Dustin Pedroia: the real deal? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Dustin Pedroia: the real deal?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dustin Pedroia: the real deal?

Postby coldfusion » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:46 pm

Is this kid for real? Hits .417 in May, and continues his hot hitting into the first couple days of June. Is he what Dan Uggla and Ian Kinsler were last year? I just picked him up and couldnt be happier. Thoughts?
coldfusion
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby byfrcp » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:50 pm

Empty Average
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Big Train » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:53 pm

Empty average indeed, but that might change soon. Today he's hitting in the two-hole in front of Papi and Manny. The stats people note that he has a tremendous eye and contact rate. He only struck out twice in the month of May. As much as I liked the extra ding-dongs and RBI's from Khalil Greene, watching him go 0/4 all the time grew tiresome. Sometimes the hits and average are all you can get from a player like Perdroia. I'll take that if I can get it, expecially in a 16-team league. He's probably a legit top of the order, .300+ hitter, but I doubt he flashes any power like Uggla and Kinsler have done.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby converge241 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:47 pm

He is Eckstein with less SB
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Timosha » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:41 pm

The Big Train wrote:He's probably a legit top of the order, .300+ hitter, but I doubt he flashes any power like Uggla and Kinsler have done.

That's best-case scenario I feel. His minor league stats were fairly mediocre...aside from the lack of power, his average was decent but not great. Boston was sold on him for his defense above all.
Timosha
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Big Train » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:16 am

converge241 wrote:He is Eckstein with less SB

The Red Sox drafted Eckstein in the 19th round. The Red Sox made Pedroia their first overall pick in 2004. Somehow I doubt that they would make Pedroia their first pick if they thought he would turn out to be another Eckstein. Perhaps the comparison will turn out to be true over the long run, but Pedroia should easily surpass Eckstein's career line so far (.280/.350/.358). And his minor league totals are anything but mediocre. In three minor league seasons: .308/.392/.454. In 1040 minor league AB, he struck out just 77 times. He seems to possess a truly great eye.

Prior to that he played college ball where he was a three-time All-Pac-10 selection, the 2003 Pac-10 co-Player of the Year, the 2003 National Defensive Player of the Year, and one of five finalists for the 2004 Golden Spikes Award.

He's surely not likely to be a top fantasy producer, but in large leagues I think it's likely he could turn out to be a soild contributor who will be steadier on a regular basis the way a player like Khalil Greene isn't. For what it's worth, Shandler and co. have been very positive about him.

Recent article: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... mpetition/
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:17 am

He'll give the Sox great defense and great average at the plate. Not much else, but that's a good 2B. Maybe not what most fantasy owners would want....
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby converge241 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:32 am

The Big Train wrote:
converge241 wrote:He is Eckstein with less SB

The Red Sox drafted Eckstein in the 19th round. The Red Sox made Pedroia their first overall pick in 2004. Somehow I doubt that they would make Pedroia their first pick if they thought he would turn out to be another Eckstein. Perhaps the comparison will turn out to be true over the long run, but Pedroia should easily surpass Eckstein's career line so far (.280/.350/.358). And his minor league totals are anything but mediocre. In three minor league seasons: .308/.392/.454. In 1040 minor league AB, he struck out just 77 times. He seems to possess a truly great eye.

Prior to that he played college ball where he was a three-time All-Pac-10 selection, the 2003 Pac-10 co-Player of the Year, the 2003 National Defensive Player of the Year, and one of five finalists for the 2004 Golden Spikes Award.

He's surely not likely to be a top fantasy producer, but in large leagues I think it's likely he could turn out to be a soild contributor who will be steadier on a regular basis the way a player like Khalil Greene isn't. For what it's worth, Shandler and co. have been very positive about him.

Recent article: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... mpetition/

draft position means nothing especially in baseball where top picks can disapear and unheralded players can rise

we are just talking about pedroia's FANTASY value here

eckstein has been used the same way the past few years in fantasy: solid contributor in larger leagues except eckstein offers some more SB
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby denicola_dominates » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:13 pm

i think his hot hitting will end after the sumer but owners may tget a lot of use from his hott average :-D :-D
"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical." -Yogi Berra

denicola_dominates
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SendHelp » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:49 pm

polanco light
SendHelp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next