Batted Ball Statistics... Some Questions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Batted Ball Statistics... Some Questions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Batted Ball Statistics... Some Questions

Postby psycho1jau » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:25 pm

So, I've been looking over some sleeper pitchers, some guys who I have questions on about how flukey they are, and I am trying to analyze their stats. The thing I'm wondering is, how much does a pitcher have over his batted ball statistics. For example, how much does a pitcher control his HR/FB%? I know that a lot of the influence on HR/9 is GB/FB ratio, but does a pitcher have control over his HR/FB as well? If a guy has a really low HR/FB%, say 5%, does this cause concern that he will regress to more like 9-10%. Also, does a pitcher have control over LD%? I know that pitchers can control their GB% and FB%, but what about LD%. If he has a low LD%, does that mean that it will regress, and if he has a high LD%, does that mean it will go back to average?

If you guys know any information, or know some articles where I can read up on it, that'd be great.
psycho1jau
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fantasybaseballfan1 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:28 pm

HR/F is a constant at around 11 percent so like Jake Peavy is giving up too few HRs. Ballpark has an effect on HR/F. A pitcher has an effect on his LD rate. Generally the bet†er pitchers in sabermetrics are the ones who strikeout a lot of guys and also get a lot of groundouts.
fantasybaseballfan1
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers