Holy crap, a huge terrorist plot broken up by govt - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Holy crap, a huge terrorist plot broken up by govt

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Fireball Express » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:10 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Amazinz wrote:That's a list of domestic terrorism. I think that's a bit of misdirection as far as the spirit brewcrew4you's post is concerned. Regardless, if that list is the worst of it I am even more impressed. At the risk of sounding callous, those events and the potential damage are fairly minor in the grand scheme of things.

I agree. That said, I don't think that we should give the government credit for doing what they should have been doing all along. 9/11 could have been avoided much like this event. It wasn't. While I applaud them for doing their jobs, I can't help but think that they should have been doing their jobs on 9/11. I say this believing that Michael Moore is quite possibly the biggest tool on the planet so that no one comes here and plays the Moore card. :-°

As for my original statement, a Chris Rock routine asking if someone wants a cookie comes to mind.

The problem before 9/11 was the fact that terrorists were considered criminals and not enemies of the state. The military had their reservations about getting involved. At least that was part of the problem. I'm sure it's more than that.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fireball Express » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:16 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Furthermore, the idea that there haven't been any other terrorist attacks since 9/11 is silly.

First, there were the anthrax attacks. Did you forget those?

July 4, 2005: A clinic Palm Beach, Florida was the target of an arson.
December 12, 2005: Patricia Hughes and Jeremy Dunahoe threw a Molotov cocktail at a clinic in Shreveport, Louisiana. The device missed the building and no damage was caused. In August 2006, Hughes was sentenced to six years in prison, and Dunahoe to one year.
April 25, 2007: A package left at a women's health clinic in Austin, Texas contained an explosive device capable of inflicting serious injury or death. A bomb squad detonated the device. [13]
May 9, 2007 An unidentified person deliberately set fire to a Planned Parenthood clinic in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

These are the ones I could find in 2 minutes of searching. I'm sure we could find others with a bit more time...

I guess me being attacted by bottle throwing pro-choicers at an anti-abortion demonstration could be considerd a terror attack as well.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:17 pm

Fireball Express wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:Furthermore, the idea that there haven't been any other terrorist attacks since 9/11 is silly.

December 12, 2005: Patricia Hughes and Jeremy Dunahoe threw a Molotov cocktail at a clinic in Shreveport, Louisiana. The device missed the building and no damage was caused. In August 2006, Hughes was sentenced to six years in prison, and Dunahoe to one year.
April 25, 2007: A package left at a women's health clinic in Austin, Texas contained an explosive device capable of inflicting serious injury or death. A bomb squad detonated the device. [13]
May 9, 2007 An unidentified person deliberately set fire to a Planned Parenthood clinic in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

These are the ones I could find in 2 minutes of searching. I'm sure we could find others with a bit more time...

I guess me being attacted by bottle throwing pro-choicers at an anti-abortion demonstration could be considerd a terror attack as well.

A drunk dude once threw a bottle at me at a college party. I wouldn't exactly call him a terrorist, but it wasn't cool.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Fireball Express » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:27 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Fireball Express wrote:

A drunk dude once threw a bottle at me at a college party. I wouldn't exactly call him a terrorist, but it wasn't cool.

Did anyone bomb the frat house?
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:37 pm

Fireball Express wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Fireball Express wrote:

Yeah, if by "bomb" you mean "fart"
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:38 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Fireball Express wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Fireball Express wrote:

Yeah, if by "bomb" you mean "fart"

That was at least deserving of an upper-decker.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby tuff_gong » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:08 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
Tavish wrote:
brewcrew4you wrote:For all of Bush's faults, I think it is telling that there have been 0, 0 terrorist attacks on our soil since 9/11.

What do you consider a terrorist attack?

how about paying over $3.00 for a gallon of gasoline ;-7 ?

no joke, lets fight the war on gas prices.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby koolhalfski » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:54 pm

Thank God they caught these guys.I live 5 minutes from J.F.K.
HEY NOW!
koolhalfski
College Coach
College Coach

Postby brewcrew4you » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:01 pm

While it is impossible to stop isolated incidents from occuring, the prevention of major plots is what I'm referring to.

I would love if there was never anything bad that happend on our soil, but any nutjob can do something awful individually. It is our government's job to prevent those actions that take the cooperation of multiple individuals, and this latest thwarted plot in as excellent example of that.

I wouldn't mind cheaper gas, either... We should attack some oil producing nation and steal their fossil fuels ;-D
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JTWood » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:33 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
Homeland Security sources said there is no current threat at the airport and the attack as planned was "not technically feasible."

Reading over the reports of this alleged JFK terror plot, I again feel the odd sense of dissonance and contradiction one always gets reading the initial reports of these alleged terror plots. The whole concept of this attack basically doesn't make sense -- in the sense that you could get the sort of chain reaction some folks on tv are talking about. And, indeed, this key fact is tepidly noted in the coverage itself, where DHS officials concede that the plot "was not technically feasible."

The relevant information from this report at CNN suggests that the key plotter, Russell Defreitas, is not a bright man.

I'm going to agree with this assessment. I get the distinct impression that this story has more style than substance. It's almost like someone decided that we needed a feather to tuck in our cap, and the quality of the feather didn't matter.

I mean, if it's so easy to blow up that much fuel, we need to look into securing that facility and fuel line further because mother nature and dumb Americans frighten me much more than almost any non-nuclear terror plot.

Finally, and most importantly, if this was such a big threat, why not wait until these guys get some serious funding/armaments and take down the guys that could financially and practically support an attack of this magnitude? Isn't that what we do with drug dealers? Wouldn't that do more to protect this country?

The whole thing smacks of self-serving lip service by Homeland Security.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk