2 months in, how about some ROY talk. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2 months in, how about some ROY talk.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby King Tim » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:26 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:
King Tim wrote:Hunter Pence in the NL and it won't be close in the end


I disagree.


Timmy will have a decent/good year, but Hamilton??

Pence, 24 and as big league ready as any prospect, has killed the ball at every level.........and thus far is making the majors look easy as well.
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 695
Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Vegas

Postby jswede » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:27 pm

King Tim wrote:Hunter Pence in the NL and it won't be close in the end


Excellent call. Still like Hamilton, but Pence looks like a perennial all-star through 120 ABs: .360 / 4 / 20 / 15 / 4

and he just moved up to 2nd in line-up - I see improvement in runs and steals coming.
Last edited by jswede on Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 702
Joined: 15 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Chicago

Postby Mr. Smithers » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:28 pm

rjforlife wrote:
J.C.Fighter wrote:Kelly Johnson is not a rookie

AL- Dice-K
NL- Josh Hamilton / Lincecum



didnt see the 05 sorry.


and smithers:

if dice-K wins 15 games he will most certainly win the ROY. id like to see the list of how many rookies have won 15 games and how many of them didnt win the ROY


I agree he will win ROY if he wins 15 or more, I just don't think he should because his win total is inflated because of run support and who he plays for.

To me wins are an overated catergory for pitchers, quality starts tells me more.
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer.
Ted Williams
Mr. Smithers
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 234
Joined: 24 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rjforlife » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:45 pm

Mr. Smithers wrote:
rjforlife wrote:
J.C.Fighter wrote:Kelly Johnson is not a rookie

AL- Dice-K
NL- Josh Hamilton / Lincecum



didnt see the 05 sorry.


and smithers:

if dice-K wins 15 games he will most certainly win the ROY. id like to see the list of how many rookies have won 15 games and how many of them didnt win the ROY


I agree he will win ROY if he wins 15 or more, I just don't think he should because his win total is inflated because of run support and who he plays for.

To me wins are an overated catergory for pitchers, quality starts tells me more.



i fully agree. the problem is the voters dont see it our way, just look at cy young voting.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7509
(Past Year: 740)
Joined: 25 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Vegas Baby

Postby wrveres » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:59 pm

and since we still have four months to go, I am going to toss a sleeper out there ....

Kouzmanoff!
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 692)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:27 pm

rjforlife wrote:if dice-K wins 15 games he will most certainly win the ROY. id like to see the list of how many rookies have won 15 games and how many of them didnt win the ROY



Here is the last 30 or so years.

Winners-
Verlander with 17 in 2006
Jason Jennings with 16 in 2002
Dwight Gooden with 17 in 1984
Rick Sutcliffe with 17 in 1979
Mark Fidrych with 19 in 1976
John Montefusco with 15 in 1975

Losers -
Jeriome Robertson with 15 in 2003
Rodrigo Lopez with 15 in 2002
CC Sabbathia with 17 in 2001
Freddy Garcia with 17 in 1999
Dave Fleming with 17 in 1992
Tom Gordon with 17 in 1989
Teddy Higuera with 15 in 1985
Tom Browning with 20 in 1985
Mark Langston with 17 in 1984
Mike Boddicker with 16 in 1983
Craig McMurtry with 15 in 1983
Brit Burns with 15 in 1980
Dave Rozema with 15 in 1977
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11070
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rjforlife » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:01 pm

Tavish wrote:
rjforlife wrote:if dice-K wins 15 games he will most certainly win the ROY. id like to see the list of how many rookies have won 15 games and how many of them didnt win the ROY



Here is the last 30 or so years.

Winners-
Verlander with 17 in 2006
Jason Jennings with 16 in 2002
Dwight Gooden with 17 in 1984
Rick Sutcliffe with 17 in 1979
Mark Fidrych with 19 in 1976
John Montefusco with 15 in 1975

Losers -
Jeriome Robertson with 15 in 2003
Rodrigo Lopez with 15 in 2002
CC Sabbathia with 17 in 2001
Freddy Garcia with 17 in 1999
Dave Fleming with 17 in 1992
Tom Gordon with 17 in 1989
Teddy Higuera with 15 in 1985
Tom Browning with 20 in 1985
Mark Langston with 17 in 1984
Mike Boddicker with 16 in 1983
Craig McMurtry with 15 in 1983
Brit Burns with 15 in 1980
Dave Rozema with 15 in 1977



21 wins and hes a lock. :-°


anyways...i am surprised to see that many losers with 15+ but i guess this year there is such a lack of rookies to bust out so far he looks like gold. still a lot of season and plenty of guys to call up and steal this from him. hopefully someone does...
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7509
(Past Year: 740)
Joined: 25 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Vegas Baby

Postby San D » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:30 pm

Dustin Pedroia could steal some Red Sox friendly votes from Dice-K and give someone else a shot in the AL.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1499
Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact