Who's going to be the biggest bust of the year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who's going to be the biggest bust of the year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who's going to be the biggest bust of the year?

Postby Geek » Thu May 31, 2007 2:01 am

Ignoring guys who are out because of injuries.

The Yankees as a team should get an honorary award.

They have contenders like:

Robinson Cano
Johnny Damon
Bobby Abreu
Jason Giambi
Mike Mussina
Mariano Rivera

Carlos Zambrano and Felix Hernandez look to be the biggest busts at SP.

Scott Rolen and Ryan Zimmerman have been awful at 3b.

Josh Barfield will rival Cano for the 2b spot.

Others?
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Laean » Thu May 31, 2007 2:08 am

mariano has over a K per IP in may, along with around 2 era or less and 1 whip or less. he's fine. everyone was just panicking again with him like they do at the beginning of every year.

i wasn't expecting much from cano, abreu, giambi, or mussina this year, and i don't think most others did either, so i wouldn't call them the biggest busts.

damon, i did expect him to perform, but he's not that hyped up anyway so not the biggest bust.

again, i didn't expect much from felix, zimmerman, or barfield this year.

rolen is in the same boat as damon for me. he's a bust, but not the biggest.

i do agree with you that carlos zambrano could end up being the biggest bust this year. it's too bad too because i traded konerko for him early on in the season.

my vote for the biggest bust for this season is daisuke matsuzaka. i'm not saying he sucks (not yet anyway, we'll see if he'll be able to bring his era below 4 in the 2nd half), but he was SOOOOOOO hyped up coming into this season, anything worse than 16 Ws, 200 Ks, 3.00-3.50 era, and 1.10-1.20 whip in 200+ IP would be a disappointment. and the fact that he's not even under 4 era right now makes it just that much more worse.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby byfrcp » Thu May 31, 2007 2:10 am

Still not time for this topic yet, 5 days ago Delgado would have been on this list, 5 days can change a guys "bust" status.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Geek » Thu May 31, 2007 2:14 am

byfrcp wrote:Still not time for this topic yet, 5 days ago Delgado would have been on this list, 5 days can change a guys "bust" status.

Possibly for power hitters.

Pitchers, on the other hand, need about a month to recover from a bad start. And, generally if they get lit up for an entire month, it's because they're just plain bad, not because of luck or a stumble here or there.

In five days, Zambrano will still have awful stats. And he'll still have awful stats in ten days.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby partibrejker » Thu May 31, 2007 2:31 am

Laean wrote:
my vote for the biggest bust for this season is daisuke matsuzaka. i'm not saying he sucks (not yet anyway, we'll see if he'll be able to bring his era below 4 in the 2nd half), but he was SOOOOOOO hyped up coming into this season, anything worse than 16 Ws, 200 Ks, 3.00-3.50 era, and 1.10-1.20 whip in 200+ IP would be a disappointment. and the fact that he's not even under 4 era right now makes it just that much more worse.

he is still 7-3 and as the season progress and he gets used to major league he can only get better .... i wouldn't call him such a bust. He might not put up the numbers as "they" said he would, but he is still going to be one of the better pitchers in AL and can't be considered a bust.
Davor F.
partibrejker
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Laean » Thu May 31, 2007 4:34 am

partibrejker wrote:
Laean wrote:

he is still 7-3 and as the season progress and he gets used to major league he can only get better .... i wouldn't call him such a bust. He might not put up the numbers as "they" said he would, but he is still going to be one of the better pitchers in AL and can't be considered a bust.

yeah he MAY turn it around. if the season ended right now though, i'd say the 50 mil it took just to negotiate with him, and the 100 mil overall for a 4.50+ pitcher, and along with all the dice-k mania hype that existed, he'd be the biggest bust.

he is still 7-3 and as the season progress and he gets used to major league he can only get better

or the league could have figured him out even more the 2nd time around.

He might not put up the numbers as "they" said he would

"they" was EVERYONE.

but he is still going to be one of the better pitchers in AL and can't be considered a bust

if you're just "one of the better pitchers in the AL" for 100 mil that it took you to get here and all the publicity you got, then you're a bust.

i remember reading the scouting reports on matsuzaka being that he had excellent control, numerous # of different pitches, and excellent stamina. what he didn't have was that one dominant pitch. (i haven't seen the gyroball yet.) his fastball was supposed to be pretty straight and tops out at what, 96 mph? so far, he hasn't shown the excellent control. and if it's true that he doesn't have a dominant pitch, then he'll need to get his control figured out or major leaguers are going to be hitting bombs off him consistently. and given that he has given up homers in the past 6 straight outings, hopefully it'll be soon.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DSheppard » Thu May 31, 2007 6:42 am

michael young is up there, unfortunately.

random note since someone mentioned the gyroball: Anyone with mlb.tv who wants to see a gyroball make someone look silly, go and watch the first out of the bottom of the 7th inning of tuesdays ranger game against the athletics. CJ Wilson confirmed the pitch he struck chavez out on was a gyroball.

may have been 5th/6th inning but i think it was bottom of the 7th
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ukrneal » Thu May 31, 2007 7:25 am

Well, if we assume that Pujols continues his improvement and isn't a bust, it would have to be Berkman so far.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Legia13 » Thu May 31, 2007 8:52 am

I'm definetly going with Garret Atkins. The guy regularly went in the 4-5 round range if not sooner, and has been just AWFUL. Sporting the second to worst batting average on the Rockies, all he has to show for 2 months work is 3 homers and 20 rbis - which Arod accomplished halfway through April.
Legia13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu May 31, 2007 8:55 am

I'm not sure you should call players who are coming off surgery or getting injured as busts. Delgado had surgery on his wrist and still feeling the effects for example. Felix has injury problems also.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers