Students lose diplomas due to excessive cheering - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Students lose diplomas due to excessive cheering

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby theclefe » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:06 pm

INJUSTICE!!!

Congrats. You killed my hippy spirit. I was really excited to protest too, but I guess you are right. It is pretty minor. To be honest, I don't know why I got so riled up about it. I would ussually be on the other side on something like this. Maybe I'm just a softy for air horns.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby theclefe » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:10 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:Last thing we need is for the like of Jesse Jackson to get into this, which could happen....anytime now.

Sadly enough, the bottom of the article said in passing that some think the incident is racially motivated, but I wanted to stay away from that part. Thats when they lose me. I'll fight about shouting, but that other stuff is quicksand here. ;-7
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:11 pm

theclefe wrote:INJUSTICE!!!

Congrats. You killed my hippy spirit. I was really excited to protest too, but I guess you are right. It is pretty minor. To be honest, I don't know why I got so riled up about it. I would ussually be on the other side on something like this. Maybe I'm just a softy for air horns.

Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:13 pm

theclefe wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:Last thing we need is for the like of Jesse Jackson to get into this, which could happen....anytime now.

Sadly enough, the bottom of the article said in passing that some think the incident is racially motivated, but I wanted to stay away from that part. Thats when they lose me. I'll fight about shouting, but that other stuff is quicksand here. ;-7

Unfortunately, a lot of things can get "racial" depend on the party involved even though they shouldn't in this country. I just argued with somebody the other week that the Barry Bonds controversy is not about race...that was painful
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheRock » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:13 pm

Sounds like a bunch of school administrators that are bitter that they couldn't get real jobs. O:-)

I agree, you do need to pick your battles, but I would pick this one. It's a gross injustice by overbearing officials on innocent kids. To me, requiring people not cheer for their child or friend when they walk across stage to pick up their diploma is pretty silly to begin with. But then to withhold something they've spent several years working for and fully deserve is completely over the top. No way I would lay down for this one.

But who really cares? They still graduated and get credit for that, they can still apply to college, get a job, join the military, whatever, the only thing they're lacking is the goofy piece of paper signed by some old guys. Anyone ever even look at those things though? I think you normally have your mom take your picture with it then chuck it in a drawer. Maybe I'd make a point of making a ruckus at graduation just because they can keep my stupid diploma.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:20 pm

My high school did a similar thing when I graduated in 93. I think my graduating class ended up with 5 or 6 people not getting their diplomas for a few days instead of right after walking across the stage. A few of those students and their parents were upset, but the school had sent home several papers making sure there were not any disruptions while the names were being called. Our punishment was writing a one page paper on why there should not be any disturbances during graduation. That is not quite as bad as 8 hours of community service, but 8 hours is not that bad by itself either.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby theclefe » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:20 pm

They were already forced to miss their overnight graduation party thing. That may not seem like much, but I know guys who got laid during that event. Missing out on potential action and "junk" blocking by school officials is far worse than not getting a diploma. ;-7
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:31 pm

theclefe wrote:Maybe I'm just a softy for air horns.

:-D

TheRock wrote:To me, requiring people not cheer for their child or friend when they walk across stage to pick up their diploma is pretty silly to begin with.

I don't think it's simply cheering they were after. It was obnoxious cheering that infringes on the enjoyment of the other guests.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:45 pm

Amazinz wrote:
theclefe wrote:Maybe I'm just a softy for air horns.

:-D

TheRock wrote:To me, requiring people not cheer for their child or friend when they walk across stage to pick up their diploma is pretty silly to begin with.

I don't think it's simply cheering they were after. It was obnoxious cheering that infringes on the enjoyment of the other guests.

Exactly, I would be pissed if I couldn't hear my kid's name being called because the family of the kid before mine was being obnoxious and inconsiderate. As I said before, without having heard how rowdy it got, I can't say one way or the other if the school is wrong. It sounds to me like they took a lot of preventivie measures to ensure this doesn't happen including having the family members of those invited to graduation sign a waiver.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:08 pm

theclefe wrote:They were already forced to miss their overnight graduation party thing. That may not seem like much, but I know guys who got laid during that event. Missing out on potential action and "junk" blocking by school officials is far worse than not getting a diploma. ;-7

Speaking from experience? :-D
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk