gyroball video - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

gyroball video

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby redjake » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:28 pm

DSheppard wrote:
dipset wrote:Well i can throw a gyroball if that is one. just throw it high and inside?

it baffles me that anyone could not tell the difference between that and a fastball. at least not if you had seen cj wilsons normal fastball. watch the slow motion replay at the end a few times closely.

anyway, CJ Wilson replied to a comment i made on the clip on a rangers blog. He goes there from time to time and has confirmed its him.

"basically I have no control over the pitch in relation to my other pitches- I throw it when I can afford to miss the zone if they take, like in 0-1 , 0-2 or 1-2 counts mostly. the reason I walked a few guys earlier in the season was because I might have been over using it and throwing it with a full count. if the batter has swung, only ichiro has made foul ball contact with the pitch, no one else has even tipped it.

I can't really describe how weird the pitch is to throw- I feel like my body is going all over the place but the results are pretty nasty so I practice here and there.

as far as frequency- I just threw out that 23 pitch thing kinda randomly but it evens out to around once an appearance or so. "

Sheppard, care to share the blog?
redjake
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DSheppard » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:45 pm

Rangers news blog lonestarball by adam j. morris.

heres the diary on the gyro.
http://www.lonestarball.com/story/2007/6/2/34545/29780

he is blueglovelefty
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Jury » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:31 pm

willy-t wrote:
The Jury wrote:It appeared to have much different movement than the gyroball Dice-K's been speculated to throw, which has more slider/curveball type movement. I didn't find that clip very impressive, but I was also an Eric Chavez owner until I got fed up with him last week!

On a side note, physics doesn't allow a baseball to break "up." Rising fastballs (4 seamers) don't actually rise, but they drop less than other pitches.

I read some piece about how the grandfather of the Gyroball said it did break up because you set it up so that it flew like an american football in spiral style and the aerodynamic projection made it speed up and explode towards the plate.

I wasn't under the impressions that a 4 seamer had and 'rise' on it, I thought it was just a standard straight fastball. I would disagree that physics doesn't allow the baseball to rise, but I agree it's the overhand motion of a pitch that makes it difficult, Jenny Finch utilises a riseball but thats because she underarms it, and can grip it in a different way., like an upside down curveball.

I have to say that I'm not engrossed by the gyroball myth. People seem to treat it like the holy grail but honestly I'm not bothered about it really, and whenever I see somebody try to explain it they seem to lead you down blind alleys. Urban Myth IMO.

The grip and resulting spin and drag imparted on the ball are not enough to overcome gravity, therefore pitched balls do not rise. They drop.

The only way to throw an rising pitch is to throw it at an upward trajectory with enough velocity to overcome gravity throughout the entire distance to the plate.

You can disagree with me - I'm cool with that, and I definitely don't know everything (or much?). But I'll take physics over your opinion.

Here's an article for you.[/url]
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DSheppard » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:35 pm

willy-t wrote:I have to say that I'm not engrossed by the gyroball myth. People seem to treat it like the holy grail but honestly I'm not bothered about it really, and whenever I see somebody try to explain it they seem to lead you down blind alleys. Urban Myth IMO.

didnt catch this part before.

im sorry, but what part of the following sounds like a blind alley and urban myth?

- in spring training, several articles report the "inventor" of the gyroball visted the spring training camps of several teams including the Texas Rangers, and CJ Wilson is specifically mentioned as attempting to learn the pitch
- in the season, he specifically says personally that he is throwing the pitch
- heres a video of a pitch with unique movement, which he personally says is the gyroball

where is the confusion?

massively overhyped? probably. but a myth? why?
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jswede » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:48 pm

The Jury wrote:On a side note, physics doesn't allow a baseball to break "up." Rising fastballs (4 seamers) don't actually rise, but they drop less than other pitches.

The Jury is spot on. Theoretically, with enough spin (or with more obtrusive stitching), the ball can overcome gravity's 9.8m/s^2 pull on the ball, and if you threw hard enough - like 200mph - the ball would actually rise a little bit. but the "s^2", or seconds squared, part of the equation means that the ball could not be exposed to gravity for more than an instant before gravity takes over. So if you threw 200mph, the ball would be in the catcher's mitt before gravity's overriding effect on the spin.

(Side note, a whiffle ball will rise becase the holes in the ball grab more air as it spins.)

Does anyone remember back when astroturf first was put to use in baseball - some used to say that the ball would actually PICK UP SPEED on a bounce when, say, the SS threw to 1st? Obviously a ludicrous thought, but one that some believed because compared to grass, the ball didn't nearly slow down so much on the bounce. Like the "rising fastball", both are optical illusions.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby redjake » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:21 am

DSheppard wrote:Rangers news blog lonestarball by adam j. morris.

heres the diary on the gyro.
http://www.lonestarball.com/story/2007/6/2/34545/29780

he is blueglovelefty

Much appreciated.
redjake
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers