who are some young stud pitchers waiting to be called up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

who are some young stud pitchers waiting to be called up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:06 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:
YardBirds wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:every seems to be forgetting about Sonnanstine. He was already mentioned but i'm surprised more people didn't. At this point hes being brought up tuesday last i heard. He doesn't have the "stuff" that bailey or Gallardo have but all the reports are that the kid flat out knows how to pitch. Given the fact that he has a rotation spot as of this point and Bailey and Gallardo do not, I honestly would not be surprised if Sonnanstine has a better year than those two...

Zach Greinke flat out knows how to pitch too.... but I will be watching Sonnastine closely.

How do you make that argument. Greinke is a choke artist.

Niemann wont see the majors this year

:-?

How do you "choke" on a perenial 100 loss team?

Plus, what makes you think Sonnanstine won't be a choke artist!? :-?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:11 pm

According to MLB.com Bailey might make his debut next Saturday.

Link

Notes: Bailey could be in Majors soon
Top prospect's Reds debut might come next Saturday
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

DENVER -- Top pitching prospect Homer Bailey's start on Saturday could very well be his final one for Triple-A Louisville.

By next week, Bailey seems likely to finally stand on a Major League mound debuting in a Reds uniform.

"It might be bigger than bobblehead night," Reds manager Jerry Narron joked.

The dominoes to promote Bailey began to fall into place on Saturday when Cincinnati optioned starter Bobby Livingston to Louisville and recalled reliever Marcus McBeth. On Friday, Livingston gave the Reds a solid, 6 2/3-innings spot start in a 4-2 win over the Rockies.

"He did a great job for us," Narron said of Livingston. "I'm sure if we need somebody again, he'll be highly considered."

Because of Monday's off-day, the Reds won't need a fifth starter again until next Saturday against the Indians. But it can't be Livingston. Unless there's an injury, rules state that a player optioned out must wait 10 days before he can be recalled. There was no consideration, Narron said, of using Livingston as a long reliever in the bullpen this week.

"So start checking your board to see who's rested next Saturday," Narron coyly told an assembled group of writers.

With veteran left-hander Eric Milton (left elbow) nowhere close to coming off the disabled list, there are three leading candidates.

"[Victor] Santos, [Phil] Dumatrait and Homer Bailey," Narron said.

Santos, a long reliever and former starter, is the lone option on the big-league roster. The right-hander is 1-0 with a 4.45 ERA in 20 relief appearances. His chances to start would be diminished if he's needed to pitch from the bullpen in the next few days.

Dumatrait is 5-4 with a 3.79 ERA in 11 starts. However, the left-hander is 0-3 with an 8.80 ERA over his last three starts. On Thursday vs. Charlotte, he allowed six earned runs and 12 hits over 4 1/3 innings.

That leaves Bailey, the Reds' first-round draft pick in 2004, who has dominated at every Minor League level. The 21-year-old entered Saturday's start at Durham with a 5-1 record and 1.89 ERA in nine starts. He had walked 21 and struck out 43. But Bailey struggled some in Saturday's start, allowing four earned runs on seven hits and three walks over six innings. He struck out eight batters. The performance upped his season ERA to 2.31.

The organization has been deliberate with Bailey's development to this point. After he was roughed up in Spring Training, he was instructed to use his off-speed stuff more and not rely as much on his mid-to-high 90s fastball.

The Reds have Thursday's starter at St. Louis listed as "TBA," but it would normally be Kyle Lohse's turn since he started vs. Colorado on Saturday. Of course, that assignment would also give Bailey his normal four days rest to pitch as well. But chances are the Reds wouldn't mind the extra ticket sales a Bailey home debut would provide.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Timosha » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:14 pm

MMoNeY24 wrote:Hurley
Elbert
Niemann
Humber

First 3 have been pitching well..especially Hurley. Humber hasn't been great, but I don't think Jorge Sosa will keep it up for the Mets.

Sosa has made a lot of adjustments this year. He may continue to surprise a lot of people.
Timosha
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jake_harv88 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:29 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:
YardBirds wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:every seems to be forgetting about Sonnanstine. He was already mentioned but i'm surprised more people didn't. At this point hes being brought up tuesday last i heard. He doesn't have the "stuff" that bailey or Gallardo have but all the reports are that the kid flat out knows how to pitch. Given the fact that he has a rotation spot as of this point and Bailey and Gallardo do not, I honestly would not be surprised if Sonnanstine has a better year than those two...

Zach Greinke flat out knows how to pitch too.... but I will be watching Sonnastine closely.

Greinke shows all this potential but then has these absolutely terrible outtings where he gives up 5 or 6 runs (or 4 in .2 IP). Sounds like a choke artist to me.

I never said Sonnanstine wouldn't be a choke artist. I just said that I wouldn't compare sonnanstine to greinke if we have never seen sonnanstine pitch in the majors. The thread was about young stud pitchers so I threw out the name Sonnanstine. He officially has a rotation spot and from all the reports i've read he really knows how to use his pitches effectively. I believe deeray compared him to Greg maddux. Thats good enough for me ;-D
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:58 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:
YardBirds wrote:

Greinke shows all this potential but then has these absolutely terrible outtings where he gives up 5 or 6 runs (or 4 in .2 IP). Sounds like a choke artist to me.

I never said Sonnanstine wouldn't be a choke artist. I just said that I wouldn't compare sonnanstine to greinke if we have never seen sonnanstine pitch in the majors. The thread was about young stud pitchers so I threw out the name Sonnanstine. He officially has a rotation spot and from all the reports i've read he really knows how to use his pitches effectively. I believe deeray compared him to Greg maddux. Thats good enough for me ;-D

What's wrong with comparing Sonnanstine with Greinke? They are SIMILAR pitchers in terms of stuff and approach.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:59 pm

Timosha wrote:
MMoNeY24 wrote:Hurley
Elbert
Niemann
Humber

First 3 have been pitching well..especially Hurley. Humber hasn't been great, but I don't think Jorge Sosa will keep it up for the Mets.

Sosa has made a lot of adjustments this year. He may continue to surprise a lot of people.

No way Elbert will be an impact fantasy wise this year. No way...
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby pdidddy10 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:55 am

would it be better to take a chance on bailey or sonnanstine than to hang on to noah lowry(or maybe scott olson)? I have been wanting to drop him but his numbers have been too good.
pdidddy10
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby nsulham » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:36 am

Do not forget Jon Lester.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby zhutou » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:45 am

i like lester better than anyone else mentioned in this thread.
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers