Students lose diplomas due to excessive cheering - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Students lose diplomas due to excessive cheering

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby josebach » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:22 am

TheRock wrote:
josebach wrote:
stevethumb wrote:what's next ? no weeping at funeral homes ?!! :-t

Huh? That doesn't make any sense. Celebrating is done at the end when the announcer presents the class, not after every graduate is announced. Graduation services have always worked this way, haven't they? :-?

Must be a fairly new development, I've never seen one work that way.

It was actually a rhetorical question. No, it's not a new development. Obviously there's some brief clapping and cheering as each student gets their diploma, but this obviously isn't what they're talking about. They're talking about a full scale celebration which is meant for the end of the ceremony when the announcer pronounces the class and everybody throws their caps into the air. Making the administration out to be the bad guy is pretty stupid without hearing how loud the families actually got. In previous graduations, the cheering became so loud that fights broke out and the school was simply trying to avoid this. Didn't the kids and parents all know the repercussion of cheering too loudly before the ceremony? It's not like they hid it from them.

I'll stick by my original opinion that until I actually hear how loud everybody was cheering and how out of control it got, I'll reserve judgement.

Oh, and the school is not saying the students can't get their diplomas. They just have to serve a punishment. Did the student actually do anything wrong? Well, that depends if they made sure everybody they invited to the ceremony knew the rules about celebrating. If they did do this, than the only people the student should be mad at are the people who broke the rules, not the school. It seems to me the school had to take some action to put a stop to it and this is the solution they came up with.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ironman » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:13 am

This is just stupid. Does the school realize how idiotic they're appearing to be?

I can't believe they would have the right to withhold someone's diploma just for that. Seems a bit shady to me. I'm surprised no one is taking them to court. It is Illinois after all...
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:25 am

ironman wrote:I'm surprised no one is taking them to court. It is Illinois after all...

As a former resident of Madison County (aka Lawsuit Capital of the US), I agree.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Previous

Return to General Talk