Punt Catchers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Punt Catchers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NYYANKEEZ25 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:05 pm

I am definitely not complaining, I have Posada. ;-D
"winners make the rules, losers follow them."

Image


rate my team!!!
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2216480#2216480
NYYANKEEZ25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 366
Joined: 3 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:06 pm

NYYANKEEZ25 wrote:I am definitely not complaining, I have Posada. ;-D


How is that applicable to this thread?
Image

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3540
(Past Year: 135)
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NZF » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:11 pm

Terrible strategy to punt positional hitting. You potentially help just one category and hurt 4 by doing this. You have to maximise your full roster to be as competitive as possble to win any league, epecially roto leagues.

In standard leagues there are catchers like Napoli (HR's and SB's), Ross (HR's), Kendall (runs and SB's) and Bard (HR's) that can make the difference between winning and losing a league.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4795
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby Old_Style » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:14 pm

NZF wrote:Terrible strategy to punt positional hitting. You potentially help just one category and hurt 4 by doing this. You have to maximise your full roster to be as competitive as possble to win any league, epecially roto leagues.

In standard leagues there are catchers like Napoli (HR's and SB's), Ross (HR's), Kendall (runs and SB's) and Bard (HR's) that can make the difference between winning and losing a league.


You can get away with not starting a catcher in H2H leagues more times than not.
Image
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6885
Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at the last neighborhood corner tavern

Postby The Jury » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:16 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
Rubidium wrote:I'm doing it in my 12 team NL only where we start two catchers, but that's because I traded away Ross and the best free agent option is Ramon Castro. But yeah, if those are your best options and you have a good use of the roster space elsewhere, I would consider it.


why in the world would your 12 team nl only league require you to start 2 catchers? :-?


Good point. Wow that's nuts!
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3328
Joined: 17 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:18 pm

The Jury wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
Rubidium wrote:I'm doing it in my 12 team NL only where we start two catchers, but that's because I traded away Ross and the best free agent option is Ramon Castro. But yeah, if those are your best options and you have a good use of the roster space elsewhere, I would consider it.


why in the world would your 12 team nl only league require you to start 2 catchers? :-?


Good point. Wow that's nuts!


I was thinking that as well. The only thing I could think of is if it's a very deep league and that backups are starting for you at most positions.
Image

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3540
(Past Year: 135)
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby angelo285 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:49 pm

On top of avoiding a drop in avg from punting a catcher, you can also get another 1-2 games a week in from an OF who would otherwise not have been on your roster. Or, you can tag on another middle reliever or spot starter.

Essentially, you have to weigh the following factors:

Increase in avg from avoiding a bad catcher + increase in numbers from additional player added

Versus:

Loss of production from bad catcher
angelo285
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 195
Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZF » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:49 pm

Old_Style wrote:
NZF wrote:Terrible strategy to punt positional hitting. You potentially help just one category and hurt 4 by doing this. You have to maximise your full roster to be as competitive as possble to win any league, epecially roto leagues.

In standard leagues there are catchers like Napoli (HR's and SB's), Ross (HR's), Kendall (runs and SB's) and Bard (HR's) that can make the difference between winning and losing a league.


You can get away with not starting a catcher in H2H leagues more times than not.


It is still a big disadvantage. Why not have someone that can potentially contribute in 4 from 5 cats? Makes no sense not to even if they bat .200
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4795
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby Old_Style » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:13 am

NZF wrote:
Old_Style wrote:
NZF wrote:Terrible strategy to punt positional hitting. You potentially help just one category and hurt 4 by doing this. You have to maximise your full roster to be as competitive as possble to win any league, epecially roto leagues.

In standard leagues there are catchers like Napoli (HR's and SB's), Ross (HR's), Kendall (runs and SB's) and Bard (HR's) that can make the difference between winning and losing a league.


You can get away with not starting a catcher in H2H leagues more times than not.


It is still a big disadvantage. Why not have someone that can potentially contribute in 4 from 5 cats? Makes no sense not to even if they bat .200


I guess it depends on your situation.

My outfield is a little iffy right now with Damon slumping/injured and Sheffield out for a few days. I had Doumit as my primary catcher after Piazza went down and eventually dropped Doumit after his injury for an outfielder I could plug in whenever I saw Damon wasn't playing.
Image
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6885
Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at the last neighborhood corner tavern

Re:

Postby Rubidium » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:54 pm

angelo285 wrote:On top of avoiding a drop in avg from punting a catcher, you can also get another 1-2 games a week in from an OF who would otherwise not have been on your roster. Or, you can tag on another middle reliever or spot starter.

Essentially, you have to weigh the following factors:

Increase in avg from avoiding a bad catcher + increase in numbers from additional player added

Versus:

Loss of production from bad catcher


That's what I was thinking, and I thought for him it wouldn't be a bad idea, but honestly I only play roto (I would never do it in a standard roto league), so I'm not sure how much it would hurt.

The Jury wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
why in the world would your 12 team nl only league require you to start 2 catchers? :-?


Good point. Wow that's nuts!


We've played NL only with the standard Yahoo roster positions for the past two years, so we decided to mix it up a little this year. It's not as fun as we thought it would be though. Bennett, Ianetta, Montero, Saltalamacchia, and Lieberthal are all owned and starting, and a bunch of teams have at least one empty slot there.
Rubidium
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 688
Joined: 9 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Philadelphia

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blanchexc11, ericada3, germani40, nicholedk11 and 14 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Apr. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Arizona at Chi Cubs
(12:10 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(2:20 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(3:10 pm)
Houston at Seattle
(3:35 pm)
Kansas City at Cleveland
(3:40 pm)
LA Angels at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Toronto at Toronto
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Baltimore at Baltimore
(7:07 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
NY Yankees at Boston
(7:10 pm)
St. Louis at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Minnesota at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Diego at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Philadelphia at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact