100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A-rod loses more respect

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Strasil42 » Thu May 31, 2007 1:57 pm

mweir145 wrote:
knapplc wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
knapplc wrote:Thanks for the Youtube clip, mweir.

After watching that, it's clear that anyone bashing ARod for this is simply looking for some way to bash ARod or the Yankees, or is a Blue Jays fan.

He tried to distract the fielder. Attempts to distract your opponent are part of baseball. End of story.

Did you see the example of the umpire calling out a college player earlier this year for doing the same thing as ARod did under the interference rule?

It isn't anywhere near as clear cut as you seem to be suggesting.

So what? Rules are interpreted differently by different umpire crews around MLB EVERY DAY. So what if some college ump called a guy out for this? When has a MLB player been called out for doing this?

This happens in baseball at some level EVERY SINGLE DAY. It is a part of the game, just like any other attempt at deception.

This thread is only happening because it's ARod and/or the Yankees. If it's any other team or almost any other player it's a non-issue.

And knapplc...I don't hate ARod and I don't hate the Yankees. .

Really???

mweir145 wrote: The Yankees are my most hated team. I hope the Sox slaughter them this weekend.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Thu May 31, 2007 1:58 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:
EWSPECIALTY wrote:This is exactly what the yanks needed to turn the team around. I'm betting on it.

I don't think many of the Yankees spend much time here at the cafe, which is the only place that this is a big deal. :-°

Exactly. It hasn't been blown up to this proportion in the media, not yet anyway. I doubt a non-issue like this is going to make them circle the wagons. Being 13.5 back should do that on its own.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mrider » Thu May 31, 2007 1:59 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
blankman wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
blankman wrote:
PyRo8 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
knapplc wrote:
PyRo8 wrote:
5 wrote:in your opinion, which one is funnier?

(a) A-Rod fooled the Toronto infield

(b) that we're still arguing about this

or c) mweir stressing himself over 17 pages of this hilarious thread

We have a winner. :-D ;-D

What do you propose I should do? Just give up and admit what ARod did was a perfectly fine thing to do, when it most clearly wasn't. Hah, I think you know how I've always done things on this forum. :-D

i dont care what you do. i think you're just being a homer. if this wasnt a blue jays thing you wouldnt be spilling your guts out for 18 pages and counting.

Thats not even counting the 15 or so pages in Game Commentary that he's been going for. :-°

The great Blankman, with another great contribution. ;-D

But whining about a play where your guy was made a fool of for 40 pages is contributing?

Why don't you say 'bush league' again. We haven't heard that enough.

Still think he said "hah?"

Who cares what he said? It was one syllable long. It could have been anything. Maybe it was pitched at an A flat. Maybe McDonald usually yells an A flat and both ARod and Howie Clark have perfect pitch. Boy that ARod, he sure is crafty.

Didn't a lot of people already explain the significance between saying something like "hah" and saying something like "mine?"

Exactly, something like ha, or like mine. It could have been Dog! or Mow! or Nay!

Who knows what it was?

Maybe Selig will send it to a forensics expert so we can figure out exactly what it was.

Man, I can't wait for some concrete scientific analysis. Then this thread will really get interesting.

Yeh... NO. Not funny.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Thu May 31, 2007 1:59 pm

mweir, I'm still waiting for you to explain how a professional baseball player playing in the Majors has any excuse for allowing one syllable uttered from behind to call him off the ball, when since he was five years old he's been told, shown, trained, brainwashed to listen for, "I got it, I got it" or "MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE!"

How is it possible that one syllable caused this to happen? For all those questions you seem to have no answer for, you have yet to address this niggling little flaw in your argument.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Thu May 31, 2007 2:00 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
knapplc wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
knapplc wrote:Thanks for the Youtube clip, mweir.

After watching that, it's clear that anyone bashing ARod for this is simply looking for some way to bash ARod or the Yankees, or is a Blue Jays fan.

He tried to distract the fielder. Attempts to distract your opponent are part of baseball. End of story.

Did you see the example of the umpire calling out a college player earlier this year for doing the same thing as ARod did under the interference rule?

It isn't anywhere near as clear cut as you seem to be suggesting.

So what? Rules are interpreted differently by different umpire crews around MLB EVERY DAY. So what if some college ump called a guy out for this? When has a MLB player been called out for doing this?

This happens in baseball at some level EVERY SINGLE DAY. It is a part of the game, just like any other attempt at deception.

This thread is only happening because it's ARod and/or the Yankees. If it's any other team or almost any other player it's a non-issue.

And knapplc...I don't hate ARod and I don't hate the Yankees. .

Really???

mweir145 wrote: The Yankees are my most hated team. I hope the Sox slaughter them this weekend.

:-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 5 » Thu May 31, 2007 2:06 pm

so do you think Bonds took steroids? :-?
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mrider » Thu May 31, 2007 2:08 pm

If you are asking me, I don't really think it matters. Everyone took steroids, the pitchers, he hitters everyone. And the only reason everyone is singling him out is because he doesn't like to talk about the media.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rich101682 » Thu May 31, 2007 2:12 pm

5 wrote:so do you think Bonds took steroids? :-?

HA HA HA HA!!!
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu May 31, 2007 2:13 pm

you guys should just let this go...it's not like he tried swatting the ball out of the guys glove or something
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Ty Webb » Thu May 31, 2007 2:14 pm

after a ridiculously long lunch i watched the video. it doesn't change my mind. this is a non-issue. its the third baseman's fault for not catching the ball. did rodriguez distract him? yup. do they have a right to be upset? sure, they lost the game, looked stupid on that play, and still have gibbons as a manager. as far as the announcers go (who have never seen anything like this in the game) i think they are full of it. you are telling me that a 15 year veteran of MLB has never seen anything like this in his whole career? thats a load. they are defending their player and piling on arod. remember, they are announcers who are paid to deliver color commentary for people who are less "mindful" of what is happening in the game. was it sneaky? sure. bush maybe? sure. does it really matter? nope. anyone getting all hot and bothered over it has way too much time.

like others have said before... plunk him next time you see him. story over.
Ty Webb
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers