is Ian Kennedy underrated? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

is Ian Kennedy underrated?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

is Ian Kennedy underrated?

Postby Members Only Jackets » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:45 am

Ian kennedy was the Yankees 1st round pick last year....

so far in high A: 1.29 ERA and 72 SO in 63 IP

7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 8 SO in his last game...

He's starting the All Star game in A Ball...Will Inman is the other starting SP.

They say he doesn't have great pure stuff but the results are there...

I can see him climb the charts as the year goes on....sort of like Matt Garza, Slowey and Gallardo did last year.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:49 am

a college arm as polished as Kennedy SHOULD have high strikeout rate in A+. For example #1 of why stuff doesn't equal minor league k rate, see Kevin Slowey.

And no, I don't think he's underrated at all.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Members Only Jackets » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:03 am

PWF---funny, Slowey came to mind when thinking about Kennedy becasue he's not overpowering like him (89-94mph) but is smart and mixes things up pretty good.

I think he's underrated because he's arguably just as good as Inman and adenhart but I never see his name mentioned....

watch...by July-August he'll be TOP 25 prospect.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:05 am

Members Only Jackets wrote:PWF---funny, Slowey came to mind when thinking about Kennedy becasue he's not overpowering like him (89-94mph) but is smart and mixes things up pretty good.

I think he's underrated because he's arguably just as good as Inman and adenhart but I never see his name mentioned....

Adenhart and Inman are hardly top 25 prospect :-?
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Members Only Jackets » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:36 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
Members Only Jackets wrote:PWF---funny, Slowey came to mind when thinking about Kennedy becasue he's not overpowering like him (89-94mph) but is smart and mixes things up pretty good.

Adenhart and Inman are hardly top 25 prospect :-?

Adenhart was headed up the list until his recent slump...Inman could be there in the future...but yeeah, not now...
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Noggy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:16 am

Brian Cashman confirmed on the radio earlier today that Kennedy has been promoted to AA Trenton.

I agree with PlayingWithFire that it's hard to take when he's done in Tampa seriously since he's a college pitcher in High A ball. He should be putting up big numbers. And the Florida State league is a pitchers league to boot.

I think Kennedy will fly under the radar even if he keeps putting up good numbers at every level. I remember reading that he would have been a top 10 draft pick after his sophomore year, but it seems like any buzz that Kennedy had was killed last year by his disappointing junior year in which his velocity was down (even though it's back up this year).
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:46 am

Noggy wrote:Brian Cashman confirmed on the radio earlier today that Kennedy has been promoted to AA Trenton.

I agree with PlayingWithFire that it's hard to take when he's done in Tampa seriously since he's a college pitcher in High A ball. He should be putting up big numbers. And the Florida State league is a pitchers league to boot.

I think Kennedy will fly under the radar even if he keeps putting up good numbers at every level. I remember reading that he would have been a top 10 draft pick after his sophomore year, but it seems like any buzz that Kennedy had was killed last year by his disappointing junior year in which his velocity was down (even though it's back up this year).

I generally dislike pitching prospects in the AL East for a reason. While they play in the same league as AL West, NL West pitchers in the minors. They need to play the Jays, the Red Sox, the Yankees, the Rays and the Orioles when they get to the majors instead of....the Mariners....or the Astros. That's why I said I'd rather have Tim Lincecum's first 6 pro year than Hughes fantasy wise. I'm starting to doubt that, Hughes looks really special(but again, Kazmir is special and it took some time for him to break in)
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Minor League & College Baseball