Starting A Catcher - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Starting A Catcher

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Starting A Catcher

Postby niner03 » Wed May 30, 2007 8:35 pm

Just trying to get some outside input.... my 12 team league is having a huge debate/argument. We have one team not starting a catcher. He dropped his, (Pudge), about 2 weeks ago and doesnt have a replacement because: "theres not one worthy of a roster spot." I personally dont see a problem but others are claiming illegal roster, cheating, etc. The league is split 50/50

Anyone ever come across this??? Any solutions/recommendations??

Thanks in advance for the insight.
niner03
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Knights » Wed May 30, 2007 8:52 pm

It's a valid strategy to play without a catcher if you feel that playing one would hurt your team more than it would help you. Nothing wrong with that.
Knights
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 101)

Postby Danger » Wed May 30, 2007 9:11 pm

I would say its strategy rather than "cheating." It's like starting 7 SP's who are RP eligible.
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby JTWood » Thu May 31, 2007 2:03 am

Is there a rule that says you have to start a catcher? Usually, the rules just say you have to have one on your roster.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby shawngee03 » Thu May 31, 2007 11:33 am

if there is nothing set up to call his roster illegal(CBS does this), then it is well within the rules. i personally would rather have him do this. unless this is a real shallow league not getting stats, while they will be minimal, from a catcher should hurt him in the long run.

i dont feel its worth it just to have another SP. if he needs to keep more than everyone else then taht means his arent that good. so i say let him do it and laugh in the background
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby greenjd » Thu May 31, 2007 1:33 pm

Sounds legal to me. It may come back to bite him in the long run, but if he feels it's a good strategy and the rules allow for it, why not?
greenjd
College Coach
College Coach

Should be OK

Postby UFB Commish » Thu May 31, 2007 2:15 pm

Other than losing the roster spot, which he could use elsewhere, what would stop him from simply adding a catcher who will never play like Mike Lieberthal or Humberto Cota? If he wants to play a spot short that should be his choice. Probably not a smart choice as he gives up all category help in order to maintain AVG, but his choice none the less.
UFB Commish
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu May 31, 2007 3:08 pm

There is nothing wrong with not having a catcher on his roster. He's the one valuing an extra bench player that he can strategically use at his discretion over a catcher that will give him minimal value. I do this all the time. He'll miss out on 120 games of stats, which will be 50-60 runs, 50-60 RBIs, 10 HRs, and a .260 batting average. If he thinks he can make up those losses in other ways, power to him.
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 20)

Postby MTUCache » Thu May 31, 2007 3:20 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:He'll miss out on 120 games of stats, which will be 50-60 runs, 50-60 RBIs, 10 HRs, and a .260 batting average. If he thinks he can make up those losses in other ways, tell him to enjoy his crack.

Fixed your post.

Seriously... why wouldn't you want this guy to do this if you were playing against him? He's improving the depth of the position for everyone else by not carrying any catchers, and he's playing with one less roster spot than everybody else.

This is idiotic on his part. I agree that most catchers completely suck when compared to the rest of the team, but you're throwing away just about every counting stat (R,2B,3B,HR,RBI,SB) in favor of one averaging stat (AVG/OPS/SLG/whatever). It's moronic.

In spot times I can definitely understand this (you're already leading in several categories and don't want to sacrifice your AVG), or you want to keep an extra player on your roster for a few days and your C is the first reasonable cut option... but doing this over the course of a long season is just crazy.

Honestly, the only thing dumber than actually doing it is complaining about it when your opponent is doing it.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RJ24VC15 » Thu May 31, 2007 7:06 pm

The only problem I see is bad strategy, but it's not cheating.
RJ24VC15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner