Pat Burrell - what happened last year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pat Burrell - what happened last year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby justinA » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:03 pm

he hit reality.
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:25 pm

justinA wrote:he hit reality.

I dont think so. He is a much better hitter than he showed last year and should rebound nicely this year.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Manutd016 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:27 pm

anyone who can hit 39 hrs and 117 and hit 20 something the year before is no fluke. This guy was very hyped in the minor leagues and i think he should rebound nicely this year. I don't know what happened last year, but at least we know he is not injured.
--------------> PANSY!

I'm the artist formely known as Manutd016
Manutd016
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BobbyRoberto » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:44 pm

I think Burrell is a good candidate to bounce back. Maybe not to 2002 levels: 96 runs, 37 homers, 116 RBI; but he won't turn in another stinker like last year.

My reasoning is that, for one thing, his strike zone judgement wasn't noticeably different than in the past.

2001: 1 walk every 7.7 AB
2002: 1 walk every 6.6 AB (his best year overall)
2003: 1 walk every 7.3 AB

2001: 1 K every 3.3 AB
2002: 1 K every 3.8 AB
2003: 1 K every 3.7 AB

He'll be 27 this year, which is a peak age. Expectations are lowered after last year. I'm hoping he drops in my draft and I'd look at picking him up late (my league doesn't use batting average but does use OBP and SLG as categories)

My projection:
85 r, 30 hr, 90 rbi, 1 sb, .260 avg, .360 obp, .510 slg
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby gypsyspot » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:46 pm

High strikeout guys like Burrell are prone to slumps. Burrell just got in an enormous slump last year and could never get out. It eventually changed his swing. I wouldn't expect him to have a full rebound, some guys just can't handle the mass amounts of failure that come with proffesional baseball.
I know the future!!!!!!!
gypsyspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:45 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:DO we all remeber Konerko, Mike Cameron, Aurilia and others. They have one good year and are proclaimed the next coming of Ruth. A guy with a proven track record like Green for instance who has an off year is much more likely to be injury related than 1 year wonders.

Umm, you might want to look up your stats before making broad statements like that. Konerko had 4 great years from 1999-2002. Cameron had solid (albeit ugly in the AVG) years from 1999-2002 also. Shawn Green has only had one more good year than either of those guys. If you're going to make knee-jerk posts like this I suggest you take the time to get the info to back it up. Or stick to football.

At least you got one name right. Aurilia was a Barry Bonds fluke.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Madison » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:02 am

The Phillies in general did not live up to their expectations last year. The heat was on Bowa and Bowa and Burrell clashed big time. I'm sure that had something to do with it.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yikes » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:12 am

Sounds like he's worth an 8-10th rounder then, thanks for the info
;-D
Insert Signature Here...
Yikes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:17 am

I'm always suspicious of guys that don't reach the majors until late. Burrell didn't play a full ML season until he was 24.

I don't know. Maybe I'll draft him by the 13th or 14th round. In round 8, there will be too much talent left to take a chance for me.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jonnyblack » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:28 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I'm always suspicious of guys that don't reach the majors until late. Burrell didn't play a full ML season until he was 24.

He was in College (Miami FL, Golden Spikes 1998) until he was 22. Tha't only two years in the minors. Doesn't sound too bad to me.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers