The Black List... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Black List...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:26 pm

Gonzo just had that surgery and I'm not sure he'll be 100% by ST. Plus, people still think he'll repeat the magic of 2001, which won't happen. He's a 30-HR hitter.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Yankee Fans....hahahahahha

Postby OldeTowneTeamGuy » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:03 am

And you thought Jeff Weaver was a stud when you got them. Vazquez is known to be very timid. He has shied away repeatedly from big market teams. Talent doesn't always equal producation. And in this case Vazquez will be another talented player who can't get it done in NY (just like Jeff Weaver).
The Red Sox Win, The Red Sox Win, My Gramma can rest in peace, The Red Sox win
OldeTowneTeamGuy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Yankee Fans....hahahahahha

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:17 am

OldeTowneTeamGuy wrote:And in this case Vazquez will be another talented player who can't get it done in NY (just like Jeff Weaver).

Because Weaver didn't succeed, this means Vazquez won't? Quite a bit a difference between the two. Weaver has never had 160k's, and has a career so/w ratio of 2-1. Vazquez has had at least 195 k's 3 times, with a career 3-1 so/w ratio. Much better talent.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:25 am

TheYanks04 wrote:I have never understood why some people will gamble on injury prone clowns in the early rounds when other great players are still on the board. It makes no sense, yet it happens every year.

Cause it can really pay for you. I drafted Juan Gonzalez after Cleveland got him, i got him in like the 6 round and i goy laughed at and he pretty much carried my team. Its a rulette and one shouldnt do it everytime but drafting a sure thing its not sure either.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby trevisc » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:36 am

Anonymous wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:I have never understood why some people will gamble on injury prone clowns in the early rounds when other great players are still on the board. It makes no sense, yet it happens every year.

Cause it can really pay for you. I drafted Juan Gonzalez after Cleveland got him, i got him in like the 6 round and i goy laughed at and he pretty much carried my team. Its a rulette and one shouldnt do it everytime but drafting a sure thing its not sure either.

that's why fantasy baseball is part "Luck". I could predict Griffey to flop this year and he could hit 50. I do agree though that sometimes you have to take a chance. As long as you have a lot less Chance players then you do sure fire players you'll be alright.

There is, however, the exception to the rule like Jeter,Vlad, RJ all going down last year. And that is to just name a few.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby KULCAT » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:46 am

i agree with both of you guys, there´s really no such thing like playing it safe. But you have to play the odds most of the times
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:42 am

How about Aaron Boone? I think he'll be a bust. ;-)

I agree with most of the consistent picks--LuGo, Loaiza, etc.

I especially don't like Sheff going in the first round. Maggs and Manny should definitely be going before him.

I also worry about Giambi and Delgado--still good players, but not first/second round material in my opinion. But, I'm a huge believer in position scarcity and unless I get Helton or Pujols, I wait on 1b.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:44 am

Transmogrifier wrote:How about Aaron Boone? I think he'll be a bust. ;-)

I agree with most of the consistent picks--LuGo, Loaiza, etc.

I especially don't like Sheff going in the first round. Maggs and Manny should definitely be going before him.

I also worry about Giambi and Delgado--still good players, but not first/second round material in my opinion. But, I'm a huge believer in position scarcity and unless I get Helton or Pujols, I wait on 1b.

Thats too funny - Im almost the opposite. I think Sheff and Manny are too close to seperate, but Maggs is definitely after both.

I worry about Delgado too, but I have faith in Giambi, and have no problem using a high pick on him.

I used to believe in position scarcity, but not this yr. The only position I will target somewhat early is 2b. I With my first 5-6 picks Im taking best available - and if that means maxing out on OF and 1B, then so be it. The IF is full of sleepers - a lot of speed and Rs to be had in the IF late this yr.
I guess what I am saying is that using position scarcity as a major factor this yr will get you burned, IMO, because its not going to pay off as much as it did in years past.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers