Holy crap, a huge terrorist plot broken up by govt - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Holy crap, a huge terrorist plot broken up by govt

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigken117 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:27 am

Fireball Express wrote:Jan. 25, 1993, shooting at an intersection near CIA headquarters by Mir Aimal Kansi killing 2 people. The man was able to purchase an AK-47 and flee the country after the attack. Two things that wouldn't be permitted today. Though it wasn't on the same grand scale of 9/11 it is considered an act of terror.

He was a fanatic, but it was one person acting alone. He wasn't working with any organization on his attack.

Fireball Express wrote:Even though it wasn't carried out by muslim nut jobs the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City on April 19, 1995 is considered a terrorist attack.

You could also call the Unabomber a terrorist too. And the bombing at the Atlanta Olympics etc. They're not what I'm talking about.

:-X :-X

I'm not going to get sucked into some drawn out political argument that goes nowhere and gains nothing except maybe a few yellow cards. Good job by law enforcement breaking up this plotted attack.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:45 am

brewcrew4you wrote:For all of Bush's faults, I think it is telling that there have been 0, 0 terrorist attacks on our soil since 9/11.

Would have been nice if it was 0 including 9/11.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby thecrownjewels » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:37 am

Yep rank the presidents. GW2=40
thecrownjewels
College Coach
College Coach

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:53 am

Homeland Security sources said there is no current threat at the airport and the attack as planned was "not technically feasible."

Reading over the reports of this alleged JFK terror plot, I again feel the odd sense of dissonance and contradiction one always gets reading the initial reports of these alleged terror plots. The whole concept of this attack basically doesn't make sense -- in the sense that you could get the sort of chain reaction some folks on tv are talking about. And, indeed, this key fact is tepidly noted in the coverage itself, where DHS officials concede that the plot "was not technically feasible."

The relevant information from this report at CNN suggests that the key plotter, Russell Defreitas, is not a bright man.
Last edited by Absolutely Adequate on Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:54 am

sorry - odd double post
Last edited by Absolutely Adequate on Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:07 pm

Furthermore, the idea that there haven't been any other terrorist attacks since 9/11 is silly.

First, there were the anthrax attacks. Did you forget those?

July 4, 2005: A clinic Palm Beach, Florida was the target of an arson.
December 12, 2005: Patricia Hughes and Jeremy Dunahoe threw a Molotov cocktail at a clinic in Shreveport, Louisiana. The device missed the building and no damage was caused. In August 2006, Hughes was sentenced to six years in prison, and Dunahoe to one year.
April 25, 2007: A package left at a women's health clinic in Austin, Texas contained an explosive device capable of inflicting serious injury or death. A bomb squad detonated the device. [13]
May 9, 2007 An unidentified person deliberately set fire to a Planned Parenthood clinic in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

These are the ones I could find in 2 minutes of searching. I'm sure we could find others with a bit more time...
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:37 pm

I think that BK is only counting those that were carried out by someone named Mohammad. ;-7 :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:42 pm

That's a list of domestic terrorism. I think that's a bit of misdirection as far as the spirit brewcrew4you's post is concerned. Regardless, if that list is the worst of it I am even more impressed. At the risk of sounding callous, those events and the potential damage are fairly minor in the grand scheme of things.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:49 pm

Amazinz wrote:That's a list of domestic terrorism. I think that's a bit of misdirection as far as the spirit brewcrew4you's post is concerned. Regardless, if that list is the worst of it I am even more impressed. At the risk of sounding callous, those events and the potential damage are fairly minor in the grand scheme of things.

I agree. That said, I don't think that we should give the government credit for doing what they should have been doing all along. 9/11 could have been avoided much like this event. It wasn't. While I applaud them for doing their jobs, I can't help but think that they should have been doing their jobs on 9/11. I say this believing that Michael Moore is quite possibly the biggest tool on the planet so that no one comes here and plays the Moore card. :-°

As for my original statement, a Chris Rock routine asking if someone wants a cookie comes to mind.
Lofunzo

Postby Coppermine » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:09 pm

Wow, Guyana and Trinidad? Time to expand the war on terror :-/
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk