Henry Owens - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Henry Owens

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby coleman1027 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:25 pm

I've got owens on my DL......obviously I've got to make a decision soon. I have Gregg though.......I'm probably gonna drop Owens, he's looking like 3rd in line at this point...
coleman1027
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby foeplay » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:00 pm

yahoo wrote:May 31 Gregg will continue to be used in save situations despite the return of of former closer Henry Owens, manager Freddi Gonzalez said.

Advice: Gregg has converted all six of his save opportunities - five since May 16 - and has not allowed an earned run since May 9, a span of 11 appearances. Gregg also had to deal with back-to-back games where he was brought in with the bases loaded against the Cubs.
foeplay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deutschland » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:20 pm

foeplay wrote:
yahoo wrote:May 31 Gregg will continue to be used in save situations despite the return of of former closer Henry Owens, manager Freddi Gonzalez said.

Advice: Gregg has converted all six of his save opportunities - five since May 16 - and has not allowed an earned run since May 9, a span of 11 appearances. Gregg also had to deal with back-to-back games where he was brought in with the bases loaded against the Cubs.

wake up dude. this quote is pre-Benitez.
deutschland
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:23 pm

Here's the full update and it does incorporate Benitez into the mix (although not clear as to whether or not the trade was finalized when the update was written).

Marlins keep Gregg as closer
Kevin Gregg, RP FLA

News: Despite former closer Henry Owens rejoining the team and news of a trade involving Armando Benitez, Florida Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said Kevin Gregg will remain the closer. "Kevin's going to be the guy who is going to be closing for us," Gonzalez said Thursday night before the Marlins lost 4-3 to the the Milwaukee Brewers. "I think he deserves that opportunity." The Marlins acquired Benitez, who saved a club record 47 games for the Marlins in 2004, along with cash considerations from the San Francisco Giants in exchange for reliever Randy Messenger. "We'll sit down and talk to him," Gonzalez said of Benitez. "Right now, Kevin has earned that opportunity (to close) and we'll see."

Analysis: Gregg (0-2) has converted all six of his save opportunities -- five since May 16 -- and has not allowed an earned run since May 9, a span of 11 appearances. The right-hander also had to deal with back-to-back games where he was brought in with the bases loaded against the Cubs. Gonzalez said he's been impressed with Gregg's versatility, having worked him in a variety of situations before Owens went on the disabled list with right rotator cuff tendinitis on May 11. It appears as though the Marlins will stick with Gregg as the closer, but for how long? Benitez will be breathing down his back. Gregg remains a sleeper candidate for saves in all Fantasy formats
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby negola_d » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:55 pm

I dont care what site is reporting this or that. They're guessing. Just as everyone.
Hey, its Fredi Gonzalez. He will change closer on every third day, and on sundays.
Gregg is the closer until he blows a couple of games, then Benitez will blow a couple.
Then he will go with Tankersley for a game.
But that wont work so he removes B-H Kim from the rotation and names him as the closer on jun 14.
Then he declares a CbC on jun 18. after the Kim gives up the 3 run HR to Juan Uribe.
Oh I forgot Owens, but he'll be there somewhere too.
After nearly two weeks of CbC, on July 1. Florida will trade Renyel Pinto for Salomon Torres.
On july 3. Florida will trade Dontrelle Willis for Eric Gagne.
Last edited by negola_d on Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
negola_d
College Coach
College Coach

Postby swyck » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:09 pm

livinginarizona wrote:see Benitez thread. It looks like BOTH Gregg and Owens will now be relegated to setup status with the trade for Benitez likely to go through.

Hardly likely IMO.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates