Calling all Statfreaks: Synergy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Calling all Statfreaks: Synergy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Calling all Statfreaks: Synergy?

Postby StringerBell » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:16 pm

I`m just wondering if it is advantageous to have 2 guys on your team hitting close together in the same line-up. For Instance:
Freddy Sanchez and Jason Bay.If you have Freddy on base and Jason knocking him in then you reap rewards for both Runs and RBI. On the other hand---if you have guys in separate line-ups with good guys in fron or back you will also reap rewards. So is it just a wash?
StringerBell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:06 pm

In this instance, for me at least, the sum is not greater than the parts. For rotisserie purposes, it doesn't matter who Bay is driving in, as long as he's amassing RBI. The same goes for who is driving Freddy Sanchez in, just that he is crossing the plate. At the end of the day, the numbers are all that matter, so you reap no additional benefit from carrying two players who bat adjacent to one another in a lineup; no more so than any other combination of two players. Some players may gain additional value from having certain players on their team, leading to more RBI Ops, more chances to score Runs, etc. but from a purely fantasy standpoint, I don't think it needs to be taken into consideration from the angle you're coming from.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby bobbing_headz » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:42 pm

bigh0rt wrote:In this instance, for me at least, the sum is not greater than the parts. For rotisserie purposes, it doesn't matter who Bay is driving in, as long as he's amassing RBI. The same goes for who is driving Freddy Sanchez in, just that he is crossing the plate. At the end of the day, the numbers are all that matter, so you reap no additional benefit from carrying two players who bat adjacent to one another in a lineup; no more so than any other combination of two players. Some players may gain additional value from having certain players on their team, leading to more RBI Ops, more chances to score Runs, etc. but from a purely fantasy standpoint, I don't think it needs to be taken into consideration from the angle you're coming from.

I completely agree. Really, players are gonna produce no matter who's on their team. Some days it may seem like it'd be good to have certain tandems of players as they rack up several runs/RBIs each. But, other days they'll slump and get nothing so it evens itself out. Now, as pointed out, some players do well if they bat near other players. Example, Sheff bats in front of Mags so he scores tons of runs but it also works in the opposite way in that Sheff gets on base a lot so Mags can drive him in.
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby samjerky » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:17 pm

Hey Stringer, ashame you got killed last season.

Anyway, you shouldn't value a player more highly just because you've got the guy behind him in the lineup.

Let's say you've got the guy who bats third (he's player 1) and you're considering the value of two players who bat fourth - one on the same team as your guy, and the other guy not.

You're psychic (or you just choose from expectation, which is essentially the same thing for our purposes), so you know that player A will hit 100 RBIs and player B will hit 101 RBIs. You also know that player 1 will get 150 runs, let's say.

Well now knowing those numbers, Player B is simply more valuable, right?

Now let's say you know Player A hits behind player 1. It doesn't change their numbers at all. But it DOES mean that player 1's runs are CORRELATED with Player A's RBIs (they tend to happen together), whereas they are UNCORRELATED with player B's RBIs.

So? Well, in Roto, this means that, because correlation doesn't matter over the course of a season, it makes ABSOLUTELY no difference that player A is on the same team as player 1. It also means that in H2H leagues, sometimes you will win big, and sometimes you will lose big, since your stats will be correlated. I don't see how that could benifit you.
samjerky Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:28 pm

if anything id say its worse, simply because if the team is on a bad losing streak, long road trip, facing a tough pitcher, you can burned twice as bad.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StringerBell » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:30 pm

samjerky wrote:Hey Stringer, ashame you got killed last season.

Yeah , Omar and Bro` Mouzon blew me up real good.

thanks for taking the time to answer my query.........
StringerBell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:54 pm

It doesn't make a huge difference, given that ultimatley, you need the runs and RBIs and it doesn't matter at all who is scoring the runs during your player's RBIs and who is driving your player in for his runs.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers