100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Salty--C--Braves

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Salty--C--Braves

Postby Fantasy Man 27 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:38 pm

ShadyChrs wrote:
shasty mcnasty wrote:
ShadyChrs wrote:Salty has given up 4 SBs today. I know he is an excellent defensive catcher, but it's still helps efforts to get him out of McCann's shadow

i can't tell what you're trying to say here... :?

how can Salty be, "an excellent defensive catcher" and also give up 4 SBs today? Do you mean he's a good receiver, just has a bad arm, or are they stealing on the pitcher today, or what? And how will this game get him out of McCann's shadow? Do you mean out of McCann' shadow and out from behind the plate since everyone and their mom is stealing on him, or what? I'm confused by the post, and in general, i'd like to know about his abilities defensively...

I meant that while he is rated as a very good defensive catcher(better then McCann), any time you give up 5 SB's it hurts your chances of getting starts there. I meant out of his shadow as in stalking his footsteps, which I realize know was a botched, mixed metaphor.

Today, Saltalamacchia had an off day. Normally, he throws bullets to second base, but today he had 3 straight balls the tailed on him and hit the runner. He even threw a bad ball on a pitchout.

If you are asking whether or not he or McCann is the better defensive catcher, I would have to say Saltalamacchia is. McCann is having an awful time blocking balls. Yesterday, McCann let a ball skip away from him on a third strike, and he couldn't throw out the runner. What happened? A two-run single the next AB.

For all of you frustrated McCann owners, you can predict when he is going ot have an off day. Day after night games and the double header you should have known about. He is getting better though, and is hitting the ball hard.
Fantasy Man 27
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:07 pm

I haven't seen him enough to form my own opinion but when he was in the minors he had a reputation (Sickels, BA, BP) for having poor defense.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby duckbillgates » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:11 am

Hmm, between McCann getting cortizone shots and the little Salty at 1B experiment, he's getting enough ABs to be worth looking at. Plus he's getting showcased a little bit in case the Braves will finally listen to trade offers on him.

Who's with me?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:47 pm

duckbillgates wrote:Hmm, between McCann getting cortizone shots and the little Salty at 1B experiment, he's getting enough ABs to be worth looking at. Plus he's getting showcased a little bit in case the Braves will finally listen to trade offers on him.

Who's with me?

Wondering the same thing here. I guess if he either gets traded to a team that'll start him consistently or gets the 1B job his value will go way up.
-Lane
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby bigken117 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:11 pm

I'm starting him at C in my 14 team league (1 C spot) and 15 team league (2 C spot)...I'd rather have a guy who can hit while he's in there even if he doesn't play every day, than a guy who's going to hit .200 and crush my spirit like David Ross or Chris Iannetta.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:02 am

What's the long-term outlook on this guy? I want to get excited about him but he hit .230 in AA ball last year, doesn't that concern anyone? He had 313 AB's so not exactly a small sample size. He's hitting well when he's in there now, but I wonder if that would last if he got a full-time gig.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BravesGuy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:04 pm

he hit .230 last year b/c he was recovering form an injury
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)

Postby brandnew » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:21 pm

BravesGuy wrote:he hit .230 last year b/c he was recovering form an injury

He had a pretty badly hurt wrist, and he didn't tell anyone. Check out his stats after he got off the DL and his wrist was feeling better. They're pretty good. This kid can rake, there's nothing not to like about him. Both of his batting stances/swings are so sweet. ;D
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:31 pm

Great insight guys, thanks.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager