Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Worst trades of all time

Postby thedude » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:12 pm

stejaycubs wrote:
DK wrote:Ty Cobb for a box of donuts

Walter Johnson for a suit

I am not making those up.

Is this really true?

I don't know if those are true or not, but i do know were playing minor league independent league ball.
Johnson was playing in the Southern Idaho League, and was so sure that he wouldn't make the Senators he requested a return train ticket from the team before he headed East.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CadensDad » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:11 pm

Smoltz trade I think has the biggest longterm effect of all of them

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby j24jags » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:08 pm

I know Kazmir hasn't put it all together yet, but Victor Zambrano for Scott Kazmir could potentially be on this list...
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby WaCougMBS » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:10 pm

This one always sticks out in my mind:

Grady Sizemore Cliff Lee, Brandon Phillips, and Lee Stevens...

For Bartolo Colón and Tim Drew %-6 :-P !+)
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:21 pm

CadensDad wrote:Smoltz trade I think has the biggest longterm effect of all of them

From someone else's list, this looks to be a bigger long-term effect
November 29, 1971 – The Cincinnati Reds trade infielders Lee May, Tommy Helms, and Jimmy Stewart to the Houston Astros for pitcher Jack Billingham, outfielders Ed Armbrister and Cesar Geronimo, infielder Denis Menke, and second baseman Joe Morgan.

In a deal panned by the Cincinnati press, the Reds picked up three big pieces of the Big Red Machine in Morgan, Geronimo, and Billingham. Thanks in large part of this trade, the Reds would run off ten straight winning seasons, five division titles, three National League Championships, and two World Series titles. In return, they would trade May, who had just come off of a 39 home run season. He remained productive, but wouldn’t be a superstar. Helms was average, and Jimmy Stewart would win fame and fortune in the movie It’s a Wonderful Life.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Carnac » Tue May 12, 2009 6:34 pm

Ruth to the Yankees for 80K and an 86 year curse on Red Sox fans ranks right up there.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jediknight » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:42 am

Ken Griffey Jr. to Reds for Mike Cameron and others= Worst trade all time.
Jr. was the best player in the game,and in his prime at the time of the trade.He was 30yrs. old coming off of 4 seasons averaging 52 hr's and 140+ RBI's. The hopes in Cincinnati were so high. They tore down a perfectly good stadium, to build one w/ a short porch in left for him. If you look at his stats, mainly RBI's and Hit totals per year, before and after the trade it's like night and day. The Reds thought they were getting Babe Ruth in his prime, what they really got was something I still can't put into words. Just year after year of not even being able to play a full season. Some might say the injuries were just bad luck, but the batting AVG. was also considerably lower than his seattle days. I think most of the Reds fans are still trying to get their jaw off the floor. But some are like in a state of long term shock of 9 yrs. that they don't even realize what just happened, because of the unbelievability of it all. Adding to the lack of play and low stats, the Reds have had losing seasons ever since Griffey came. I challenge anyone to post a baseball trade that has more disappointment, and a total turn for the worse affecting an entire organization and city.
jediknight
T-Ball Trainer

Previous

Return to Baseball History