Your Word of the Day - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Your Word of the Day

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Your Word of the Day

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:57 am

eew
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Your Word of the Day

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:24 am

AdvRider wrote:My God, there's a word for everything! :*)

American Heritage Dictionary
tup (v. intr.) To copulate with a ewe.


what if it's with a male sheep?
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Your Word of the Day

Postby AdvRider » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:22 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
AdvRider wrote:My God, there's a word for everything! :*)

American Heritage Dictionary
tup (v. intr.) To copulate with a ewe.


what if it's with a male sheep?


Um, should we be wondering why "Dan Lambskin" is asking? :-?

Sorry dude, it's too funny! :-b
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 652
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 10 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 49 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality

Re: Your Word of the Day

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:58 am

circumlocution \ser-kum-loh-KYOO-shun\ noun
1 : the use of an unnecessarily large number of words to express an idea
2 : evasion in speech
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Your Word of the Day

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:04 am

StlSluggers wrote:circumlocution \ser-kum-loh-KYOO-shun\ noun
1 : the use of an unnecessarily large number of words to express an idea
2 : evasion in speech


Good one! As a neuropsychologist, I use this word nearly every day to describe patients with word finding difficulty ;-D
Image
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 6490
(Past Year: 45)
Joined: 4 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Your Word of the Day

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:18 am

simulacrum \sim-yuh-LAK-rum\ noun
1 : image, representation
2 : an insubstantial form or semblance of something : trace
3 : A moron, as shown here.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Your Word of the Day

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:23 pm

Image
Image

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Posts: 8618
Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: we don't burn gasoline, we burn our dreams

Re: Your Word of the Day

Postby Amazinz » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:09 pm

Destiny. Not exactly a Word of the Day but... Has anyone noticed this "war" being waged by the sports media against the phrase controlling one's own destiny. It was started on SportsCenter, then Mike & Mike got a hold of it, and then Kostas took it and ran with it as if it was his own idea on Football Night In America. The assertion by these buffoons is that since destiny is inevitable you can never control it. While this is true in one sense it is not in all sense of the word, which has several definitions that vary subtly. In another sense, destiny is the mechanism by which your ultimate fate is reached. So when a team only needs to win out in order to reach the playoffs it is appropriate to say that that team controls their own destiny. I realize this is not a compelling topic but I figured if it had a shot, it would be in a thread such as this. I don't know why this bothers me but it has quickly become a pet peeve. :-[
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Re: Your Word of the Day

Postby daullaz » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:27 am

Amazinz wrote:Destiny. Not exactly a Word of the Day but... Has anyone noticed this "war" being waged by the sports media against the phrase controlling one's own destiny. It was started on SportsCenter, then Mike & Mike got a hold of it, and then Kostas took it and ran with it as if it was his own idea on Football Night In America. The assertion by these buffoons is that since destiny is inevitable you can never control it. While this is true in one sense it is not in all sense of the word, which has several definitions that vary subtly. In another sense, destiny is the mechanism by which your ultimate fate is reached. So when a team only needs to win out in order to reach the playoffs it is appropriate to say that that team controls their own destiny. I realize this is not a compelling topic but I figured if it had a shot, it would be in a thread such as this. I don't know why this bothers me but it has quickly become a pet peeve. :-[


With all the stupid phrases they say each day, it's funny that that's the one they pick out to pick on.
Image
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4884
(Past Year: 56)
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Babel

Previous

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact