What If.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What If....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:08 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Great idea for a thread by the way. ;-D ;-D


Completely agree.

I disagree. From player management side it gives the NL a large advantage.

The AL needs to allocate money to field start 9 everyday players. The NL only needs to field 8 starting everyday players. So NL teams can spend more money on each individual player. This enables an NL Team X, which has the same budget as an AL Team Y, to outbid Team Y, and thereby get the best free agents.


The fundamental flaw with this argument is the assumption that all teams are operating with the same budget. If that were the case, you could argue that AL teams had to allocate less money per player, to field a full team of 9 batters. I could see this being an issue with smaller market AL teams, but for the larger market teams, all its doing is creating more lineup flexibility, and allowing their starting pitchers to go deeper into games without having to be strategically pulled in a double switch. I do think, however, as previously stated, that removal of the DH from the AL would lead to many AL payrolls taking a ride south.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 301)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Postby hersch223 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:09 pm

jealousblues wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:I dont want to see pitchers bat and have the potential with injury by having them bat. Why not have the best lineup out there?


Good point, maybe we can Have Pujols hit all nine spots...
best line up and all ;-)


Ghost runner on first!!!!
hersch223
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 268
Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:10 pm

thedude wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:I agree, people always make the statement that AL ball is more exciting but I see it as an issue of fairness as opposed to entertainment. It's a huge advantage for the AL to have the DH, so even if it's more entertaining, it's cheap to the NL because they don't have it.



I disagree. From player management side it gives the NL a large advantage.

The AL needs to allocate money to field start 9 everyday players. The NL only needs to field 8 starting everyday players. So NL teams can spend more money on each individual player. This enables an NL Team X, which has the same budget as an AL Team Y, to outbid Team Y, and thereby get the best free agents.


Your argument makes sense but by having an extra hitter in their lineup, the entire lineup is strengthened- lets take the White Sox as an example. If they could only have Thome or Konerko, their entire lineup would be thrown off- it would become that much weaker without one of them. That's why the DH gives the AL the advantage, it allows for their lineups to be much stronger.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1961
Joined: 2 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The good old Midwest

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:11 pm

hersch223 wrote:
jealousblues wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:I dont want to see pitchers bat and have the potential with injury by having them bat. Why not have the best lineup out there?


Good point, maybe we can Have Pujols hit all nine spots...
best line up and all ;-)


Ghost runner on first!!!!


Haha, good old wiffleball/pickup baseball games. ;-D
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1961
Joined: 2 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The good old Midwest

Postby samjerky » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:15 pm

sportsaddict wrote: That's why the DH gives the AL the advantage, it allows for their lineups to be much stronger.


But Thome doesn't come with a DH stamp on his forehead. If the guy had to play an OF position but the Sox could then drop another player and use it toward a pitcher upgrade, wouldn't that mean they had a stronger team?
samjerky Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 624
Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jealousblues » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:15 pm

sportsaddict wrote:Oh yeah also, since bighort was talking about AL managers not having to manage the game as much, it got me to thinking that managers in the AL do not have to deal with pinch hitting for their pitchers like NL managers do. So when the 6th inning rolls around, and the pitcher's spot comes up in a 2-1 game with 2 on and 2 outs, the NL manager has to make the tough decision as to pinch hit or not, but the AL does not deal with this.


and relievers too.
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Posts: 2471
Joined: 6 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:17 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:
thedude wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:I agree, people always make the statement that AL ball is more exciting but I see it as an issue of fairness as opposed to entertainment. It's a huge advantage for the AL to have the DH, so even if it's more entertaining, it's cheap to the NL because they don't have it.



I disagree. From player management side it gives the NL a large advantage.

The AL needs to allocate money to field start 9 everyday players. The NL only needs to field 8 starting everyday players. So NL teams can spend more money on each individual player. This enables an NL Team X, which has the same budget as an AL Team Y, to outbid Team Y, and thereby get the best free agents.


Your argument makes sense but by having an extra hitter in their lineup, the entire lineup is strengthened- lets take the White Sox as an example. If they could only have Thome or Konerko, their entire lineup would be thrown off- it would become that much weaker without one of them. That's why the DH gives the AL the advantage, it allows for their lineups to be much stronger.


yeah but its not like they would even have both on their teams right now. they could easily trade thome to a team like the yankees for another position


Even if it's not a player of the caliber of Thome, having an actual hitter hitting for the pitcher makes your lineup that much better.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1961
Joined: 2 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The good old Midwest

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 2:59 hours
(and 89 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact