Corey Hart - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Corey Hart

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Corey Hart

Postby Scooter1027 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:19 am

It appears that after a slow start, inconsistent playing time, and a wrist injury, Hart is becoming relevant again. With Weeks on the DL, Yost has played Hart in the leadoff spot for the past several days against both righties and lefties, bucking his previous platoon trend. His numbers over the past five games:

9/19 (.474), 4 R, 2 2B, 2 SB, 1 RBI, 2 BB/1 K

It appears that he's settled in as the leadoff guy (for now anyway). That could be a valuable slot with good run and SB totals (7-for-7 on SB attempts on the year) hitting in front of Hardy/Braun/Fielder. Just a thought for those who may have still clung to him after his early troubles.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Y`s Guy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:25 am

Is this temporary? I haven't read too much yet on him recently and wonder if I accept him in a trade will he platoon again.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby sansav » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:09 pm

Every indication is that he is going to get FT playing time - Yost knows his potential and wants him in the line-up. I think he can be a pretty valuable player this year
sansav
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Scooter1027 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:Is this temporary? I haven't read too much yet on him recently and wonder if I accept him in a trade will he platoon again.

I can't guarantee it, because Yost has been unpredictable to say the least. But this little excerpt has me believing he'll be the everyday leadoff hitter until Weeks is back at the very least:

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070601&content_id=1999227&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

"Ride the hot hand: With Weeks sidelined, Yost said he plans to stick with outfielder Corey Hart as the right fielder and leadoff man for the foreseeable future, asking, "What other options do we have?"

What about Tony Gwynn Jr.? He entered Friday's game batting .333, including .354 in his 12 starts and profiles more as a table-setter than Hart, who has speed but was a run-producer throughout his Minor League career.

"I've got Corey Hart playing, and the last time I checked, you can only play nine guys," said Yost. "I'm playing Corey Hart right now.

"Corey's been our guy from last year on, the guy that we wanted to get at-bats. He did great last year, proved himself, and coming into Spring Training, our idea was for him to be in the [right field] mix and probably get the majority of at-bats."

That plan changed, according to Yost, when Kevin Mench started the season extremely hot. Just as Mench cooled, Hart sprained his right wrist running the bases, an ailment that only recently has subsided.

Now healthy, Hart started each of the four games before Friday and hit safely in all four, going 8-for-15 over that span to raise his season average to .298. Batting leadoff, he said he shortens his swing and tries to be more selective at the plate.

"It doesn't bother me," Hart said. "I got used to it last year."
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby wrveres » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:46 pm

I still don't trust Yost to play him regularly.
He has 6 outfielders on the roster, and has to find playing time for all of them.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:47 pm

I'm with you wrveres, I keep wanting to pull the trigger to pick up Hart but the OF glut in Milwaukee is keeping me away. I think Hart would have to string together a few very solid games to stay on as a regular, maybe this is his audition right now.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Scooter1027 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:51 pm

wrveres wrote:I still don't trust Yost to play him regularly.
He has 6 outfielders on the roster, and has to find playing time for all of them.

I hope you're wrong, but it's possible. Corey is out of the lineup tonight against the sidewinding righty Kim as Yost went with his all-lefty lineup due to the general success of lefties versus Kim (Gross, Jenkins and Gwynn in the OF). I get the feeling though that this is very situational, and Hart should be in there almost everyday.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby sansav » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:28 pm

HR for Hart tonight - pick this guy up, very talented, good HR/SB combo, much higher ceiling than guys like Mench or Gwynn - Yost will find this guy PT
sansav
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cwrtlm » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:34 pm

He is a Kentucky boy too. That makes him even more ownable. :-D
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby shasty mcnasty » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:46 pm

i think i'd be more convinced that he would get regular playing time if he would just agree to wear his sunglasses at night... B-)
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers