Trade Scenario Tourney:Round 1-theclefe vs. suppasonic - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Scenario Tourney:Round 1-theclefe vs. suppasonic

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Whose scenario is better

Poll ended at Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:36 am

theclefe
87%
suppasonic
13%

Total votes : 15

Trade Scenario Tourney:Round 1-theclefe vs. suppasonic

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:12 pm

Please don't respond to this thread until both contestants have done so.

You are the San Francisco Giants GM(thankfully, your name isn't Brian Sabean)

Your predecessor just traded away your former closer in Benitez and ate his contract a month ago before getting fired. Since then, the newcomer Randy Messenger hasn't adapted to the NL West and is getting knocked around quite a bit(6.88ERA 1.75WHIP). Hennessey hasn't done well in the closer role at all and was jerked in and out of the role numerous times. He has, however, done quite well outside the closer role(5.58ERA in save situations, converting 5 of 9 save chances, 3.19ERA in non save situations). Other RP explained below

Ortiz-overall numbers are decent but inconsistent in general. Doesn't look rattled in the closer role but doesn't perform day in and day out. Overall number over the month(let's clarify that the month is between when Armando is traded and the current tense in the situation) is 3.98ERA with a 1.31WHIP

Brian Wilson-ERA looks artificially good at 1.98 in AAA, but with more walks than hits allowed, is still struggling with control issues. 1.45WHIP

Kevin Correia-has done what he's done all year, and hasn't been tried to close. He has stayed in middle relief, occasionally setting up Ortiz/Hennessey when the other guy needs a rest. 14ip 10hits 5er 7bb 12k in a month.

Vinnie Chulk-sucks in important situation but dominant in less pressured situations.

Steve Kline continued to struggle and was DFAed before Sabean was fired. Taschner is now the main LOOGY.

Jonathan Sanchez is out for at least 2 more months.

Ok, we've gotten the bad out of the way, now the good. Barry Bonds has been heating up and hitting HRs again, perhaps as a results, the rest of the Giants lineup has been very productive and producing good run support fairly consistently. The starting rotation has been very good too, Barry Zito has came back from an early season struggle to post 5 straight quality starts, Matt Morris has gone into the 7th inning in 6 of his last 7 starts, Matt Cain is still inconsistent but do have good overall numbers, Lincecum slowed down a bit but still has a high 3 ERA, Lowry is the weakest link but still has kept the Giants in the majority of games.

Despite the bullpen continuously blowing the game day in and day out. The Giants has kept up with the rest of the division due to strong offense and good rotation. And are only 4 games out of first place in the NL West. Ownership has ordered you to sort out the bullpen and give the Giants a chance at the WS before all the old position players either retire or get one year older after the season. Propose some moves(call up/send down/shuffle of roles/trades) to sort the bullpen out to help the rest of the team.

for scenario suggestions, ideas or complains, pm PlayingWithFire at the cafe
Last edited by PlayingWithFire on Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby theclefe » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:16 am

I am incredibly pleased with how well the offense is doing, but will admit my surprise. It is an aged squad, moments away from a complete collapse. Conversely, our leaderless bullpen is younger, but much versatile and durable. While I would love to see a premier closer fall into our lap, I don't think we have as great a need, nor do I think we can devote the necessary resources to acquire anything better than we have now.

Ideally, I would like to bring Wilson up and insert him as closer, but if his control is faulty then he would do more damage in the role (to himself) than good. I would keep Hennessey in the closer position. Though he has struggled, his is the best pitcher of the bunch. He has the best GO/AO ratio on a team with a solid middle infield. That is he still pitching well in non-close situations proves he can be an effective pitcher. I'm comfortable allowing him continue while I put pieces into place.

Jose Capellan fell out of favor with the Brewers in the offseason, and has been yo-yo'd from the majors all season. Despite a high ERA last season, he posted a .244 BAA. So far in the PCL he has significantly cut down on homeruns given up and dropped many of his ratios. If I could snag him cheaply, perhaps for a second tier infield prospect like Marcus Sanders or a comparable player, I would. An additional solid reliever would push Chulk into a mopup/long role, and struggling Messenger out of the regular rotation either through DFA or as a 12th reliever if needed.

Depending on his performance in the next week or so, Taschner would be on a very short leash as the loogy. If he should faulter in the role, Pat Misch has been pitching very well in the PCL. The converted starter is not only pitching well to Lefties as a reliever, but he can also challenge righties.

It is not an instant solution. I don't see Correira as an option to close, or Ortiz. With both Misch and Capellan facing major league pitchers, I see one of them performing well enough to warrant a shot at closing, but it will take a few more weeks of Hennessey in the role before either could be trusted. Maybe in that time he turns it around, maybe not.

While waiting for the bullpen to gel, I would focus on improving my offense so it will be able collect enough wins to get my rotation into the postseason. I would pursue a trade for either KC's Reggie Sanders or NY's Bobby Abreu, hoping to snag the lesser priced sluggers while their stock is low, floating power hitting OF prospect Nate Schierholtz as the cornerstone of the deal with Billy Sadler as an attractive add on.

The move would allow Bochy to use the versatile Lewis more effectively, either as a pinch hitter, defensive replacement for Barry or to spell the other outfielders.

CF Winn
SS Vizquel
LF Bonds
1B Aurillia
RF Abreu
C Molina
3B Felix
2B Durham/Frandsen
P

Util Lewis, Frandsen
PH Sweeney, Klesko

SP Zito
SP Morris
SP Cain
SP Lowry
SP Lincecum

LOOGY - Misch (Tascher)
Long/Late - Chulk
Middle - Capellan
Middle - Correira
Setup - Ortiz
Closer - Hennessey
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby suppasonic » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:33 am

I have devised a plan in order to get our bullpen under control and prime ourselves to get a wild card spot or even win the West.

We are the oldest team in the majors, by far, so shipping out our precious few young stars is not an option.

However, we have one of the most dominating rotations in the game, with Zito, Cain, Lincecum, Lowry, and Morris all putting in excellent performances.

Given that SP is our greatest strength, we have a few options:

-We could deal a SP for a long-term solution at closer. Sending Noah Lowry to the Braves, who need one more SP for a push at the Mets, for Rafael Soriano and Willie Harris could be one possible deal. We could swing a deal with the Cubs for the struggling Howry, or with the struggling White Sox for young fireballer David Aardsma.

-We could call up Pat Misch from Fresno, and give the 25-year old with over a K per inning and a 4 K to BB ratio a shot in middle relief.

-We could put Ortiz back in the rotation, and have Lincecum close for the interim. Johan Santana and Fransisco Liriano started in the bullpen and turned out well, so keeping the physical stress of Tim for his first year could be good. Many of our scouts have called him a right-handed Billy Wagner, so I’m not the only one who thinks he’d be better suited as a lights-out closer, considering his mechanics.

-We could ask our starters to conserve their energy as to last longer in games and keep our reliever arms fresh.

If I can manage to swing a deal for one of the aforementioned closers, our problem would look to have a very solid solution. If I cant, then Misch could be a promising bullpen candidate. Finally, if we must, Ortiz can go into the rotation and Lincecum can close in the interim. Ortiz hasn’t pitched terribly bad and might follow the Dodger’s Brett Tomko as a decent starter turned reliever turned starter. I don't want to play games with the top young pitching prospect in the game, but if he closes for two months and Jonathan Sanchez can step into the role, his growth will not be stunted and he will be awesome in the bullpen.

There is no instant solution. However, if we follow these three steps, one of them should give us a decent bullpen. We do not need a “closer” to close out all our games. Messenger is one of our more talented relievers; we can use him in situations such as the 7th inning when its close and we are facing the meat of the order. While Boston failed to execute the closer by committee effectively, we can.

San Francisco Giants
General Manager

Last edited by suppasonic on Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:37 am

mark mulder :-o hes not on your team...

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:49 am

Snakes Gould wrote:mark mulder :-o hes not on your team...

lol, I'll allow him to edit this once.

Also, just to clarify. I pictured the answer to be "I trade who for who and who, and I'll put who where and who where and send who to what level." Not "I may do this, I may do that if this doesn't work out."

I'll give supp a chance to edit his entry, and I'll restart the poll when he does.

to expand on what I pictured this tourney being. For example, KC's SS problem.

What I pictured the answer(what I intended) would be.

KC trade Justin Huber, Scott Elarton and Danny Tamayo to the Washington Nationals for Felipe Lopez and signed him to a 4 years extension with a PTBNL.
and here's the lineup and pitching staff after the trade....

What I didn't picture that keep happening.

Well, I might trade a Justin Huber package to DC for Lopez, they need pitchers. But if that doesn't work out I might talk to the Angels about Aybar. If that doesn't work out I'm fine with Pena as well.

well, this is the first try, can't be too picky ;-D
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:26 am

Ortiz-overall numbers are decent but inconsistent in general. Doesn't look rattled in the closer role but doesn't perform day in and day out. Overall number over the month(let's clarify that the month is between when Armando is traded and the current tense in the situation) is 3.98ERA with a 1.31WHIP

Brian Wilson-ERA looks artificially good at 1.98 in AAA, but with more walks than hits allowed, is still struggling with control issues. 1.45WHIP

Kevin Correia-has done what he's done all year, and hasn't been tried to close. He has stayed in middle relief, occasionally setting up Ortiz/Hennessey when the other guy needs a rest. 14ip 10hits 5er 7bb 12k in a month.

Vinnie Chulk-sucks in important situation but dominant in less pressured situations.

Steve Kline continued to struggle and was DFAed before Sabean was fired. Taschner is now the main LOOGY.

Question: Why do you predict what their situation will be down the road? So basically the whole response is based on a possible scenario and not the actual situation, which completely changes the response, making it sort of pointless and dumb. It would be more fun to read the responses if you are the GM TODAY and make a response based on that, not on something that might happen. Anyways just my .02

As for the response, I like clefe's. ;-D
Rubber Game Roster
ImageImage
whoseyourdaddy12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Mission: break the curse of the Chicago Cubs in Rubber Game

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:47 am

whoseyourdaddy12 wrote:

Question: Why do you predict what their situation will be down the road? So basically the whole response is based on a possible scenario and not the actual situation, which completely changes the response, making it sort of pointless and dumb. It would be more fun to read the responses if you are the GM TODAY and make a response based on that, not on something that might happen. Anyways just my .02

As for the response, I like clefe's. ;-D

I am just experimenting with different things. And if the majority agree with you. I'll completely scrap the idea in the future.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:54 am

I agree with whoseyourdaddy. Doing "in a month" scenarios creates a problem, because a) we haven't seen the people play the past month, you just give us stats and b) we don't know how the whole league did the past month, so we don't know players' trade values...
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:23 am

yeah ill agree with these 2. in a month is really spectulative and not really fair to the two participants. its better if you do it from today's point on.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:30 am

PWF, you could of saved that whole made up scenario and just typed.

Ownership has ordered you to sort out the bullpen and give the Giants a chance at the WS

Seriously, it was really that hard to follow.
Keep it simple.

As for the scenarios, they are both unlikely.
No way Atlanta moves their starting left fielder and their premium setup man for Noah Lowry. Atlanta has plenty of in house options to start.

Why not just move Noah Lowry for Octavio Dotel ... well, thats what I would do.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers