3B speculation - Braun, Zim, Rolen, Teahen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

3B speculation - Braun, Zim, Rolen, Teahen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

3B speculation - Braun, Zim, Rolen, Teahen

Postby RugbyD » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:42 am

I'm getting a headache trying to put a relative value on these guys for the rest of the year. Right now I have it like this:

Teahen
Braun
Zim
Rolen

But any one of them could be the #1 for the rest of the year. 2 are young, 'proven', and hitting #3 on crap teams. Braun will probably be OK, but is still an unknown first his first ML season. Rolen looks like he's finally coming around and had great numbers last year. I think Teahen gets the nod for #1 b/c he is OF eligible. Anybody feel like making a strong case for any of these guys? Different order but also in agreement that this is a close call?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

call me crazy

Postby valnas » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:47 am

Rolen hit well over the last month prior to his concussion, and I think he'll be productive for the rest of the year after his horrid start.
valnas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MTUCache » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:14 am

I'm putting Braun above Teahen... for the simple fact that he hits in a lineup which is going to provide him with many more opportunities for RBIs, Runs, etc.

Teahen will hit for good average, with good power, but the guys around him are downright awful.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby itodd » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:39 pm

where does BJ Upton fit into the conversation? (am i the only person that uses him at 3rd?)
itodd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MTUCache » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:46 pm

itodd wrote:where does BJ Upton fit into the conversation? (am i the only person that uses him at 3rd?)

Well... seeing as how 2B is turning out to the be the thinnest position this year (at least from what I'm seeing), you must have another very good option to put there if you're playing Upton at 3B.

As for his performace through the rest of the year... I'm putting him about equal with Braun and Teahen. All three of them (barring injury) should end up finishing the season about equal, after you equalize the power numbers for the speed numbers.

Upton is on an up-and-coming team, surrounded with plenty of raw talent, but the guy is a human windmill. Eventually he's going to fall into a couple weeks where he stops making contact with the ball and has an extended slump. I'm just hoping it's not anytime soon. Until then, he's going to keep tearing it up.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby itodd » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:50 pm

MTUCache wrote:Well... seeing as how 2B is turning out to the be the thinnest position this year (at least from what I'm seeing), you must have another very good option to put there if you're playing Upton at 3B.

its weird when Brandon Phillips is a "very good option" :-]

thanks for the opinion, I keep thinking Uptons in a slump then i check his weekly line and his average is always decent.
itodd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:00 pm

You guys need to watch Upton actually hit the ball instead of looking at the box score to determine how he is doing.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MTUCache » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:03 pm

Yoda wrote:You guys need to watch Upton actually hit the ball instead of looking at the box score to determine how he is doing.

Enlighten us?
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby itodd » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:07 pm

Yoda wrote:You guys need to watch Upton actually hit the ball instead of looking at the box score to determine how he is doing.

when theres a nationally televised Devil Rays game, lemme know :-B
itodd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:14 pm

MTUCache wrote:

Enlighten us?

You guys are using way too small of a sample size. His K rate is very high for sure and won't be hitting .400 on balls hit but still. You have to consider the fact that he is still very young and could make necessary adjustments as the season goes on.

Since we are dealing with small sample sizes anyway, look at his numbers since May 19, over 43 AB he is at 8/9 BB/K. No one is expecting BJ to hit .350 the rest of the way. But he will have his ups and downs so don't count on him tanking any time soon.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers