Manny Sig (Opinions?) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Contests and Showing Off

Manny Sig (Opinions?)

Moderators: deluxe_247, kimchi_chigae, Mookie4ever, Baseball Moderators

Manny Sig (Opinions?)

Postby soty » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:37 pm

Well this is the 2nd sig I make for myself using gimp....what do you guys think getting better?

FYI: my sig before was the Morneau sig.
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:44 pm

Very nice for your 2nd sig. ;-D

Some stuff I would mention is to work on the backgrounds. Just try and add some textures or something, maybe some stock photos. I personally like the color to be related to the player in the picture (so red or blue in this case) but that's preference. Text looks pretty good for your 2nd time too. Not too simple but not over the top with effects.

Mainly, just keep making sigs and trying new things. ;-D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DSheppard » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:21 pm

im not loving the font choice but other than that it looks good to me, nice job.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:43 pm

i think thats the best 2nd sig ive sig. you're progressing nicely and already have the basics down. you must have some background in graphic design or something, right?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby soty » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:04 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:i think thats the best 2nd sig ive sig. you're progressing nicely and already have the basics down. you must have some background in graphic design or something, right?
Just PhotoDeluxe 2.0 (which is ancient), other than that no.
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Postby richwyld » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:16 am

i say the same thing work on text and bg,But great llok to the sig in all
richwyld
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby soty » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:38 am

richwyld wrote:i say the same thing work on text and bg,But great llok to the sig in all
I'm not sure how to change the text and the background. Any quick ideas or hints you guys can give me on them? Thanks.
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:30 am

well bg can go so many different ways. you can throw a pic of a stadium in there, some stock pics, or multiple pictures of jerseys, logos, other pics, etc... theres no ONE good background. its up to you and what looks good. for example the bg in my picture is really the picture of magglio

i brushed over it with a white brush on overlay to brighten up the sig and had an orange gradient on the bottom. added some lighting to magglio and voila. very simple, but looks clean and nice.

text is still very difficult and like i said before, the difference between a good sig and a contest award winning sig. watch some tutorials, DL some new fonts, and keep messing with all the different settings. you'll find a style you'll feel comfortable working with and run with it ;-D

hope i can help.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Danger » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:31 am

Off topic but MAN, I didn't know there were that many muscles in the forearm. 8-o
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

Postby soty » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:52 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:well bg can go so many different ways. you can throw a pic of a stadium in there, some stock pics, or multiple pictures of jerseys, logos, other pics, etc... theres no ONE good background. its up to you and what looks good. for example the bg in my picture is really the picture of magglio

i brushed over it with a white brush on overlay to brighten up the sig and had an orange gradient on the bottom. added some lighting to magglio and voila. very simple, but looks clean and nice.

text is still very difficult and like i said before, the difference between a good sig and a contest award winning sig. watch some tutorials, DL some new fonts, and keep messing with all the different settings. you'll find a style you'll feel comfortable working with and run with it ;-D

hope i can help.
What is a stock pic? I would like to put other pics in the back ground along with the main pic, but it looks weird with all the pics the same. It seems like they are just floating above the background. I can do that if I knew how to blend them in or fade them.

I love your sig btw. Nothing too flashy, but very well put together. What do you mean by "you brushed over it with a white brush on overlay to brighten up the sig?" I thought the brush was just to add things in, I didnt know it could brighten things. Wow do I have a lot to learn.

As for the text, I did check out some text from dafonts. Actually the one from my Manny sig is from that site. I guess I will have to just keep adding more and more to change things up.

Sorry for all the questions, but you seem to know what you are doing/ talking about and I am willing to listen/ learn. Thanks for all the help so far, hope I can do you proud on a background. I will work on another background and get back to ya. Thanks again. ;-D
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Next

Return to Contests and Showing Off