them even more valuable if you are counting total bases. If anything, sluggers like Sosa, Thome and Sexson should be penalized for wiffing so much. 5X5 is more enough to have a fun and competitive league.
Half of Baseball is 90 percent mental
allyg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby allyg » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:38 pm

im now a supervisor...woo-hoo. thanks princethomas
Half of Baseball is 90 percent mental
allyg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kentx12 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:40 pm

I am in a 12 team keeper and we have been using these stats for 3 yrs now. I love it. Makes you alot more careful of some of the players you would normally use.

Runs
Hits
Doubles
Triples
Home Runs
Runs Batted In
Stolen Bases
Walks
Strikeouts
Total Bases
Errors
Batting Average
On-base Percentage
Slugging Percentage

Pitching Appearances
Innings Pitched
Wins
Losses
Complete Games
Shutouts
Saves
Home Runs
Walks
Strikeouts
Holds
Earned Run Average
(Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched
Strikeouts per Nine Innings
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:47 pm

wow.

Ill stick to 5x5.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BobbyRoberto » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:56 pm

My league uses the following:

Hitting--Runs, HR, RBI, SB, OBP, SLG
Pitching--Wins, Strikeouts, Saves, Winning Percentage, ERA, WHIP

I think OBP and SLG are much better indicators of a quality hitter than batting average. With these categories, Barry Bonds was the best player in our league last year (huge OBP and SLG) by a comfortable margin over Pujols (great OBP and SLG also). In my opinion, that's a legitimate result.

Personally, I wouldn't want to go back to using Batting Average. If I'd switch from using both OBP and SLG, I'd use OPS as a single-category replacement for Batting Average.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:43 pm

I'm in a 6x6. In a concession to traditional versus stats guys, we kept BA and added OPS. I agree that OBP and SLG replacing BA is teh way I would prefer, but our compromise seems to work. OPs basically adds extra weight to the good overall hitters, so if it double counts, at least it double counts the things that should matter more.

On pitching we added holds to the traditional 5. I really like, because it brings a whole bunch of interesting pitchers into play and adds another element of strategy in to the mix. It also makes pitching staffs more like real baseball with starters, closers, and set-up guys.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby xeifrank » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:12 pm

I prefer 5x5 also. I could live with either Average or OPS as the 5th offensive category, all the others being standard. I think most leagues choose Average over OPS because it's the way it's always been done and it's easier to follow in the box scores (not that that's a good reason).

For pitching (wins, era, saves, whip and Ks). Of these 5 categories the one I dislike the most is saves. It's too easy to get a save when you didn't pitch that well. A better category would be Save percentage, but ratio categories tend to confuse people.

vr,

Xeifrank
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:30 pm

6x6 (normal 5x5 and Hitter K's and Holds)

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby trevisc » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:15 pm

i'm old school 5x5
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers