Who's going to be the biggest bust of the year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who's going to be the biggest bust of the year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Guzman24 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:37 pm

Amazing Oopah wrote:After today, I think Carlos Zambrano's name deserves to be in this thread.

;-D :-P
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A2J » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:48 pm

Too lazy to read through the entire thread, but I nominate Zambrano and Abreu...
A2J
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ReginaldVelJohnson » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:53 pm

One of my head to head teams featured the following:

Mike Piazza
Albert Pujols
Julio Lugo
Ryan Zimmerman
Bobby Abreu
Rocco Baldelli
Nick Markakis
Paul Konerko
Carlos Zambrano
Mike Mussina
Mariano Rivera
Brad Lidge
Mike Gonzalez
Chris Carpenter

You can imagine how well that team is doing...
I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class... especially since I rule.
ReginaldVelJohnson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Geek » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:55 pm

Amazing Oopah wrote:After today, I think Carlos Zambrano's name deserves to be in this thread.

I mentioned him and King Felix as the leading contenders for SP Bust of the Year.

I think Zambrano has clinched it though.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kingctb27 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:57 pm

"The biggest bust" will almost always be a pitcher, and this year it will be a guy like Zambrano, Carp, etc.

Hitters Hit...
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby duckbillgates » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:14 pm

Hmm, this is an interesting thread ...

Felix Hernandez in the running for SP bust of the year? Well, that's insane. After last season, he was a draft bargain in most leagues this year (6th round or later). Came out of the gate unhittable, sidelined with an injury, hasn't found a groove since returning. Not even close to bust material yet.

Dice-K is going to get better once he gets used to the MLB? More likely the other way around. Just because he has a great win-loss number doesn't mean he's been ace material. Guess what? I would rather have Felix the rest of the way.

Besides, starting pitchers are always too risky to be true busts. The ones that really hurt are the bats you draft early when you think you know exactly what you're going to get, so I'd have to say Pujols and Berkman are up there.

And Soriano is less-than-predictable anyway, but I don't think anyone was expecting this.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Little Lee » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:53 pm

Haven't read all of the comments in this thread but my choice will be Jason Schmidt. Dodgers made a big investment in him and I believe he is done. H emay pitch but I don't believe they are going to like the results.
Little Lee
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby partibrejker » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:13 pm

Laean wrote:
partibrejker wrote:well if we take a close look at dice k's season so far fantasy wise he ranks:

Innings pitched:72.2 - 21st
Won games: 7 - 4th
K's: 68 - 9th
Whip:1.31 - 62nd

so this is from yahoo, and it is for the whole MLB pitchers
i guess only stat doesn't go well with him is his high era in 4:00+ but overall he's been a decent fantasy and real life pitcher.
Now he might be a bust for some of you because you fell for their expection of Dice K having a CY Young season, but if you knew better you should have just expected him to be an average pitcher his first season.

i thought he'd be between 3.20 to 3.60 era. not cy young, but certainly an ace. a 4.50+ era pitcher is not an ace, period.

i guess only stat doesn't go well with him is his high era in 4:00+ but overall he's been a decent fantasy and real life pitcher.

don't forget the whip.

and i'd guess that the wins are a testiment to the strength of the redsox offense more than a 4.50+ era (so far) pitcher like dice k.

well that's you thinking. I didn't think he was going to be that good and an ace in his first year. But since we are talking about fantasy wise we can't have him as a bust since he is having an OK season, and being his rookie season in majors we can't say his a bust compared to his last year (Atkins) but we could say he is a bust for some of our expectations.

Overall even with a decent record, bad ERA and an OK amount of K's (being in top 10) he is decent and not such a bust.
Davor F.
partibrejker
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Laean » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:53 am

partibrejker wrote:
Laean wrote:
partibrejker wrote:well if we take a close look at dice k's season so far fantasy wise he ranks:

Innings pitched:72.2 - 21st
Won games: 7 - 4th
K's: 68 - 9th
Whip:1.31 - 62nd

so this is from yahoo, and it is for the whole MLB pitchers
Now he might be a bust for some of you because you fell for their expection of Dice K having a CY Young season, but if you knew better you should have just expected him to be an average pitcher his first season.

i thought he'd be between 3.20 to 3.60 era. not cy young, but certainly an ace. a 4.50+ era pitcher is not an ace, period.

don't forget the whip.

and i'd guess that the wins are a testiment to the strength of the redsox offense more than a 4.50+ era (so far) pitcher like dice k.

well that's you thinking. I didn't think he was going to be that good and an ace in his first year. But since we are talking about fantasy wise we can't have him as a bust since he is having an OK season, and being his rookie season in majors we can't say his a bust compared to his last year (Atkins) but we could say he is a bust for some of our expectations.

Overall even with a decent record, bad ERA and an OK amount of K's (being in top 10) he is decent and not such a bust.

well that's you thinking. ;-D
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers