Torres Out - Capps In As Pitt Closer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Torres Out - Capps In As Pitt Closer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jh2031 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:12 pm

I don't know what everyone is so excited about. He's really not that much better than Torres. I think he blew 9 save opps. last year. He throws WAY to many strikes...that is obviously not a bad thing but it is when you throw fastballs right down the middle like he does. Personally, as a Pirates fan and watching him every night...he may do better than Torres but don't expect the guy to totally shut down every game in the 9th.
jh2031
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Y`s Guy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:44 am

I traded Solamon for Dan Uggla 2 weeks ago :-° .
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby iceman44 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:02 am

I just snagged him up and dropped that worthless Todd Jones.
iceman44
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby meathead » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:27 am

last years blown saves for capps are misleading. he was a setup man/ middle reliever. look at those blown saves and youll see alot of one hit no earned run outings meaning he came in a crappy situation. hes the real deal... pirates closer of the future for the last few years. i hope hes as good as jj putz was last year.
meathead
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kugino » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:48 am

i got capps and m. young about a month ago for hall/valverde. though young still hasn't broken out, he's getting better and i think w/capps now the closer i should come out ahead in this trade...

but i agree w/those who say capps isn't an elite closer - after all, in 16 innings since i got him, his ERA's 5.40 and the whip's 1.40. those numbers better change for the better soon...
5x5 12-team league w/5 keepers.
as of 5/02: 2nd place; 5/27: 6th
kugino
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pangbones » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:31 am

jh2031 wrote:I don't know what everyone is so excited about. He's really not that much better than Torres. I think he blew 9 save opps. last year. He throws WAY to many strikes...that is obviously not a bad thing but it is when you throw fastballs right down the middle like he does. Personally, as a Pirates fan and watching him every night...he may do better than Torres but don't expect the guy to totally shut down every game in the 9th.

I sort of agree with this statement. Of course he's gonna have value, but I don't see him being much better than Torres either.

His stuff is no where near JJ Putz's!!
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby weatherman92 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:55 am

I am very interested in picking up Capps...but I'm booked solid now on my roster. So...would you consider dropping one of the following relievers for Capps?

Dotel...locked in, but limited opportunities.
Weathers...Eddie G to replace him?
Gregg...Benitez lurking?

(Already have Myers (DL) and Feuntes)
weatherman92
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby meathead » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:59 am

pangbones wrote:
jh2031 wrote:I don't know what everyone is so excited about. He's really not that much better than Torres. I think he blew 9 save opps. last year. He throws WAY to many strikes...that is obviously not a bad thing but it is when you throw fastballs right down the middle like he does. Personally, as a Pirates fan and watching him every night...he may do better than Torres but don't expect the guy to totally shut down every game in the 9th.

I sort of agree with this statement. Of course he's gonna have value, but I don't see him being much better than Torres either.

His stuff is no where near JJ Putz's!!

oh i know hes no jj putz, i was saying i hope he can do something similar though. im real high on this guy mainly becasue of how high the pirates are on him. i have no real evaluation of him being in california so i never see him. i just know that hes the one whos supposed to close for the pirates for a long time.
meathead
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AwalKB » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:57 pm

WOOHOO!!! Been holding true to this guy since I lost my two top closers in a couple of trades, finally pays off
AwalKB
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RedSoxdominate » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:59 pm

This is terrible! I had Torres but was out of town when this happened with limited internet access, and another jerk picked up Capps :-t. What are some options for people like me who only have one closer, and the only guy on waivers in Rafael Soriano? 8-o
RedSoxdominate
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates