gyroball video - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

gyroball video

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

gyroball video

Postby DSheppard » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:51 am

thought a few people might want to see this, although gyromania has died down since the preseason.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v169/ ... _gyro2.flv

CJ Wilson confirmed thats what the pitch was, and says he throws it about once every 20 pitches.

his normal fastball breaks quite a bit from left to right, this kind of backs up a little bit right to left without too much movement. probably only usable as an unexpected pitch in the right situations. not that impressive in video, but its interesting. to me at least.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DSheppard » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:53 am

wow, no interst :-?

well, one bump to get it up top for the morning people, then i guess ill give up if noone cares again.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby redjake » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:09 am

That looks trashy. Just when you expect it to break down and away, it appears to rise up and in.

CJ's been claiming that he can throw the gyroball for awhile now, but he's kind of a cutup so I assumed he was just messing w/ the media.

I don't know if that was a gyro, but whatever it was I liked it.
redjake
College Coach
College Coach

Postby willy-t » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:49 am

yeah, it looked pretty nasty, seemed to break up and in to him.
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:07 pm

It appeared to have much different movement than the gyroball Dice-K's been speculated to throw, which has more slider/curveball type movement. I didn't find that clip very impressive, but I was also an Eric Chavez owner until I got fed up with him last week!

On a side note, physics doesn't allow a baseball to break "up." Rising fastballs (4 seamers) don't actually rise, but they drop less than other pitches.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby theclefe » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:59 pm

Can we all agree that the definition of a "Gyroball" is:

A mistake pitch that does something it isn't suppose to do, but the batter still swings and misses, thus baffling everyone who thought the pitcher wasn't very good in the first place.

:-D
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby willy-t » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:36 pm

The Jury wrote:It appeared to have much different movement than the gyroball Dice-K's been speculated to throw, which has more slider/curveball type movement. I didn't find that clip very impressive, but I was also an Eric Chavez owner until I got fed up with him last week!

On a side note, physics doesn't allow a baseball to break "up." Rising fastballs (4 seamers) don't actually rise, but they drop less than other pitches.

I read some piece about how the grandfather of the Gyroball said it did break up because you set it up so that it flew like an american football in spiral style and the aerodynamic projection made it speed up and explode towards the plate.

I wasn't under the impressions that a 4 seamer had and 'rise' on it, I thought it was just a standard straight fastball. I would disagree that physics doesn't allow the baseball to rise, but I agree it's the overhand motion of a pitch that makes it difficult, Jenny Finch utilises a riseball but thats because she underarms it, and can grip it in a different way., like an upside down curveball.

I have to say that I'm not engrossed by the gyroball myth. People seem to treat it like the holy grail but honestly I'm not bothered about it really, and whenever I see somebody try to explain it they seem to lead you down blind alleys. Urban Myth IMO.
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby byfrcp » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:45 pm

I'd like to see the MythBusters take on the gyroball, that would be a sweet episode ;-D
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby dipset » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:20 pm

Well i can throw a gyroball if that is one. just throw it high and inside?
dipset
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DSheppard » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:59 pm

dipset wrote:Well i can throw a gyroball if that is one. just throw it high and inside?

it baffles me that anyone could not tell the difference between that and a fastball. at least not if you had seen cj wilsons normal fastball. watch the slow motion replay at the end a few times closely.

anyway, CJ Wilson replied to a comment i made on the clip on a rangers blog. He goes there from time to time and has confirmed its him.

"basically I have no control over the pitch in relation to my other pitches- I throw it when I can afford to miss the zone if they take, like in 0-1 , 0-2 or 1-2 counts mostly. the reason I walked a few guys earlier in the season was because I might have been over using it and throwing it with a full count. if the batter has swung, only ichiro has made foul ball contact with the pitch, no one else has even tipped it.

I can't really describe how weird the pitch is to throw- I feel like my body is going all over the place but the results are pretty nasty so I practice here and there.

as far as frequency- I just threw out that 23 pitch thing kinda randomly but it evens out to around once an appearance or so. "
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers