Pat Burrell - what happened last year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pat Burrell - what happened last year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pat Burrell - what happened last year?

Postby Yikes » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:15 pm

Just wondering what was the reason for Burrell's decline last year...was it an injury? was it that pitchers found a weakness in his hitting that he couldn't adjust to?

Just wanted to know more before I consider where to draft him.

Thanks in advance ;-D
Insert Signature Here...
Yikes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

hmmm

Postby Ballwreckers » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:40 pm

The problem was he got a pay raise! :-P
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yikes » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:58 pm

so nothing was wrong with him and the money just went to his head?
:-?
Any other opinions?
Insert Signature Here...
Yikes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tlef316 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:28 pm

the money he got put alot of high expectations on him, which i bet made him a little nervous. i think he will be a little more relaxed this year and do better. he will never be a .300 hitter but i think he will be a good power option with a chance to be a consistent 35-40 HR guy
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jonnyblack » Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:49 pm

IMO, it looked like a secret knee injury to me. He was lunging at balls that he was reaching and ripping the year before. He didn't look like he was even trying to get any power from his legs. Then, when you start going bad, everybody and their dog tries to tell you how to fix it. These reason's, plus Pat's immaturity, and Bowa's intolerance and negaitivity, were all contributing factors. I think Pat has way too much talent for what he did last year, lets just hope it's not too late.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:57 pm

Maybe he just stinks...Smetimes injuries are behind things like this, other times the guy may just have been an overrated stiff. DO we all remeber Konerko, Mike Cameron, Aurilia and others. They have one good year and are proclaimed the next coming of Ruth. A guy with a proven track record like Green for instance who has an off year is much more likely to be injury related than 1 year wonders.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby swingaway » Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:00 pm

jonnyblack wrote:IMO, it looked like a secret knee injury to me. He was lunging at balls that he was reaching and ripping the year before. He didn't look like he was even trying to get any power from his legs. Then, when you start going bad, everybody and their dog tries to tell you how to fix it. These reason's, plus Pat's immaturity, and Bowa's intolerance and negaitivity, were all contributing factors. I think Pat has way too much talent for what he did last year, lets just hope it's not too late.

When you start lunging it means one are two things its either your injured are your batting technique changed and in this case i think pat changed batting technique to companstate for his other injury. I know this first hand lol cause my coaches never to luge at the ball because you most likely wil miss it lol and hit for a lozy average but if you connect you bash the ball lol.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mrt19167 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:28 pm

He spent too much time with Adam Dunn.
Mrt19167

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:40 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Maybe he just stinks...Smetimes injuries are behind things like this, other times the guy may just have been an overrated stiff. DO we all remeber Konerko, Mike Cameron, Aurilia and others. They have one good year and are proclaimed the next coming of Ruth. A guy with a proven track record like Green for instance who has an off year is much more likely to be injury related than 1 year wonders.

"Mr. Optimism" has spoken once again. I'm suprised you even play fantasy baseball. I don't think there are 23 players you haven't said something bad about. I don't think I've ever seen you write something about a player that was positive. I know most people are overly optimistic, sometimes to a fault, but you are unreal.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 455)

Postby Grouperman941 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:02 pm

I drafted Burrell last year (first round of a 6-keeper league) with my first pick, so I watched him quite a bit.

I think it started with him pressing because of the high expectations due to the contract, but every adjustment seemed to lead to another problem. He was impatient, he was too patient, he wasn't aggressive, he was overswinging. Sometimes he didn't seem like he was picking up the ball. Then he'd have a random AB where everything looked right and he'd work a count, foul off some good pitches and line one over the wall. But the next time up he'd look bad again.

Minor injury or not, his was the longest slump in the history of baseball.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers