Working Out/Getting in Shape - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Working Out/Getting in Shape

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Working Out/Getting in Shape

Postby RyanK » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:36 pm

Yesterday I realized how horribly out of shape I am.

I havent lifted/worked out in a solid year and half or longer, lost pretty much all the muscle I had (use to weigh 180ish now im down to 155).

So after a year of college I feel like getting in shape again, but since i dont play a sport im not 100% sure how to work out/what to work out.

Should I just run and do light lifting? or should I go back to my hockey work out I use to do? any suggestions would be helpful.

Also ive been debating putting myself through hell the next 3 weeks to get in shape to try out for a junior hockey team, but i figured id just have to stick to running/plyometrics and light lifting to not burn out my body? anyone here a trainer or work out alot (rugby?)
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:47 pm

No matter how hard you work, I don't think 3 weeks will be enough to get you in shape for hockey, especially if you haven't worked out in awhile. You can try to get out there and log some miles, and do some sprints/agility stuff, and maybe try to lift a bit as well, but I think you would need at least a few months to get in shape for that.

Edit: and I will add, if you just want to increase your strength/cardio in general, I would recommend just getting out there and running a few miles a day or whatever, and trying to make use of the weight room if your college has one. Get up there a few times a week (3-4), and work out lower body, upper body, triceps, shoulders, etc. and just try to variate your workout every day. It sounds like you just want to get in good, overall shape, so just try to work on everything and gradually you'll catch up to where you once were.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RyanK » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:10 pm

sportsaddict wrote:No matter how hard you work, I don't think 3 weeks will be enough to get you in shape for hockey, especially if you haven't worked out in awhile.

yeah, i just had a harsh realization of that today when i went to run.

it was bad, but i still got through 3 miles, i mightve walked one or so during that time.. but it still was a good run and a start
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:50 pm

I started doing Tae Kwon Do a couple of years ago and have stretched out and firmed up quite a bit.

I am quite a bit older (39...) but the place I go is affiliated with the club at our local university and the college kids who I've run into are all in extremely good shape. The 'social' aspect of it seems more engaging to me than working out at a gym. You might look into something like that, depending on what's available.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby josebach » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:53 pm

I bought a mountain bike a few months ago and really enjoy it. Not only is it great exercise, but it gets you outside. My right knee is so bad, running really isn't an option. I also have no interest in lifting weights and becoming more muscular, so biking for me was the perfect alternative. The only downside is you really need somewhere nice close by to ride. I live right next to a really big park with lots of trails, so it's perfect.

I haven't been in this good of shape since I stopped playing baseball 12 years ago.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RyanK » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:10 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:I started doing Tae Kwon Do a couple of years ago and have stretched out and firmed up quite a bit.

I am quite a bit older (39...) but the place I go is affiliated with the club at our local university and the college kids who I've run into are all in extremely good shape. The 'social' aspect of it seems more engaging to me than working out at a gym. You might look into something like that, depending on what's available.

I was thinking something like yoga to work on my streching, Tae Kwon Do might be funner and pay off in the future at some point
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:45 pm

I was in top shape during my college days when I knew I could devote at least an hour to hitting the gym, but since working I've slacked off a bit. I still keep the routine of jogging 3-4 miles every morning, but could only devote a few hours on the weekend to weight train at my alma mater's gym when I have the time...and if/when I go, I get sidetracked into playing pickup basketball games (which is always a good cardio workout).

I'm slowly working back into practicing tae kwon do after a few years and getting up to speed on jeet kune do again.

I haven't played soccer in ages, but I've taken an interest in playing again. However, the last couple of months doing so, I've had an occasional shooting pain in my right shin. I reckon it's no big thing, but if/when I aggravate it, it's a bugger. :-/

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Coppermine » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:51 pm

I stopped drinking soda (or at least non-diet soda) when I was 20. I lost about 7 lbs without changing a single thing.

Now I can barely stand the stuff. I'm addicted to Coke Zero though.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:28 pm

RyanK wrote:I was thinking something like yoga to work on my streching, Tae Kwon Do might be funner and pay off in the future at some point

The variety in the workouts is fun. Kicking for a week, forms for a week, sparring occasionally mixed in. Most of the time you do a little bit of everything but it's mixing it up makes it fun. Occasionally we do things that are a bit silly like playing 'sharks and minnows' w/ the kids (which was won by a 50 something guy who won by leaping up on the stage at the community center at a sprint to get away from the squirrelly kids on the floor...) or doing 'bunny hops' to celebrate Easter and spring and all that. It sounded silly but the bunny hops kicked my butt across the gym and then she goes 'ok, turn around and bunny hop back!' yikes!!

I would suggest making sure what sort of program the class is. A guy I work with is going to a different place in town and I was alarmed to learn that his classes are 1/2 hour long which, to me, isn't really enough to push myself, even before I got into better shape. In our town, the park district classes are a great deal as well so that may be worth looking into.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby RyanK » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:42 pm

Coppermine wrote:I stopped drinking soda (or at least non-diet soda) when I was 20. I lost about 7 lbs without changing a single thing.

Now I can barely stand the stuff. I'm addicted to Coke Zero though.

I use to never drink soda, but now ive started to more, definatly something im gonna boot from my diet though
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk