Collusion through dropping a player - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Collusion through dropping a player

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Collusion through dropping a player

Postby shawngee03 » Thu May 31, 2007 9:44 am

as a commish and as a manager, is there anything that can be done if a manager drops a good player, in this case Beckett, so that his brother can pick him up(bc he has teh top waiver spot).

this is obvious collusion bc Beckett should not be cut(unless im missing something), they are brothers, and the guy dropping him is in second to last while his bro is in second
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby MTUCache » Thu May 31, 2007 10:24 am

This was the entire reason for the "un-droppable" list... which unfortunately doesn't seem like it's long enough for most people.

Truthfully, the "un-droppable" list should be updated every week to include the top 10 players at each position, including any top-tier players who are under-performing.

It's also the reason for Waivers in the first place, so that they can't do this really sneakily at 3AM, they have to wait until the entire league has a chance to look at the Waivers.

Unfortunately, the only real way you're going to prevent this is going to involve blowing these guys up publicly. That, or completely changing the league rules/settings and giving the #1WW spot to somebody else, which is going to piss these guys off and start a hissy fit on the message boards (which seems inevitable at this point anyway).

I'd just point out that this is complete BS, tell these guys to do the right thing and fix it themselves before you have to step in, and restore order as quickly as possible. There's really no way this isn't collusion, so you have every justification you need to lock/remove either or both of these teams from the league. You threaten them with that, and carry through if they don't fix this themselves.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shawngee03 » Thu May 31, 2007 10:33 am

thanks. i guess you are right, I'll just have to let everyone know what is going on and hope they do the right thing. hopefully it wont get to teh point where i have to lock any rosters or do anything drastic.

and even worse, this league was a $20 buy in between friends. the only reason we did the $20 was to keep it at least a little competitive.
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MTUCache » Thu May 31, 2007 11:21 am

shawngee03 wrote:and even worse, this league was a $20 buy in between friends. the only reason we did the $20 was to keep it at least a little competitive.

Amazing how dirty people will get for a tiny little bit of money, isn't it? They'll screw over their friends, scratching and clawing for tiny little advantages, stabbing eachother in the back to get there.

Unfortunately, for most of the guys I know as well, competition brings out the worst in them. Seems like every year I regret getting in long-term leagues with them, because this is just the tip of the iceberg of the BS they'll try to pull in order to get an advantage.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby greenjd » Thu May 31, 2007 1:37 pm

I agree with MTU Cache. Expose it for what it is.

Funny, but I think I'm every bit as competitive in my non-money leagues, and I actually have come to prefer them. I just enjoy the competition and the smack. :-D
greenjd
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bwagner112 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:45 pm

I would just put Beckett back on the guy's team who dropped him and then lock his team from Add/Drops.....what a moron.
bwagner112
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:22 pm

This was the entire reason for the "un-droppable" list... which unfortunately doesn't seem like it's long enough for most people.

I don't use that list in any of my leagues but, then again, I don't play with people that would drop Beckett. I don't like Yahoo telling me who I can or can't drop.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby MTUCache » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:15 pm

Lofunzo wrote:

I don't use that list in any of my leagues but, then again, I don't play with people that would drop Beckett. I don't like Yahoo telling me who I can or can't drop.

For a league with an active, responsible commissioner, and competitive, fair owners, that's probably the way to go anyway.

So many rules have been put into place to combat the people who abused loopholes in the old rules. But, in doing so, they make things tougher on the people who aren't cutting the corners.

I'd much rather play in a league where there was a fair commish who ran things through the spirit of the rules, properly, than just sticking up a rulebook and letting people abuse it however they want.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby springfield atoms » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:37 pm

my suggestions:

1- try to talk to the parties involved, tell them its not right, get them to agree

2- if that doesn't work, talk to another owner or two privately for feedback.

3- undo the transaction. report to the league that you as commissioner believes its collusive...tell the league that you are open to feedback, and if no one disapproves, you are good to go.

please help with mine.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=296109
springfield atoms
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Collusion through dropping a player

Postby ordinarygenius » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:19 pm

What's funny is I also play in a league where my brother plays and he is probably my biggest rival. I would never EVER do any tiny bitty thing to help him. :D
ordinarygenius
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner