When Will Josh Fields Be Called Up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When Will Josh Fields Be Called Up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When Will Josh Fields Be Called Up?

Postby Prooks25 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:49 am

I remember hearing a while back that they were experimenting with Fields at SS, but now I notice they have stopped playing him there in the minors...

Crede has been absolutely brutal mainly due to his bad back, so when does Fields get the call?
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: When Will Josh Fields Be Called Up?

Postby Centerfielder » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:26 pm

Although I haven't really had the chance to find out much info. I just found and read this from USA Today. In a 20 team league, where I'm very weak at 3rd Base, I'm almost tempted to pick him up and just wait and see what takes place.

=========
UsaToday.Com
Chicago Whitesox Team Notes:
Posted 6/5/2007 5:20 AM ET

—3B Josh Fields was so impressive to Williams in his tour of the minor leagues that the GM said on Monday that the club might have to start looking for a way to get the former first-round pick to the big-league level this season. Playing left field, as Fields did in the winter, could be an option.

=========
Centerfielder
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Centerfielder » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:29 pm

I should also add I'm weak at Left Field... and several other positions. I'm almost considering picking up Hopper now or Pie.
Centerfielder
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Prooks25 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:42 pm

Can any ChiSox fans chime in with updates on Fields? I am in desperate need of a 3B.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby shasty mcnasty » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:23 pm

well, Crede's out of the lineup today because of the back, and i heard ozzie on 670 the score this afternoon talking about how he might put crede on the DL since he'd rather lose him for 15 days than a larger chunk of time. Of course, that's not a permanent situation, and i think unless Crede's back gets really bad and/or he opts for surgery, then Fields probably won't be a fixture this year, although i suppose if Podsednik doesn't work out, we could see Fields in left.
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:44 pm

has there been any word out of Chicago today on wheather Crede will hit the DL and Fields could be called up?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Rounders » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:13 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:has there been any word out of Chicago today on wheather Crede will hit the DL and Fields could be called up?

Just heard on ESPN Radio in Chicago that Crede is on the DL and Fields is up.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shasty mcnasty » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:16 pm

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070606&content_id=2008972&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

CHICAGO - Prior to tonight's game vs. the New York Yankees, the Chicago White Sox placed third baseman Joe Crede on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to June 5) with lower back inflammation and recalled third baseman Josh Fields from Class AAA Charlotte.
The White Sox also announced that outfielder Scott Podsednik, who has been on the disabled list since April 16 with a right adductor strain, will begin a rehabilitation assignment tonight with Charlotte at Louisville.

Crede, 29, is hitting .216 (36-167) with four home runs and 22 RBI in 47 games this season. He ranks fourth among American League third basemen with a .971 fielding percentage. Crede received his first Silver Slugger Award in 2006 after setting career highs with a .283 average, 31 doubles, 30 home runs, 94 RBI and 76 runs scored.

Fields, 24, is batting .283 (58-205) with 14 doubles, 10 home runs and 37 RBI in 56 games with Charlotte this season. He has walked 39 times and compiled a .394 on-base and .498 slugging percentage. Over his last 24 games, Fields is hitting .363 (33-91) with seven home runs and 26 RBI.

The 6-foot-1, 215-pounder, who entered the season ranked by Baseball America as the No. 2 Prospect in the White Sox organization, ranks fourth in the International League in home runs and fifth in RBI. Fields reached base safely in 25 consecutive games from May 3-28 and was named IL Batter of the Week for May 21-27.

Fields, the White Sox first-round draft choice (No. 18 overall) in 2004, was named IL Rookie of the Year in 2006 after hitting .305 (141-462) with 32 doubles, 19 home runs and 70 RBI in 124 games with the Knights. He played in 11 games with the Sox last season, going 3-20 (.150) with one home run and two RBI.

Podsednik, 31, was hitting .303 (10-33) with one home run, two RBI and three stolen bases in 10 games with the Sox before going on the disabled list. His 169 stolen bases from 2004-06 were the most in the major leagues.
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:15 pm

awesome news!
ive allready dropped Kouzmanoff for Fields.

i see some nice projections for Fields this season if he gets playing time..
ZiPS- (461AB) .262 AVG, 18 HR, 69 RBI, 79 R, 13 SB
CHONE- (476AB) .258 AVG, 16 HR, 60 RBI, 65 R, 16 SB
Bill James- (247AB) .275 AVG, 11 HR, 37 RBI, 41 R, 12 SB

if he his well while Crede is on the DL could Fields stick with the team as a regular/semi regular player maybe in LF? or maybe Crede wont improve while on the DL and will opt for surgery?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby shasty mcnasty » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:36 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:awesome news!
ive allready dropped Kouzmanoff for Fields.

i see some nice projections for Fields this season if he gets playing time..
ZiPS- (461AB) .262 AVG, 18 HR, 69 RBI, 79 R, 13 SB
CHONE- (476AB) .258 AVG, 16 HR, 60 RBI, 65 R, 16 SB
Bill James- (247AB) .275 AVG, 11 HR, 37 RBI, 41 R, 12 SB

if he his well while Crede is on the DL could Fields stick with the team as a regular/semi regular player maybe in LF? or maybe Crede wont improve while on the DL and will opt for surgery?

i heard a quote from Ozzie in which he mentioned talking to Crede about his future (i assume back surgery). There was no indication from that or any other sound bite that Crede would be having surgery this season...obviously if the back is bad and stays that way, Fields would be the guy, but i have to think that if the back gets better (which it has done in the past after a few days off here or there), then Crede will be the guy. Field's could also get ABs in the event of a Podsednik injury...but even there, if Pods couldn't make it back and/or was ineffective (not hard to imagine), then you've still got Erstad returning from his ankle problem, and for whatever reason, the Sox just love him...i'm pretty sure he'd get the OF spot before Fields would, and in the OF, there's also Jerry Owens to be considered. Field's best bet for PT is a prolonged Crede absence/surgery. If Fields has to rely on an OF position, i'd say he'll probably get squeezed. Although the 3 guys ahead of him all have their issues, it just seems unlikely that all 3 will be considered worse options than Fields.
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers